Single Handing Alaska to Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am currently in transit between La Push and West Port, the day is stunning and reminds me of what I expect to find in Mexico. After leaving Anacortes I moved to Neah Bay and anchored out for the night inside the breakwater. The other boats departing got me moving and I made a good run to La Push, only to find it was quite run down and seemed to have no harbormaster or any organization available.

I wound up anchoring in the channel outside the harbor, that being the only water deep enough to anchor without being concerned about going aground at low tide. Everything else was 5-6' deep and the tide was projected to be a minus 2.something. It made me nervous...

I have reservations for West Port Marina, should be in around 5:00 PM, and Windy shows a bit of "in my face" weather at around 15 knots for the next couple of days so I may just hang out until it passes.

All is smooth, the shorter 40-60 mile stretches are much more comfortable than the 16-20 hour marathon runs through Canada. When the good anchorages are far apart you run until you make one, when you are single handing "it's all you". Todays run is only 60 miles, the next one to Astoria is only 40. This could be habit forming :)

Doug pay no attention to the people who tell you your boat is not big enough. You don’t need a big boat, you need patience, a little bit of seamanship and common sense. Years ago a friend paddled his kayak from Victoria to Mexico.

We departed puget sound on a 30’ cat in 2004 and heard a few folks say the same thing. While they are sitting in their armchairs we sailed the west coast out to the Galapagos down to South America and then back to the Panama Canal. Didn’t really care for the Carib so we headed back to Mexico it’s awesome. We will keep track of your progress get to La Paz and the drinks and dinner is on us.
Cheers Rob & Linda

Just a reminder to keep an eye on the tides as most the stops you're going to be making on the way south will have a bar crossing in the mix. Once you make San Francisco that headache goes away.

Just a reminder to keep an eye on the tides as most the stops you're going to be making on the way south will have a bar crossing in the mix. Once you make San Francisco that headache goes away.

Crescent City CA is the only stop (to SF) that does not have a bar.

I am currently in transit between La Push and West Port, the day is stunning and reminds me of what I expect to find in Mexico. After leaving Anacortes I moved to Neah Bay and anchored out for the night inside the breakwater. The other boats departing got me moving and I made a good run to La Push, only to find it was quite run down and seemed to have no harbormaster or any organization available.

I wound up anchoring in the channel outside the harbor, that being the only water deep enough to anchor without being concerned about going aground at low tide. Everything else was 5-6' deep and the tide was projected to be a minus 2.something. It made me nervous...

I have reservations for West Port Marina, should be in around 5:00 PM, and Windy shows a bit of "in my face" weather at around 15 knots for the next couple of days so I may just hang out until it passes.

All is smooth, the shorter 40-60 mile stretches are much more comfortable than the 16-20 hour marathon runs through Canada. When the good anchorages are far apart you run until you make one, when you are single handing "it's all you". Todays run is only 60 miles, the next one to Astoria is only 40. This could be habit forming :)

Hey Doug, I am an hour by car from Astoria if you need anything. PM my phone number.

It’s people like you and Kevin that live the story of journeying upon the seas as our forebears did…rowing to Distant callings…that inspire others to seek their goals and pleasures.
Mahalo

So the weather shapes up to become favorable Sunday, here in West Port until then. Afterwards the weather shifts to a from the North system which is good for travel Southwards, as my boat loves a following sea. I am thinking Ilwaco instead of Astoria, as it's much closer and Astoria is about ten miles from the mouth of the river.

I greatly appreciate the PM's offering assistance, I keep them in mind but am well provisioned and have an extra just about anything you can name if not several of those. Rinsing the salt off the boat, planning my jumps...

So the weather shapes up to become favorable Sunday, here in West Port until then. Afterwards the weather shifts to a from the North system which is good for travel Southwards, as my boat loves a following sea. I am thinking Ilwaco instead of Astoria, as it's much closer and Astoria is about ten miles from the mouth of the river.

I greatly appreciate the PM's offering assistance, I keep them in mind but am well provisioned and have an extra just about anything you can name if not several of those. Rinsing the salt off the boat, planning my jumps...
Illwaco is good. Just stay in the channel. 20ft in the channel, 0 outside channel. Red right return.

Lots of fishing on buoy 10 which means a bunch of idiots. Let us know when you make it.

I actually prefer skipping the Columbia and going to Garibaldi. Much shorter in and out and a much simpler bar to cross.

So I skipped Astoria and Ilwaco, it would have been only a 40 mile day from LaPush, and instead ran to Garibaldi. As a port (marina) Garibaldi has little to recommend itself, virtually no transient tie up space, very shallow (3-4' under the keel) and all the slips are designated. I wound up tied (after hours) in a 30 minute loading zone for the night, and left early when the charter boats began loading their clients.

The one area that was transient had mud showing 6' from the dock and I had very low confidence I wold stay floating there. I arrived exactly wrong tide/current wise, and had to buck 4.5 knots of current up to the marina. Fortunately the seas were very mild and crossing the bar was not an issue at all.

This morning I am beating the projected weather and running into Newport to sit for a few days, perhaps running to Coos Bay Thursday with a small open weather window before it gets strong again. Washington in the rear view mirror, deep into Oregon, things are going well.

Thank you all who have offered help and company! It is much appreciated, and I enjoy being a part of this forum group very much.

Newport is a good place to hang. Coos Bay is an odd place. Winchester is the actual harbor and there is not much there. You can travel further in to Coos Bay but there really is no facilities. Bandon is a much better place to try for.

Be sure to buy some additional ballast at the Rogue Brewery in Newport. It's an easy walk from the marina.

As a bit of information, I have left lovely Santa Barbara harbor and am heading for Ensenada.

I have a easy to access reservation in Los Angeles at California Yacht Marina - Cabrillo.

I chose this over some of the recommended area marinas simply because it's fast and easy to access. I will arrive before sunset, get some sleep and be back traveling right at daybreak.

Then it's one night at the San Diego harbor police guest dock and I am entering Mexico on Wednesday.

I have a slip (C-27) at Hotel Coral rented through mid November.

Last edited:
Good advice on Bandon over Coos Bay, I am going to lean hard that direction even though it means departing Newport at 5:00 in the dark to make the tide at Bandon. Kevin thought very highly of his stay in Bandon and marked it on his list of must see ports.

I stumbled into Newport, no reservation since the phone lines were unresponsive, and tied where Kevin said he did coming in. Once I walked up to the office the gal behind the plexiglass told me I was exactly in the right place and billed me $30 a day for the three days I expect to be here. Great facilities, I will do laundry and visit the brewery tomorrow.

It's been great having Kevin leading on the trip down, and while I don't always stay in the same ports, given the number of available ports I often do. Thanks Kevin :)

Good advice on Bandon over Coos Bay, I am going to lean hard that direction even though it means departing Newport at 5:00 in the dark to make the tide at Bandon. Kevin thought very highly of his stay in Bandon and marked it on his list of must see ports.

I stumbled into Newport, no reservation since the phone lines were unresponsive, and tied where Kevin said he did coming in. Once I walked up to the office the gal behind the plexiglass told me I was exactly in the right place and billed me $30 a day for the three days I expect to be here. Great facilities, I will do laundry and visit the brewery tomorrow.

It's been great having Kevin leading on the trip down, and while I don't always stay in the same ports, given the number of available ports I often do. Thanks Kevin :)

I cant wait to meet up in Ensenada for a congratulatory margarita!

I cant wait to meet up in Ensenada for a congratulatory margarita!

Can’t wait for the pics and video.

Any bar crossings or interesting open water videos of the trip so far?

The worst I have seen of the bars is pretty much matched by tidal currents back home, swell running against the current. It might make you spill your coffee but not dangerous, the rolling I take from all of the charter boats blasting by me is worse than what the bar is generating.

Kevin and I were chatting yesterday, our consensus was that when it's bad, it's very bad and no one has any business being there. We have both hit the tides wrong on several bars and had no problems with the crossings. It might run 4-6' (usually less, always against you it seems) but at 7 knots it's no big deal, but then again that's in a 3-5' ocean swell running in.

Kevin sent me the link for the status of the bars Local Bar Observations by weather.gov, it's been spot on!

Doug, take the tour at the Rouge Brewery. We really enjoyed it, learned a lot about both the beer side and the Alcohol side of brewing. And spent a fair amount on ballast. And the make there own casks, that was very interesting.
Cheers, Buddy and safe travels.

Doug, take the tour at the Rouge Brewery. We really enjoyed it, learned a lot about both the beer side and the Alcohol side of brewing. And spent a fair amount on ballast. And the make there own casks, that was very interesting.
Cheers, Buddy and safe travels.

They closed the tours with Covid :blush:

But you can still visit the resturant :)

If you make Bandon, forget about all of this beer ballast talk and take care of the important stuff. Facerock Cheese Company is in Bandon. A friend of mine.
That will be ballast worth carrying. I suggest the cloth bound cheddar.

Rogue is closed Monday and Tuesday, planning a trip down to eat and drink tonight, reservation for Bandon made for tomorrow. Assured there is lots of room for 30' boats!

Maintenance is done, fresh fuel filter installed. I was getting some resistance on the gauge, approaching 500 hours on that filter, which I think is the projected interval for changing it out. The 1 gph max flow I experience takes some time to restrict a filter, and I run 2 micron filters, which is probably overkill but so what... The secondary filter is also a 2 micron, and gets changed every other primary change.

Ready for departure in the morning, dark and early!

Congratulations to Kevin for making it to Ensenada!!!

Crossed from Bodega Bay to Half Moon Bay yesterday, in the face of a small craft advisory for the afternoon. It was a very nice crossing, with the wind just picking up as I entered Half Moon Bay. It looks like I will be here until Monday as the coastal winds are projected to be quite strong.

The Trip down from Eureka was a long 90 miles day, departing in the dark and crossing the bar on a 2 knot outflow and unable to see the swell direction or waves. I did take two waves that emptied the counter tops, but once clear of the bar it was smooth sailing to Fort Bragg where I snuck in after dark. Departing the next morning just after daylight I motored through perfect seas down to Bodega Bay, again arriving just after dark.

These ports have long and narrow channels, with not very much water under the keel. The markers are mostly not lighted, and the harbors have few to no lights to help you find your slip. It's much different than I am used to back in Alaska, where the harbors are deep, the channels very short, and the docks are well lighted.

It was a relief to come into Half Moon Bay in daylight hours, as entering after dark is challenging and for the most part done using an iPad to stay centered in the channel. The rumor has it there are bluefin tuna outside Half Moon, but the weather is going to be too strong to venture out for the next few days.

All is well, the boat is operating perfectly, and the scenery is spectacular. Monterrey is the next port of call, and while I hate being tied to the dock and unable to travel, it's nice to stretch my legs and eat food someone else cooked :)

Sounds like you're making good progress. A weather day now and then is good to force you to relax / recuperate, maybe do some cleaning, and get off the boat for some exercise and dinner out.

Ted

30 micron filter Racor is fine.

Crossed from Bodega Bay to Half Moon Bay yesterday, in the face of a small craft advisory for the afternoon. It was a very nice crossing, with the wind just picking up as I entered Half Moon Bay. It looks like I will be here until Monday as the coastal winds are projected to be quite strong.

The Trip down from Eureka was a long 90 miles day, departing in the dark and crossing the bar on a 2 knot outflow and unable to see the swell direction or waves. I did take two waves that emptied the counter tops, but once clear of the bar it was smooth sailing to Fort Bragg where I snuck in after dark. Departing the next morning just after daylight I motored through perfect seas down to Bodega Bay, again arriving just after dark.

These ports have long and narrow channels, with not very much water under the keel. The markers are mostly not lighted, and the harbors have few to no lights to help you find your slip. It's much different than I am used to back in Alaska, where the harbors are deep, the channels very short, and the docks are well lighted.

It was a relief to come into Half Moon Bay in daylight hours, as entering after dark is challenging and for the most part done using an iPad to stay centered in the channel. The rumor has it there are bluefin tuna outside Half Moon, but the weather is going to be too strong to venture out for the next few days.

All is well, the boat is operating perfectly, and the scenery is spectacular. Monterrey is the next port of call, and while I hate being tied to the dock and unable to travel, it's nice to stretch my legs and eat food someone else cooked :)

Soon you will be in Ensenada having completed a fantastic adventure Doug!

I have a new Margarita recipe we are going to have to try. :)

Spent the night anchored in San Simeon Bay, conditions were good but of course the boat went broadside to what swell there was and made the night a little restless. Today heading to Santa Barbara, long day and expecting to arrive well after dark. The seas are glassy and the swell seems to come from no particular direction but it's there.

The debate is whether it's cheaper to take on fuel in California or wait for Mexico, I am only down about 60 gallons so I can go either way. There is just something comforting about full fuel tanks :)

No flying fish yet, I will know I have arrived in warmer weather when I start to see them. I am seeing bluefin tuna, which makes me want to drop a line off the stern, so I am rigging tackle today to do just that. My plan is to go offshore to the Channel Islands leaving Santa Barbara and avoid the LA basin.

I am now just four cruising days from Mexican waters, but plan to linger a bit longer and take on some provisions I might have a harder time finding in Mexico. I like my name brand products and want to be sure I have them crossing over.

All is well with the world I am cruising in!

There is a pile of fish on the line between the East end of Catalina and San Diego in a warm streak of water between San Clemente and Oceanside. Easy to limit out on Dorado trolling feathers. If you decide on fueling up in San Diego I suggest Pearson's on Shelter Island for the best price. Fuel in Avalon is actually not too bad for Catalina at about $7 if you must, but Pearson's is probably closer to $5.50 before tax for 200+.

Safe travels!

We are making a parts run and dropping some stuff at Minneys in Newport Beach. Camped at Crystal Cove State Park near Laguna Beach. Pacific looks very tranquil this evening. Outer bands of Tropical Storm Kay should show on Saturday.

Enjoy Doug. Fair winds.

Peter

PS. Pic from 6:50pm local this evening. Just a few moments before this post 20220907_184646.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom