Old 07-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Want to go for a boat ride?

I rounded up a crew to help get the boat around to Seattle. It’s going to be about 650 miles and we expect it to take 7 days unless we run into weather issues. There will be 3 of us on the boat from here to Longview, WA where one of the crew (Jim) has to leave to take his daughter to college. He’s had some cruising experience on Beachcomber, having helped me take her to Portland and back.

Jim will be replaced in Longview by Doug who will be on the boat as we finish the trip to Seattle. Doug and I met in 2014 when he and I helped a new friend (Stuart) take his boat from Seattle to Stockton, CA. So Doug has some very welcome open ocean experience in addition to being an accomplished skipper in his own right.

The third part of the crew is Tom. Tom and I met when Doug and I took the boat to CA. Tom is also an experienced skipper, having taken his boat from Longview, WA where he lives and docks it, to Alaska every year. So lots of open water experience plus experience going back and forth over the infamous Columbia River bar.

Me? I’m just along to do the cooking and cleanup. Now you may chuckle at that, but I’m party serious. I’ve just finished a round of chemo treatments to fight off stage IV cancer. One of the lingering side effects is an unsteadiness on my feet. I’ve promised my wife I would NOT go out on deck unless someone’s life was in jeopardy. I also made that unsteadiness clear to the other crew and made sure they knew about it ahead and were OK with taking on my share of the deck duties. All readily agreed to take on any additional load.

So, with this kind of a setup and crew, what could go wrong? Well, my biggest concern is the weather, and not the weather on the ocean. My concern is the winds on the Columbia. We have to pass through the infamous Columbia River Gorge area that’s widely known for being the wind surfing capital of the world. We also have to pass through 4 locks on the Columbia and 1 in Seattle.

The Columbia River locks can be tricky on a calm day. In one of the locks on the Snake River, I had the wind spin my 330 Sundancer (33’ express cruiser) in a full circle when they opened the downstream (upwind) gate to let me exit. It acted like a venturi with the wind. To say that I was experiencing a major pucker would be a gross understatement.

I’m going to do all the boat driving when we’re going through a lock or in any docking/undocking maneuvers. Other than that we’re going to do 2-hour shifts with each of us getting a turn at the helm, as a spotter for debris/crab pots etc. The third person will have his turn to rest before coming back on the helm. We did that on the way to California and it worked well.

We’ve also decided that ANY of us has the right to say “Nope, we’re not going out today.” That takes the burden off anyone and relieves them from feeling bad about making the call.

We’re leaving Tuesday, July 7th around 0845 or a little earlier. The first lock we encounter is McNary. It’s about 36 miles downriver and has an average lift of 183’ though that may be a bit higher now because the river is high. All the locks on the river have lock times for downstream travel of 9:30, 12:30, 3:30 and 6:30. We intend to make the 12:30 lock. That let’s us out of the lock around 1:00p and it’s another 47 miles to our first stop of Arlington, OR. We should be in there around 5:00, just in time for dinner.

So, come on along with us. We’ve all decided this is going to be a FUN trip and the only schedules we’re setting will be to make the lock times at the dams. Please put your tray tables in the upright and locked positions and get ready to go for a lengthy boat ride.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 07-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: US PNW
So glad you are bringing us along! I've been itching for a boat trip.

I have not boated on the Columbia, but I have camped along the banks and watched the crowds of colorful kite boarders. That wind is not to be trifled with! Anything set down outside (when on land) will quickly be well east of you

I've boated that stretch of the coast one time (in the opposite direction, twenty years ago, in September). An enclosed steering station would have been well appreciated.

This voyage sounds like it will make some great memories. There's nothing like a long trip with good friends. I'm tuned in for the duration
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Sounds like it will be a great trip. Another great case of making the best of a bad situation. I will be following along. And your rule on going or not is the same as ours. No one can say "yes, we will go" and anyone can say "no." It's not a vote, one "no" wins. Hope it's a fun time all the way with friends enjoying themselves.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Attached Thumbnails
popcorn.jpg  
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Wish I was going, guess Ill just follow along like everyone else here, Cheers and have fun!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Following
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Houston, TX
Looking forward to following along...
dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston Area
Do you have AIS ? can we follow you on one of the AIS tracking sites ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Hey!
I'll be crossing the I-5 bridge about noon on Wednesday, enroute Tacoma. I'll be sure to wave.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Would love to go but I’m a fairly high risk for Covid.
We’ve stayed quite well isolated and a week on a boat w others seems like stepping off the high dive.
I did that in the Navy in 1961. We all stepped off the 50’ platform at the big indoor pool. Was really scared but like many others didn’t want to show it so off I went. I followed directions (unusual for me) .. pinched my nose shut w my elbows tight on against my chest and put my head well back. And lastly crossed my legs together tightly.
It was a rush to be sure but the fear disappeared quickly as I went for another jump later.
But against the covid I’ve been taking few chances. We haven’t had a single person in the house since it started.
But I’ll watch here on the pad.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Old Lyme
Vessel Name: Outlander
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400
Good Luck, I'll be following along. Very Exciting
Capt Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
GFC
Guru

Well they say that hindsight is 20/20 and I’d have to agree with that. We were planning on leaving this morning but after checking on the winds all day, and watching them build throughout the day, I decided last night to canx todays’ start. It was the right decision and, after looking at the winds this morning it was the right decision. Winds at our first destination this morning were in the mid 30’s with gusts to 41. Ain’t no way I’d want to be going through the lock or docking the boat in that kind of wind. Tomorrow’s winds are showing steady at 14 with gusts to 20. That’s OK so we’re just shifting our schedule back one day.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Safe travels GFC! Good luck on weather northbound.

We turned the corner on the 4th and stumbled into a great fireworks show at Neah Bay. Drizzle in Port Townsend today.
GoneFarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
No unfortunatly no AIS. Who need AIS this far up river. Looks like the bar crossing will happen on the 13th. Out the bar at 6 am, high tide is 0830. Heading north predicted winds are from the north at 17 mph. Seas NW at 4 feet, 7 seconds. Captain hard at work.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_105814.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	104692
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #17
GFC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Would love to go but I’m a fairly high risk for Covid.
We’ve stayed quite well isolated and a week on a boat w others seems like stepping off the high dive.
I am too, but one thing my wife insisted on was that everyone get tested right before the trip. We all did and we're all negative. That doesn't mean that one of us might have picked up the bug after the tests but the chances of that are slim. We're starting with a clean slate and will be careful as we venture out.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
What's prompting the boat move to Seattle? Upcoming travel plans or something?
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Good to hear that Mike.
We haf’ta do certain things like taxes and the grocery store. We get over a weeks food. And our two acres helps. However my friend wanted to go into a Starbucks but I said no. We broke out our camp chairs that we both had in the car and put on masks. Seemed like overkill at first but as I drove away it didn’t seem overkill at all.

Weather is usually unstable in the spring. For me it was the hardest time of the year to fly ultralights. But it was the time of year when we wanted to fly most having just finished winter and seeing much sun. Hope you don’t get stuck in Ilwaco too many days. Cheers and arm waving.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Good to hear that Mike.
We haf’ta do certain things like taxes and the grocery store. We get over a weeks food. And our two acres helps. However my friend wanted to go into a Starbucks but I said no. We broke out our camp chairs that we both had in the car and put on masks. Seemed like overkill at first but as I drove away it didn’t seem overkill at all.

Weather is usually unstable in the spring. For me it was the hardest time of the year to fly ultralights. But it was the time of year when we wanted to fly most having just finished winter and seeing much sun. Hope you don’t get stuck in Ilwaco too many days. Cheers and arm waving.
Wifey B: And kudos to you for being prudent and minimizing your own risk. There are no guarantees but we all must do what we can.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote