Stuck sorta off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is plenty of room between the channel and the big marina on the left as you enter. You will understand when you get there. The cameras are deceiving.

Yup...anchor right off the dinghy dock. Saw several 35'+ sailboats swinging there on our last visit. The town dock is convenient though if you can forgo power for a night... Easy walk to the coffee shop in the morning too!

20150721_184912-vi.jpg

Is there a particular reason for going to Oriental? We've only been by land and never saw cause to take the boat there. New Bern offers much, much better "town" action, by a factor of at least 10; why not just spend more time there if that's what you are after?

What is the best source for weather on the ICW?

We're docked at the free dock in Oriental. You can see us on the marina cam, we're the motor boat in front of the 2 sailboats.
Through the generosity of both those sailboaters who moved their boats back and helped us dock perpendicular to the small dock we were able to stay here. They are leaving this morning and so shall we.
Had a good time here in Oriental, went to the Nautical Wheelers store where I got another Tilly hat that I didn't know I needed and Debbie got a pair of boat shoes.
I got a small folding ladder for boarding at the hardware store and a nav light at the close by marine store.

We're headed to New Bern when the sailboaters want to leave. It's only 30sm so I'll give the twins below a break and cruise slow today.

We'll plan on staying at the Galley Stores and Marina upon previous recomendations. Wx is turning on Monday (it's been beautiful for the last couple of days) so we may stay there thru Tues.

When you get to NB, let us know if you need anything or recommendations. You'll find a REAL hardware store here, Mitchell's, a few blocks from the marina. You will pass our house on the way, about a half mile south of R28; single story up on a little bluff rolling lawn down to the beach, no dock. Beautiful day today, river is flat calm.

Glad you made it to my favorite shops! Hard to leave Nautical Wheelers without new shoes!

There are lots of shops in New Bern too. Don't miss Mitchell's Hardware! Breakfast at the Baker's Kitchen. Fish and Chips at Capt Ratty's. Burgers at Morgan's. Steamer buckets at MJ's. And so many more restaurants! You definitely won't go hungry!

Walk up river from the Galley store to see some of the beautiful old riverfront homes.

Enjoy your cruise up river! You should have a gorgeous day!

I'd rec Persimmon's right there at the Galley Store, well over Captain Ratty's, which we've stopped going to, for food and atmosphere. Best fried seafood is at Sting Ray Cafe, across the street from the very worth visiting North Carolina History center, and adjacent to Tryon Palace. Good little seafood market next to Sting Ray as well. Ditto though on Morgans, especially for lunch, good food and surprisingly good value. For a "special" upscale dining experience, Harvey Mansion right on Front Street or The Chelsea on Middle at Broad. 247 Craven near Mitchells and Morgans is excellent too.

Beaufort today?? Hope you enjoyed New Bern!

Yes, we enjoyed New Bern. We caught the tail end of the Farmers market on Saturday where I got some home made ground grits. I had a very pleasant lunch with George (caltexflanc) on Monday.
We left Tuesday for Beaufort N.C. stopping in Morehead City for fuel. I paid $2.03/gal at Gulf Docks.

We'll borrow the loaner car today and get some grocery shopping done and I might get to Best Buy in Morehead City and get an HDMI cable. I want to get DirecTV to the aft state room and bunged up the HDMI cable end when trying to route it.

We'll leave tomorrow at 08:00 to catch high tide at Browns Inlet and New River inlet on the ICW - notorious ICW trouble spots. Then by adjusting speed we'll be at the Surf City Bridge at 15:00 for their hourly opening. We plan on anchoring at the anchorage in Topsail Sound ICW mm 263.
Total mileage tomorrow is 65 miles but we'll get an early start. Don't want to wait another day as the tides are an hour later each day and that would get us to the Topsail anchorage very close to sunset.
Forecast seas in the Atlantic is for up to 4 ft - too rough.

On Friday we'll cruise the 20 miles to the Motts Channel Anchorage and visit Wrightsville Beach. I understand there's a public dinghy dock nearby.

Last edited:
If for any reason you decide to not anchor in Topsail, there is a marina in Hamstead just past the bridge a couple miles, Harbour Village Marina. We stayed there a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom