Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
RT

You might have a point there.
I have a hard time dealing with the mindset that wind is free, so should everything else be.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #22
Guru

Arrived in Gulfport , Ms. today. two towns short of Ocean Springs.
My port starter motor (I think) quit so pulled into Gulfport where I knew there would be plenty of room for inability to maneuver in small areas. had a mechanic check it out and Monday my starter motor will be rebuilt/repaired.

Was met by several old friends and had a great day. This morning we got to see the first dolphins since Galveston bay.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Congrats on your safe voyage so far, Tony. Don't get into a fight over a cajun queen.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Congrats on your safe voyage so far, Tony. Don't get into a fight over a cajun queen.
You mean like this?

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #25
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Hi Tony, Glad to hear you made it across fine congrats to both of you. When you have a chance let us know how it went. the Gulfport marina is nice!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #26
Guru

The Trip Went Well

Everything was going fine so far with the exception of the Ind. Canal Lock.
The lock master (a young guy) was a real jerk. I'll tell that story at a later time. Other than that the trip went very well and both Helen and I enjoyed it immensely.

Usually I run one engine at a time except when maneuvering.
The other day, after leaving the Ind. Canal Locks, I turned off the Port Engine. When I went to restart later on during the day, it would not restart.
A minor inconvenience is the way I look at it. I had plenty of gas to make it alternating between engines which was no longer possible. Of course, the tank that had the most gas was on the engine that wouldn't start. I still had enough gas to make it Ocean Springs, but did not want to take my chances so we ran one engine to Gulfport and got towed into the harbor. My boat has very small rudders and anything under about 5 kts, it wont steer. So I took the safe route and got towed in. No big deal. I removed the starter motor and brought it to a place to be rebuilt. I should have it back by Monday afternoon.

Gulfport made for an excellent stop since we still have many friends here.
The last time I was here, the marina was undergoing a complete reconstruction. I cant believe it is the same place. Huge harbormaster's office. large pavilion with ever changing lights at night and very wide piers.
they did maintain the large fairways between piers which I always admired.

Here are some pics I took early this morning.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #27
Guru

Oops!

Here are the pics.
This sure ain't the Gulfport I remember.
Attached Thumbnails
P1180090.JPG   P1180006.JPG   P1180011.JPG   P1180095.JPG   P1180088.JPG  

Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #28

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Everything was going fine so far with the exception of the Ind. Canal Lock.
The lock master (a young guy) was a real jerk. I'll tell that story at a later time. Other than that the trip went very well and both Helen and I enjoyed it immensely.

Tony,
Great that you are having a good time.
Considering the foregoing please call the LOCKMASTER at the Industrial Lock. His phone number is in the link at the top of this thread. Over the years I have dealt with them and he does want to hear about any difficulties with employees.
If the bad ones are not reported then the problem cannot be fixed.
Good idea to complement the good ones as well.

CCC
p.s. Steve sent me down to the dock in Houma but you had left that am.
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
also...getting towed...that's what you pay for (hopefully pay for)...

I enjoy the shi* out of towing boaters..meet great people.. trade info. Never be afraid to call...if you get flack...reevaluate what the situation is. Sometimes if you are twin engine...you won't get a long tow...but usually an assist into wherever you need to get.

Can't wait for the lock story...like bridges...sometimes the tenders think they are more than they really are...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #30
Guru

N. O. Ind. Lock

Charles:

Sorry we missed you. Hope to catch u next time around.
I got the tel no. from your original post #1. I'll wait till Monday to call and hope to get the man in charge.

The short story version of what happened is this;
We were told to tie up on the port side. We entered and went down to the end where the dock tender was almost hiding.
He passed me the rope and gave me instructions to not let go. There was a really strong crosswind trying to blow me away from that wall. My boat started to bow into the wall and stern away. My bowsprit and spare anchor was scraping the wall really bad. I had a hard time holding the boat in the crosswind. Then the sailboat came behind me and the lock tender told him to tie up to me. With the crosswind I could barely hold both boats. Then the sailboat started swing out of control. He spun me around a little more and he realized I couldn't hold on much longer. so he was yelling up to the lock tender to watch what was going on and come up with another plan. After all, we were the only 2 boats in the lock. So the lock tender yelled down to untie from each other. At the point the sail boat spun around and his dinghy hanging on davits caught one of the dinghy hand-hold ropes and was lifting the dinghy loose. All this while we are being lowered. Finally the guy said he would stop the lowering, but didn't. My bowsprit and anchor were catching hell. He then told the sailboat to maneuver behind me and he will throw him a line which he did and walked away.
Once we dropped about 6 feet we were no longer affected by the crosswind.
Bottom line is that I had no real damage and the sailboat had some kind of fancy dinghy cover, cant remember what it is called, anyway, it was damaged.

As a minor point, when the gate opened, there were 2 barges tied side by side with the tow vessel behind them. I mean like right there. Had to squeeze through a small opening they left on the right side of the lock by making a sharp right turn and then a left to get away from the lock.

BTW, the Harvey lock was a piece of cake.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
Guru

PS neeld.

It was actually an assist in the harbor area. There was a strong crosswind and I didn't want to hit anything or anyone. That's all part of powerboat cruising. I could make right turns if my speed is up but not exactly the way to get into a slip. This harbor marina is a great place but the new docks leave something to be desired in that with the very low water it would be relatively easy to get under the dock and see some real damage.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #32

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Too bad about the treatment from the lock keeper. The LOCKMASTER is Michael O'Dowd as I said his name and ph no is in the link that I gave at the start of this thread.

Here is a primer on Locking in Louisiana that I wrote for a magazine years ago.
It mentions HOW TO LOCK THROUGH. By the way I made sure that the Locks got a copy.
I suggest that in ANY LOCK makeup with TWO LINES and always take a turn on a cleat. Do not makeup to the cleat merely take a turn on it holding the bitter end in your hand for control. This true on the big locks that you will encounter up the river.

Gulf ICW Locks
-- A Primer
(or the Locks of Louisiana)
Having transited all of the locks on the Gulf ICW hundreds of times over the past 30+ years I take this opportunity to
give the benefit of my hard won experience.
The Gulf ICW (ICW) has all but one of its locks in La.
Texas has one that is basically a flood gate. The Cross Fla. Canal is not part of the ICW.
Transiting West to East:
CALCASIEU LOCK is immed. East of Lake Charles. It is constructed of horizontal 12x12 timbers. That have 12"
horizontal spaces between them. Difficult to tie to but MOST OF THE TIME you will not tie up. There are bollards that
are set into the timbers. The lockkeeper will tell you to hold in the middle and when the far gate is open proceed out. This
is, basically, a salt water barrier so there will be little difference in water height.
LELAND BOWMAN LOCK immediately West of Intracoastal City. Again horizontal timbers , saltwater barrier and
probably will not have to tie up.
BAYOU BOUF LOCK immed. East of Morgan City. Horizontal timber sides like the Calcasieu Lock. Height change is
usually 3 feet or less.
The preceding locks fill by opening the gates slightly and allowing the chamber to fill.
HARVEY LOCK, as in "xx Miles West of Harvey Lock" !!!! West bank of the Miss. river at New Orleans. This lock
has smooth concrete sides with cleats set into the lock wall. You will tie up on the right hand wall. The bridge immediately
in front ofthe lock will open with the lock.
ALGIERS LOCK is an alternative to the Harvey only if the Harvey is out of service. Using it requires you to travel
upstream in the Miss. to the Industrial Lock on the East bank and it is also very busy with commercial tows.
INDUSTRIAL CANAL LOCK is on the East bank of the river. It has smooth concrete walls but ,and this is a BIG
BUT, the lockkeeper will drop a line to you and you will tie up with HIS LINE. Make sure you get TWO from him one
forbow and stern. THIS WILL BE ON YOUR LEFT SIDE.
Some suggestions:
1. Call the locks on CH 14 and tell them you are a power/sail pleasure boat.
2. Set fenders and or fender boards on the preferred side but have some on the other side for things can change is a
lock, particularly if you go thru with a commercial tow. If a tow is in front of you stay as far back as you can. Do
not untie until he is almost out of the gate then you go. His prop wash will push you around. Do not pickup your
fenders until you have cleared the wing wall. By the way, NEVER bed your lines down in a lock only take several
turns on your cleats and standby it.
3. Use the largest fenders that you have. My wife made me get 12'x 34' fenders. She put it into words that even I
could understand. "I am not getting on that boat again until I get 12x34 fenders." Had them shipped the next day!
Trust me on this one , I cannot believe how much easier docking and locking is with those fenders.
4. At New Orleans do NOT GET IN A HURRY. I allocate 5 hours for this transit. That is both locks and the 5
miles in the river between them plus the Industrial Canal. I hasten to add that the last 6 transits we have done in
two hours or so!! What an improvement over past years. I have done this at night and in the rain, sometimes both
at the same time, but I certainly do not recommend it and if it is your first time , don't even consider it.
General suggestions on the ICW:
1. Always know at what mile marker you are West or East of Harvey lock.
2. Call every tow before you overtake and get permission. ( Monitor Ch. 13 at all times). Change to Ch. 16 at the
Rigoletts East of New Orleans.
3. When you see the head of a barge coming around a bend toward you , just remember that the tow boat could be
1100 feet back. He can't see you.
4. Be prepared to STOP and even back down when in the presence of tows.
5. Do not over take a tow if another is coming toward you or if one tow is passing another, there is NOT ROOM
for three of you abreast.
6. At the bends in the ICW a long tow can DRAG It'S STERN ON ONE BANK AND THE BOW OF THE
TOW ON THE OTHER. Can you spell " be careful"!!!!
7. Keep track of the tows ahead of you who you will be meeting , by making notes of radio transmissions between
tows. This, so you will not be completely surprised when meeting an oncoming tow.
8. I always remind myself, when in the presence of tows that, I am out there playing and they are earning a living. It
does not hurt to say this on the radio now and then!
9. Radio transmissions travel a long way ahead of you!!
10.Know the " Whistle Signals" remember them this way;
If I am on the right it is ONE WHISTLE
If I am on the left it is TWO WHISTLE.
This is true in EITHER passing or overtaking situations.
11.Do NOT anchor in the canal.
12.Do NOT run at night.
13.If you are in a semidisplacement or fast boat SLOW DOWN FOR TOWS. Your wake can cause serious
damage to the barges.
14.During the summer and fall there will be a lot of water lillies in the canal. Do your best to avoid them as they can
clog your intakes and foul the rudders and wheels. To get them out of the wheels and rudder, stop and reverse,
this will dislodge them.
Another thing about lilly concentrations, they can hide LOGS.
Locks of Luck!!!!
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #33
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
8. I always remind myself, when in the presence of tows that, I am out there playing and they are earning a living. It
does not hurt to say this on the radio now and then!
While somewhat true even in my ming as a guy who pushes and pulls barges way bigger than my assigned towboat should...to totally endorse this philosophy lets them make it a free for all out there and sooner or later if they get too complacent someone will get hurt.

They have to remain professionals too .

Just two weeks ago one ran me off the ICW north of Charleston into 4 feet of water while I was backing down like mad....and he missed me by less than 10 feet (60-80 foot tug at the end of a 1000 foot dredge pipe). No radio calls, no RAM announcement or dayshapes, nothing....no comment on what his moves would be...nothing...totally unprofessional and dangerous...whether I'm a rec boat or another commercial guy (he had no idea who or what I was) and my livelihood is just as important as his.

If you are gonna act RAM then show it and/or announce it..to do less is criminal if something bad happens.

If you or your vessel can't handle the tow....don't do it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
.....The LOCKMASTER is Michael O'Dowd as I said his name and ph no is in the link that I gave at the start of this thread.

INDUSTRIAL CANAL LOCK is on the East bank of the river. It has smooth concrete walls but ,and this is a BIG
BUT, the lockkeeper will drop a line to you and you will tie up with HIS LINE. Make sure you get TWO from him one
for bow and stern. THIS WILL BE ON YOUR LEFT SIDE....
Thanks for the info.
He knew who and what we were from radio and telephone conversations.
And we stayed in the pleasure boat waiting area for over 4 hours.
He told us to follow his instructions which was basically to run the one rope he handed to us under the horn of my mid-ship cleat and adjust as the boat lowered. He specifically stated to not 'cleat-off'. I did just what he said and it obviously wasn't working and that's when he told the sailboat to tie onto my starboard side. I couldn't see what exactly what was happening because I was on the port side holding onto the rope. If he had give me 2 ropes, me and the admiral could handle that.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #35
Guru

Potentially Really bad news

Just put the rebuilt starter motor in and it is not the problem.
Engine is locked up and waiting for a mechanic to check it out.
When I left N.O. Ind. Lock I was running on both engines. After a bridge or two, traffic cleared and I shut down the port engine to run on just one as I usually do. When I went to restart it - nothing.
I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Sorry to hear this Tony. Keep us posted. Strange that it locked up when not in use.....
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Sorry to hear this Tony. Keep us posted. Strange that it locked up when not in use.....
Yeah. Bummer. Hope it is something really simple and easy to fix.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
That's pretty strange, Tony. If the engine wasn't complaining a lot when shut down, I doubt the engine is damaged. I'd believe a jammed bendix drive maybe. I've even seen one break off and wedge itself between the flywheel and bellhousing. Also found a bolt that did the same. Hope it turns out OK.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #39

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
"They" say water can be forced through from the water intake and find it's way into an open exhaust valve, without the engine running, while underway. I think your speed would need to be well above idle for this to happen.
Easy enough to check, pull the spark plugs @ see if it will spin. If water is present you'll know it right away.

I have had this happen to vehicles (not boats), no harm was done. After running a while to dry it out an oil change will be in order.

Hopefully your problem will be this simple.

Are you coming back to the Kemah area, or cruising off into the sunset?

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
"They" say water can be forced through from the water intake and find it's way into an open exhaust valve, without the engine running, while underway. I think your speed would need to be well above idle for this to happen.
Easy enough to check, pull the spark plugs @ see if it will spin. If water is present you'll know it right away.

I have had this happen to vehicles (not boats), no harm was done. After running a while to dry it out an oil change will be in order.

Hopefully your problem will be this simple.

Are you coming back to the Kemah area, or cruising off into the sunset?

Rafe
Salt or brackish water?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote