cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:46 AM   #102
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
Exactly.

Are Marinas not insured?
Owners of multi-tenant industrial find that by requiring their tenants to maintain primary liability coverage, their property coverage risk profile is lower and is priced accordingly.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:37 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
This morning I am making way from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara.

If I can get a transient slip there I will stay a couple of weeks especially since this is my childhood stomping grounds.

I remember as a child in the 60's thinking that someday I would park my fishing boat in the harbor, and hopefully today is the day!

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #104

City: Alaska/Mexico
Vessel Name: Azul/Trinity
Vessel Model: Skye 51/Fairbanks 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
This morning I am making way from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara.

If I can get a transient slip there I will stay a couple of weeks especially since this is my childhood stomping grounds.

I remember as a child in the 60's thinking that someday I would park my fishing boat in the harbor, and hopefully today is the day!

Awesome!!!
Akken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #105
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
rs,
Why wouldn’t their industrial “home” insurance cover that?

If you parked your motor home alongside my house an RV/home fire erupted … my home insurance would cover it .. I would think.
If there were two insurance policies the insurance business is double dipping.
If a transient (or any) boat causes damage to the marina, say a fire, then yes the Marina's insurance will cover the damage to the marina property and the marina's business interruption loss, BUT the marina's insurer with then attempt to subrogate (recover their loss) against the boatowner. If marina can prove Boatowner is responsible for the fire, boatowner will be faced with a liability claim from the marina's insurer and a possible lawsuit from that insurer if not paid.

If the boatowner has liability insurance this can be quite straightforward. Boatowner notifies his insurer of the Third Party liability claim against him, and forwards the subrogation claim to his boat insurer for settlement.

If Boatowner has no insurance, the marina's insurer will attempt to recover from and potentially sue the boat owner to recover its loss. These additional expenses and potentially the inability to receive indemnification from the boatowner will go against the Marina's Loss Record and will impact the Marina's Renewal Insurance premium at the next renewal.

For this reason alone Marinas require their tenants to have insurance. I would expect that the typical Marina Application for Insurance would specifically require the Marina to state whether they require evidence of tenant insurance and the answer to that question would definitely impact premium and potentially decision to insure.

In my experience most Marinas will not require insurance for a transient, although for the reasons outlined above they should!

The same would apply in your RV example. Your homeowners insurance would respond to your loss, then subrogate against the responsible party (RV owner and his insurance).

When you accept an insurance claim payment for physical damage to your property you will have to sign a release of subrogation rights to the insurer.
This is what allows the insurer to proceed against the responsible party or their insurer. This release is often printed on the back of the claim check or on the claim filing itself (sometimes called the 'proof of loss').

Note the result is different if no liability can be established. For example if the boat was struck by lightning instead of catching fire because boatowner overloaded the electrical panel. In the lightning example there would be no subrogation. Each insurer (Marina/Boat) would pay their respective insured.

MY Traveler put this far more succinctly!
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #106
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Looks like you made it, and are checking in. Good job.

I will be in the channel tomorrow. How was it?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:20 PM   #107
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
https://youtu.be/_QWZQh0YYWA
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:51 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

I am happy to report that I am safely moored at Santa Barbara Harbor.

Having a celebratory beer!
Attached Thumbnails
0F1227D7-0DAA-4B4A-8CD1-8842E5D678A9.jpg  
Old 08-03-2022, 01:05 AM   #109
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I won't believe you until I see a picture of Stearns wharf.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Here you go.

From the back of my boat.

I fished on Stern's Warf in the 1960's as a boy.

I'll take better photos today when i have lunch on the warf.
Attached Thumbnails
9EB06ED6-1D8B-4C67-9421-A7332EC85F7E.jpg  
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #111
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I bet SB was a great place to grow up in the 60's. I lived there from 1974 to 1987. Sailed my catamaran off Leadbetter beach.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #112
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am happily moored in Sante Cap Marina in Anacortes, I must say that transiting Canada was a brutal experience primarily because of the waiting on weather and the remoteness of everything.. I initially tried to do a quick and dirty three day run down the outside of the coast, but the constant gale warnings put an end to that in short order.

You don't realize how big the outer coast of Canada is until you experience it! I am greatly looking forward to having a few meals cooked for me, places I can shop for things I want, and simply being back in the US. The Canadians I passed along the way have no Internet, cell signal, or contact with the outside world. What a different life they must be living from what we think of as normal.

I am here for a few days, fixing broken toilet diverter valve and eating meals cooked by someone other than myself. By Monday or Tuesday I will be headed for Noah Bay and then down the Washington Coast.

Boat is operating flawlessly, haven't totaled the fuel consumption for my trip through Canada but guessing around 80 gallons. I keep a running dialog with Kevin and some friends back home over the In Reach, it's a source of sanity and reliable weather forecasts when there is nothing else. A huge thank you to my friends who have been supporting me with weather and prayer along the way :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I am happily moored in Sante Cap Marina in Anacortes, I must say that transiting Canada was a brutal experience primarily because of the waiting on weather and the remoteness of everything.. I initially tried to do a quick and dirty three day run down the outside of the coast, but the constant gale warnings put an end to that in short order.

You don't realize how big the outer coast of Canada is until you experience it! I am greatly looking forward to having a few meals cooked for me, places I can shop for things I want, and simply being back in the US. The Canadians I passed along the way have no Internet, cell signal, or contact with the outside world. What a different life they must be living from what we think of as normal.

I am here for a few days, fixing broken toilet diverter valve and eating meals cooked by someone other than myself. By Monday or Tuesday I will be headed for Noah Bay and then down the Washington Coast.

Boat is operating flawlessly, haven't totaled the fuel consumption for my trip through Canada but guessing around 80 gallons. I keep a running dialog with Kevin and some friends back home over the In Reach, it's a source of sanity and reliable weather forecasts when there is nothing else. A huge thank you to my friends who have been supporting me with weather and prayer along the way :-)

Doug, I'll have the Margaritas waiting for you in Ensenada my friend!

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 08-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #114

City: Alaska/Mexico
Vessel Name: Azul/Trinity
Vessel Model: Skye 51/Fairbanks 32
Good to hear from you and that you are safe. Just drove down from Anchorage last month myself. Sometimes you forget how far north and especially west we are up there.

One recommendation for you, "StarLink". It's on my shortlist for upgrades.
There is a Facebook Group dedicated to it with all the information (and maybe a little more) that you would ever need. I have several friends that have already installed it on their boats, nothing but praise all around.

Safe travels and calm seas.

Ken S/V Azul
Akken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I must say that transiting Canada was a brutal experience primarily because of the waiting on weather and the remoteness of everything. I initially tried to do a quick and dirty three day run down the outside of the coast, but the constant gale warnings put an end to that in short order.

You don't realize how big the outer coast of Canada is until you experience it! The Canadians I passed along the way have no Internet, cell signal, or contact with the outside world. What a different life they must be living from what we think of as normal.
Sorry for your misfortune and discomfort, but thank you for the laugh, I’ll be grinning all day.

So many comments could be made, but I’ll just say I’m surprised that with the time spent on here, you weren’t aware of the brutality of our coast, or our remote lifestyles and depravity.

I hope the hundreds of US boats in our waters right now are ok, as they struggle to survive.

I also hope “being back in the US” and the trip down your coast is more pleasing and compatible.

Sent to the outside world via internet on a cell phone.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #116
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Sorry for your misfortune and discomfort, but thank you for the laugh, I’ll be grinning all day.

So many comments could be made, but I’ll just say I’m surprised that with the time spent on here, you weren’t aware of the brutality of our coast, or our remote lifestyles and depravity.

I hope the hundreds of US boats in our waters right now are ok, as they struggle to survive.

I also hope “being back in the US” and the trip down your coast is more pleasing and compatible.

Very funny; post of the year for me. That’s the PNW for you! �� (teasing Soin2la on the PNW reference!)
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #117

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
Doug in anacortes, following his first long leg
Attached Images

bshanafelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #118
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post

Honstly it’s much the same as I am used to, except the vastness of the spaces in between is so much more. Having the goal of traveling vs simply being there to enjoy the wilderness experience makes a huge difference in your outlook on it. The commercial fishing industry where I normally operate and the local villages give cell phone coverage most places within a short distance of wherever you are. There was none of that on my route!

It will be nice to make shorter runs day by day, and to not be reliant on my satellite communicator for weather forecasts from willing friends. Windy only works where there is a cell signal so it isn’t much help passing through Canada.

Moving on to Neah Bay Tuesday, just finished laundry and the harbor is going to move my slip location today, fueling in between (if the fuel dock is open). Re provision tomorrow and back on the road again, dinner at Anthony’s was excellent, Alaskan Weathervane Scallops!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #119
Guru

Even with the “vastness of the spaces in between,” our coastal people are just as communicative, neighbourly and connected as they have been for many decades. Nine times out of ten, when a boat is in trouble, those remote villages, with no internet or cell phones, are on scene long before the high tech crowd has snapped the buckle on their mustangs.

Many of those places wish it was as quiet as it was just 15 years ago. Normal is atypical.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #120
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akken View Post
One recommendation for you, "StarLink". It's on my shortlist for upgrades.
There is a Facebook Group dedicated to it with all the information (and maybe a little more) that you would ever need. I have several friends that have already installed it on their boats, nothing but praise all around. .
Ken S/V Azul

I'll second that! We love ours!