Single Handing Alaska to Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Al, it's funny you couldn't find me, or the other Willard PH30 in the harbor. I am at the end of float #7, the Double Trouble is on float #5 at the end. The new owner of Double Trouble stopped by this morning for a chat, he just purchased DT from the previous owner in Thorne Bay and is prepping for transit back to Washington.

I actually bid on DT back when I bought my boat, but the owner wanted more than the boat would appraise for. Hence I bought this boat in Virginia and had it trucked across the US to Anacortes. Sometimes it's small world :)

Doug, I don't quite know what transpired, as I walked all the fingers in South Bar Harbor from the Harbor master Condo ramp to the Madison Hardware ramp I know your boat(s) and was disappointed assuming you had departed. Sorry, I truly wished to meet you and congratulate you on your adventure.
I am now assuming you in deed have left, but if you are still here, my number is 907 617-0710 and I would dash down even thought is is 7PM.
Al

Doug, Now I see how I missed you. You were moored in a boat size larger than what you are, I was looking in the Float 5/6 yet I did not see the Double Trouble either.

So I had started looking FROM 7 towards the South end of the harbor. my bad,A
I might add, I trust if you left you beat the Westerly that came up this evening. Not a friendly water in the

open crossing Portland Canal.

Al

Last edited:
This morning I am rounding Cape Mendocino heading for Fort Bragg California.

Another easy day of cruising. No drama, no big waves.

Attachments

• D10B837A-E5D0-4ED3-A5A3-D4724DEFEEA3.jpg
    D10B837A-E5D0-4ED3-A5A3-D4724DEFEEA3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 43
This morning I am rounding Cape Mendocino heading for Fort Bragg California.

Another easy day of cruising. No drama, no big waves.

Very nice!

What speed are you cruising? Has the lack of stabilizers on your boat made any of the offshore cruising uncomfortable?

Very nice!

What speed are you cruising? Has the lack of stabilizers on your boat made any of the offshore cruising uncomfortable?

I'm varying my speed within the range of hull speed. Anywhere between 7.5 and 9 knots depending on how far I need to go that day etc...

All un stabilized boats roll a bit in a beam sea. That said, if I am uncomfortable I can add throttle and reduce the roll dramatically. That costs diesel fuel though.
Another tactic is to simply tack a bit.

Would I rather have stabilizers, yes of course, but I am very comfortable without them.

I'm varying my speed within the range of hull speed. Anywhere between 7.5 and 9 knots depending on how far I need to go that day etc...

All un stabilized boats roll a bit in a beam sea. That said, if I am uncomfortable I can add throttle and reduce the roll dramatically. That costs diesel fuel though.
Another tactic is to simply tack a bit.

Would I rather have stabilizers, yes of course, but I am very comfortable without them.

If you've got trim tabs, try dropping them just a little bit. I've found when running slow on my boat, putting in a little bit of tab (significantly less than I'd run with on plane) reduces roll a little, but more importantly, it slows the roll a bit and takes most of the snap out of the return. Doing this also provides a bit of pitch damping, but doesn't noticeably change the running angle and has no noticeable effect on speed too.

If you've got trim tabs, try dropping them just a little bit. I've found when running slow on my boat, putting in a little bit of tab (significantly less than I'd run with on plane) reduces roll a little, but more importantly, it slows the roll a bit and takes most of the snap out of the return. Doing this also provides a bit of pitch damping, but doesn't noticeably change the running angle and has no noticeable effect on speed too.

I'll try it, Thanks!

I only run stabilizers about half the time even in my round bottom boat. Granted, she's low and pretty stable anyway.

For those who fear the pacific coast, there are definitely comfortable weather windows. Below is a screen shot from Windy right now off Cape Mendocino. Shows 5-foot seas at 9-seconds from the NW. Kevin's video gives some idea of what long 2-meter seas look like. While not overly common, I've been in 4-meter seas that were close to 15-seconds apart. Felt like an old Buick Roadmaster on a country road.

Thanks for sharing Kevin. No need to wish you fair seas -

Peter Screenshot_20220727-142729_Windy.jpg

4 meter swell at 16 seconds would make for some great surfing. Our Gulf Coast swell is hardly ever long-period like that.

4 meter swell at 16 seconds would make for some great surfing. Our Gulf Coast swell is hardly ever long-period like that.
It's not exactly rare, but not common either. If there's a big low pressure storm up in Alaska, will send swells 100s of miles outward. Late fall is about the only time I can imagine where storms are big enough in Alaska (12+ meter seas), but off the central coast are otherwise calm. I don't think those conditions juxtapose in the GoM. I would think the North Sea could spin up some big seas that could radiate well south, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn UK region out to the Adores can see some big, benign swells. But that's only a guess.

I'm super glad to see Kevin (Bayliner 4788) and Doug (Willard 30) sharing their treks on boats that are not a name brand (or size in Doug's case) for coastal passagemaking. The Pacific Coast is notorious and strikes fear in recreational boaters. There was a recent thread on CruisersForum where a guy asked about moving a 50-foot sailboat from Ventura CA to SE Alaska. The chorus of "suicide" was deafening (granted headed north into weather is a different trip). Any run where ports can be 100 nms apart requires planning and preparation. But it doesn't require a Nordhavn or similar.

When these two boats reach Ensenada, they will have covered something close to 2000 nms of mostly open ocean, up to about 60 nms offshore. Very achievable for any trawler or motoryacht class boat. I hope these stories motivate people people to not waste time finding the brick-s#*&house tank and just go with the boat they have.

Peter

Last edited:
I’ve had a good time reading this thread. I’m not familiar at all with west coast cruising so it’s been very enlightening.

I’ve also been following Sea Venture’s YouTube vlog and they recently (I think?) did this same cruise. Their 52’ Cheoy Lee is a much bigger boat however, and also has paravanes.

It's not exactly rare, but not common either. If there's a big low pressure storm up in Alaska, will send swells 100s of miles outward. Late fall is about the only time I can imagine where storms are big enough in Alaska (12+ meter seas), but off the central coast are otherwise calm. I don't think those conditions juxtapose in the GoM. I would think the North Sea could spin up some big seas that could radiate well south, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn UK region out to the Adores can see some big, benign swells. But that's only a guess.

I'm super glad to see Kevin (Bayliner 4788) and Doug (Willard 30) sharing their treks on boats that are not a name brand (or size in Doug's case) for coastal passagemaking. The Pacific Coast is notorious and strikes fear in recreational boaters. There was a recent thread on CruisersForum where a guy asked about moving a 50-foot sailboat from Ventura CA to SE Alaska. The chorus of "suicide" was deafening (granted headed north into weather is a different trip). Any run where ports can be 100 nms apart requires planning and preparation. But it doesn't require a Nordhavn or similar.

When these two boats reach Ensenada, they will have covered something close to 2000 nms of mostly open ocean, up to about 60 nms offshore. Very achievable for any trawler or motoryacht class boat. I hope these stories motivate people people to not waste time finding the brick-s#*&house tank and just go with the boat they have.

Peter

Since May 1st I have traveled 2136 NM from my home port in Alaska. This has all been alone, and for the most part drama free. I have been caught in only one really rough water event, and that was in Clarance strait where Doug sat out windy weather for three days.

I'm about to pull into Ft Bragg California. Theoretically I could get after it and beat the winds that are forecast to build tomorrow afternoon. Or I can stay here until Saturday and continue my easy fun adventure. I'll look at the forecast later but I'm inclined to relax for a day or three.

Attachments

• 7ED10286-D722-47B3-B9E6-51BD58E6755C.jpg
    7ED10286-D722-47B3-B9E6-51BD58E6755C.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
On my many ship-voyages between San Francisco and Alaska between Spring and Fall, the roughest conditions were along the California to Washington coasts. Inland Alaskan waters were very mild.

I'm about to pull into Ft Bragg California. Theoretically I could get after it and beat the winds that are forecast to build tomorrow afternoon. Or I can stay here until Saturday and continue my easy fun adventure. I'll look at the forecast later but I'm inclined to relax for a day or three.

My life changed in Fort Bragg. It was summer 2004 and I arrived on a straight shot from Dana Point. I had a voice-mail from a recruiter to return to corporate America after a 4 year hiatus. I remember calling from a payphone at the top of one of the docks. It was a hard decision, but obviously I left my delivery career behind.

Not much near the docks, but I liked Fort Bragg. Nice approach once you're under the bridge. Lining up the range lights can be a bit interesting with any swell running, but a nice place. Hard to believe it's only 125 miles from SF.

Peter
View attachment 130670

Last edited:
I've sat on the terrace at the bar restaurant on the bend under the bridge at Ft Bragg a couple of times watching the boats coming in and out.
Excellent place to spend a few hours.
I'd love to do that coast in my own boat one day.

This is exactly what I do. Takes the bite out of beam seas.

Ah yes, what fond memories of entering Ft. Bragg, on our trip down the coast a few years back.
Just a few miles north of the entrance is were the steering ram blew a seal and drained all the hydraulic fluid and we lost all steering. But after locating the emergency tiller and setting up the iPad in the stern cockpit we made it to just before the bridge. If not for the bow and stern thrusters it would have been a hairy ride to the dock. If I was single handed I probably would have asked for help from the coast guard.
Not much in the way of services in Ft. Bragg but we did find a small machine shop and he was able to help us rebuild the ram. The Marina staff were a big help in sorting things out, along with Amazon delivering parts and supplies to get us repaired.

Cheers, Kevin

I am in Fort Bragg for a couple of days as the weather is turning snotty.

To walk from the marina to town is an all day adventure. But if i launch my skiff it's only a couple hundred feet.

Attachments

• 856D8B73-3457-4FEE-81AD-F8CFFD6AC123.jpg
    856D8B73-3457-4FEE-81AD-F8CFFD6AC123.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 51
This morning I am making way from Bodega Bay to Monterey. The seas are benign, but a bit beamy during the first part to Point Reys as they are coming out of the northwest.
After that I turn to the southeast and the waves will be behind me for the rest of the day.
Today I am traveling at 9 knots which is sufficient to get me to Monterey before nightfall.

For folks planning this route Bodega Bay is not on my list of places to return to. Not cruiser friendly. The harbor staff was nice enough but the harbor is full with no transient space available simply because there is a large fishing fleet and limited room. Boats are rafted several deep right now.

A better option would be to avoid the harbor and anchor in the bay outside the jetty if the conditions are acceptible.

Attachments

• 40EE9C6C-E81C-439B-B4DB-7A0DB6E54709.jpg
    40EE9C6C-E81C-439B-B4DB-7A0DB6E54709.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 9445A0D0-BD84-4AC6-BA79-E02CD82B51A5.jpg
    9445A0D0-BD84-4AC6-BA79-E02CD82B51A5.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 33
  • C300C03D-73F9-4EC2-95C1-7ED7082F13E9.jpg
    C300C03D-73F9-4EC2-95C1-7ED7082F13E9.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 32
  • B5648AC3-7BC9-4DF6-8D0A-C6D46DF628EB.jpg
    B5648AC3-7BC9-4DF6-8D0A-C6D46DF628EB.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 30
The fishing fleet migrates up/down the coast with open commercial seasons. In a month or two, Coos Bay will be rafted several boats deep.

I haven't been a fan of Bodega Bay either due to long slow approach, though it is a relatively safe approach (as long as you don't miss the dogleg turn, a hazard of coming in late with fog). Drakes Bay, 20 nms to the south, is an easy anchorage and saves transit time.

Interesting story about Drakes Bay. Sir Francis Drake aboard his Golden Hind careened for repairs on the beach here in 1574. Due to prevailing weather and lack of charts, prudence dictated sailing far offshore. The entrance to what is now San Francisco is relatively narrow and, coupled with background mountains such as Mt. Diablo 40 miles inland, effectively hid SF Bay from view or surely Drake would have careened in SF Bay.

Kevin - last time I sailed into Monterrey I enjoyed watching the old Italian fishermen playing Bocce Ball near thr marina. Wonder if they're still there?

Peter

This morning I am sitting on my boat feeling good about life and my adventure.
I've come all the way from Alaska and am in what I would call Southern California.

The sun is coming out, and today I am going to visit the Monterey Aquarium.

Here are a couple of photos from the boat.

Attachments

• AC60E7B3-EFAC-40E8-890E-5B4FD57F80FE.jpg
    AC60E7B3-EFAC-40E8-890E-5B4FD57F80FE.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 7FE0EE3F-547B-49E6-B3F5-709D93998245.jpg
    7FE0EE3F-547B-49E6-B3F5-709D93998245.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 40
on your way south i was wondering what percentage of transient dock marinas ask for insurance?

I think we stayed three weeks in Monterey on our way south. Lots of great food and even a Peet's Coffee within easy walk of the marina. If you want a little off-boat time, rent a car and drive down Hwy 1 to Big Sur. Have lunch at Nepenthe and enjoy one of the most scenic drives on the planet.

Love following yours's and AKDoug's adventures. When you find yourselves in Mazatlán lets connect up for a beverage and some more sea stories!:socool:

This morning I am sitting on my boat feeling good about life and my adventure.
I've come all the way from Alaska and am in what I would call Southern California.

The sun is coming out, and today I am going to visit the Monterey Aquarium.

Here are a couple of photos from the boat.

That’s awesome Kevin! Glad you are feeling good about everything.

In a few weeks that town will be crowded as the Pebble Beach car concours and race comes to it.

A cute down nearby worth walking through is Carmel. 17 mile drive at Pebble and also as mentioned above going to Big Sur. Rent a car for the day.

Thanks guys!

Regarding Big sur, fortunately I have made that drive a couple years ago and loved it!

Regarding insurance, I have not been asked for my insurance at any harbor. One harbormaster said that she was supposed to verify insurance but a boat like mine is obviously insured. She indicated that there is a problem with transient sail boats in bad condition coming into town and deciding to stay.

It's funny you mention that. Geographically, you are correct, with the SF bay approximately in the middle of the CA coast. But if you are a Californian, So Cal starts at Santa Barbara, Monterey is central CA, SF is northern CA, and all the rest north of SF doesn't exist.

It's funny you mention that. Geographically, you are correct, with the SF bay approximately in the middle of the CA coast. But if you are a Californian, So Cal starts at Santa Barbara, Monterey is central CA, SF is northern CA, and all the rest north of SF doesn't exist.

lol exactly that!

that's too funny I never thought about it like that.

i'm playing around Monterey today and will be out of here tomorrow morning and will stay in Morro Bay tomorrow night and Santa Barbara the next day.

if I can get a transient slip in Santa Barbara I'll have the boat there for a couple weeks visiting my mom. if not I'll keep going down to Ventura where I'm pretty sure they have a slip and just rent a car to go visit her

Back
Top Bottom