Old 07-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #61
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Al, it's funny you couldn't find me, or the other Willard PH30 in the harbor. I am at the end of float #7, the Double Trouble is on float #5 at the end. The new owner of Double Trouble stopped by this morning for a chat, he just purchased DT from the previous owner in Thorne Bay and is prepping for transit back to Washington.

I actually bid on DT back when I bought my boat, but the owner wanted more than the boat would appraise for. Hence I bought this boat in Virginia and had it trucked across the US to Anacortes. Sometimes it's small world :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #62
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Doug, I don't quite know what transpired, as I walked all the fingers in South Bar Harbor from the Harbor master Condo ramp to the Madison Hardware ramp I know your boat(s) and was disappointed assuming you had departed. Sorry, I truly wished to meet you and congratulate you on your adventure.
I am now assuming you in deed have left, but if you are still here, my number is 907 617-0710 and I would dash down even thought is is 7PM.
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #63
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Doug, Now I see how I missed you. You were moored in a boat size larger than what you are, I was looking in the Float 5/6 yet I did not see the Double Trouble either.

So I had started looking FROM 7 towards the South end of the harbor. my bad,A
I might add, I trust if you left you beat the Westerly that came up this evening. Not a friendly water in the

open crossing Portland Canal.

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
This morning I am rounding Cape Mendocino heading for Fort Bragg California.

Another easy day of cruising. No drama, no big waves.

Attached Thumbnails
D10B837A-E5D0-4ED3-A5A3-D4724DEFEEA3.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #65
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
This morning I am rounding Cape Mendocino heading for Fort Bragg California.

Another easy day of cruising. No drama, no big waves.

Very nice!

What speed are you cruising? Has the lack of stabilizers on your boat made any of the offshore cruising uncomfortable?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Very nice!

What speed are you cruising? Has the lack of stabilizers on your boat made any of the offshore cruising uncomfortable?
I'm varying my speed within the range of hull speed. Anywhere between 7.5 and 9 knots depending on how far I need to go that day etc...

All un stabilized boats roll a bit in a beam sea. That said, if I am uncomfortable I can add throttle and reduce the roll dramatically. That costs diesel fuel though.
Another tactic is to simply tack a bit.

Would I rather have stabilizers, yes of course, but I am very comfortable without them.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #67
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
I'm varying my speed within the range of hull speed. Anywhere between 7.5 and 9 knots depending on how far I need to go that day etc...

All un stabilized boats roll a bit in a beam sea. That said, if I am uncomfortable I can add throttle and reduce the roll dramatically. That costs diesel fuel though.
Another tactic is to simply tack a bit.

Would I rather have stabilizers, yes of course, but I am very comfortable without them.
If you've got trim tabs, try dropping them just a little bit. I've found when running slow on my boat, putting in a little bit of tab (significantly less than I'd run with on plane) reduces roll a little, but more importantly, it slows the roll a bit and takes most of the snap out of the return. Doing this also provides a bit of pitch damping, but doesn't noticeably change the running angle and has no noticeable effect on speed too.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you've got trim tabs, try dropping them just a little bit. I've found when running slow on my boat, putting in a little bit of tab (significantly less than I'd run with on plane) reduces roll a little, but more importantly, it slows the roll a bit and takes most of the snap out of the return. Doing this also provides a bit of pitch damping, but doesn't noticeably change the running angle and has no noticeable effect on speed too.
I'll try it, Thanks!
Old 07-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #69
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I only run stabilizers about half the time even in my round bottom boat. Granted, she's low and pretty stable anyway.

For those who fear the pacific coast, there are definitely comfortable weather windows. Below is a screen shot from Windy right now off Cape Mendocino. Shows 5-foot seas at 9-seconds from the NW. Kevin's video gives some idea of what long 2-meter seas look like. While not overly common, I've been in 4-meter seas that were close to 15-seconds apart. Felt like an old Buick Roadmaster on a country road.

Thanks for sharing Kevin. No need to wish you fair seas -

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220727-142729_Windy.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	130653
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:19 PM   #70
Guru

4 meter swell at 16 seconds would make for some great surfing. Our Gulf Coast swell is hardly ever long-period like that.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
4 meter swell at 16 seconds would make for some great surfing. Our Gulf Coast swell is hardly ever long-period like that.
It's not exactly rare, but not common either. If there's a big low pressure storm up in Alaska, will send swells 100s of miles outward. Late fall is about the only time I can imagine where storms are big enough in Alaska (12+ meter seas), but off the central coast are otherwise calm. I don't think those conditions juxtapose in the GoM. I would think the North Sea could spin up some big seas that could radiate well south, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn UK region out to the Adores can see some big, benign swells. But that's only a guess.

I'm super glad to see Kevin (Bayliner 4788) and Doug (Willard 30) sharing their treks on boats that are not a name brand (or size in Doug's case) for coastal passagemaking. The Pacific Coast is notorious and strikes fear in recreational boaters. There was a recent thread on CruisersForum where a guy asked about moving a 50-foot sailboat from Ventura CA to SE Alaska. The chorus of "suicide" was deafening (granted headed north into weather is a different trip). Any run where ports can be 100 nms apart requires planning and preparation. But it doesn't require a Nordhavn or similar.

When these two boats reach Ensenada, they will have covered something close to 2000 nms of mostly open ocean, up to about 60 nms offshore. Very achievable for any trawler or motoryacht class boat. I hope these stories motivate people people to not waste time finding the brick-s#*&house tank and just go with the boat they have.

Peter
Old 07-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #72
Guru

Single Handing Alaska to Mexico

I’ve had a good time reading this thread. I’m not familiar at all with west coast cruising so it’s been very enlightening.

I’ve also been following Sea Venture’s YouTube vlog and they recently (I think?) did this same cruise. Their 52’ Cheoy Lee is a much bigger boat however, and also has paravanes.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
It's not exactly rare, but not common either. If there's a big low pressure storm up in Alaska, will send swells 100s of miles outward. Late fall is about the only time I can imagine where storms are big enough in Alaska (12+ meter seas), but off the central coast are otherwise calm. I don't think those conditions juxtapose in the GoM. I would think the North Sea could spin up some big seas that could radiate well south, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn UK region out to the Adores can see some big, benign swells. But that's only a guess.

I'm super glad to see Kevin (Bayliner 4788) and Doug (Willard 30) sharing their treks on boats that are not a name brand (or size in Doug's case) for coastal passagemaking. The Pacific Coast is notorious and strikes fear in recreational boaters. There was a recent thread on CruisersForum where a guy asked about moving a 50-foot sailboat from Ventura CA to SE Alaska. The chorus of "suicide" was deafening (granted headed north into weather is a different trip). Any run where ports can be 100 nms apart requires planning and preparation. But it doesn't require a Nordhavn or similar.

When these two boats reach Ensenada, they will have covered something close to 2000 nms of mostly open ocean, up to about 60 nms offshore. Very achievable for any trawler or motoryacht class boat. I hope these stories motivate people people to not waste time finding the brick-s#*&house tank and just go with the boat they have.

Peter
Since May 1st I have traveled 2136 NM from my home port in Alaska. This has all been alone, and for the most part drama free. I have been caught in only one really rough water event, and that was in Clarance strait where Doug sat out windy weather for three days.

I'm about to pull into Ft Bragg California. Theoretically I could get after it and beat the winds that are forecast to build tomorrow afternoon. Or I can stay here until Saturday and continue my easy fun adventure. I'll look at the forecast later but I'm inclined to relax for a day or three.
Attached Thumbnails
7ED10286-D722-47B3-B9E6-51BD58E6755C.jpg  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #74
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
On my many ship-voyages between San Francisco and Alaska between Spring and Fall, the roughest conditions were along the California to Washington coasts. Inland Alaskan waters were very mild.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:34 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:

I'm about to pull into Ft Bragg California. Theoretically I could get after it and beat the winds that are forecast to build tomorrow afternoon. Or I can stay here until Saturday and continue my easy fun adventure. I'll look at the forecast later but I'm inclined to relax for a day or three.
My life changed in Fort Bragg. It was summer 2004 and I arrived on a straight shot from Dana Point. I had a voice-mail from a recruiter to return to corporate America after a 4 year hiatus. I remember calling from a payphone at the top of one of the docks. It was a hard decision, but obviously I left my delivery career behind.

Not much near the docks, but I liked Fort Bragg. Nice approach once you're under the bridge. Lining up the range lights can be a bit interesting with any swell running, but a nice place. Hard to believe it's only 125 miles from SF.

Peter
Attachment 130670
Old 07-27-2022, 08:24 PM   #76

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
I've sat on the terrace at the bar restaurant on the bend under the bridge at Ft Bragg a couple of times watching the boats coming in and out.
Excellent place to spend a few hours.
I'd love to do that coast in my own boat one day.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:14 PM   #77
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
This is exactly what I do. Takes the bite out of beam seas.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:37 AM   #78
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Ah yes, what fond memories of entering Ft. Bragg, on our trip down the coast a few years back.
Just a few miles north of the entrance is were the steering ram blew a seal and drained all the hydraulic fluid and we lost all steering. But after locating the emergency tiller and setting up the iPad in the stern cockpit we made it to just before the bridge. If not for the bow and stern thrusters it would have been a hairy ride to the dock. If I was single handed I probably would have asked for help from the coast guard.
Not much in the way of services in Ft. Bragg but we did find a small machine shop and he was able to help us rebuild the ram. The Marina staff were a big help in sorting things out, along with Amazon delivering parts and supplies to get us repaired.

Cheers, Kevin
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

I am in Fort Bragg for a couple of days as the weather is turning snotty.

To walk from the marina to town is an all day adventure. But if i launch my skiff it's only a couple hundred feet.
Attached Thumbnails
856D8B73-3457-4FEE-81AD-F8CFFD6AC123.jpg  
Old 07-30-2022, 09:05 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

This morning I am making way from Bodega Bay to Monterey. The seas are benign, but a bit beamy during the first part to Point Reys as they are coming out of the northwest.
After that I turn to the southeast and the waves will be behind me for the rest of the day.
Today I am traveling at 9 knots which is sufficient to get me to Monterey before nightfall.

For folks planning this route Bodega Bay is not on my list of places to return to. Not cruiser friendly. The harbor staff was nice enough but the harbor is full with no transient space available simply because there is a large fishing fleet and limited room. Boats are rafted several deep right now.

A better option would be to avoid the harbor and anchor in the bay outside the jetty if the conditions are acceptible.
Attached Thumbnails
40EE9C6C-E81C-439B-B4DB-7A0DB6E54709.jpg   9445A0D0-BD84-4AC6-BA79-E02CD82B51A5.jpg   C300C03D-73F9-4EC2-95C1-7ED7082F13E9.jpg   B5648AC3-7BC9-4DF6-8D0A-C6D46DF628EB.jpg