In sanity on the move again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
Well, we just landed a job in RI and we're in Georgia. Start date: 1 month from now. After putting in my 2 weeks, that means we need to make it 1000 miles in 14 days.

Probably not going to make it. May have to leave the boat somewhere and come back for her.

I'll keep you posted here. Cleaned the hull and bought a new radar for more confidence during overnight passages.

Cleaning dive gear and a shot of our lovely lady

Attachments

• 15298797982412465882591495756731.jpg
    15298797982412465882591495756731.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 160
  • 15298798104793419825356767685240.jpg
    15298798104793419825356767685240.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 168
125 hrs at 8kts. 14 days has about 336 hours available, so about 37% underway making way. I'd guess it do-able. Looking forward to following along.

MRR: I hope so, thanks

Tilt: that's the plan, weather permitting!

FWIW, we returned from Charleston to Annapolis in 9 -- relatively easy -- travel days, inside.

Except for the Chesapeake leg, which we ran on plane, our speeds were all in the neighborhood of 8 kts.

-Chris

If you go out into the gulf stream, you will gain a couple of knots + going North. Somewhere above Diamond Shoals, NC you'll want to stay within a few miles of the coast line as the the gulf stream gets quite a bit further off shore. All you need is a good weather window for a couple of days. 8 knot hull speed plus 2 knot gulf stream would make almost 500 miles in 2 days.

Ted

And don't forget you have very long days right now. However, the key is having enough crew so it's not long, killer days that lead to misery.

Three crew makes for nice day travel. Three can do round the clock, but that is stressful. Round the clock ok with four.

Three crew makes for nice day travel. Three can do round the clock, but that is stressful. Round the clock ok with four.

I agree and no reason to do round the clock with 14-15 hours of light right now.

Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Round the clock may be necessary if we make those offshore passages. We're working on putting a crew together - there are a number of good options on the table here.

Ted,
The stream would be fun if it's close enough at our time of departure. It's been a little far offshore recently. Check this out though - a good resource for all you coastal cruisers. This is the job I(Gabe) am leaving; Oceanographic radar tech.https://hfradar.ndbc.noaa.gov/

The key will be the weather. Hopefully will get better but we've had crap here in eastern Long Island sound.
Stay safe and get here in one piece.

Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Round the clock may be necessary if we make those offshore passages. We're working on putting a crew together - there are a number of good options on the table here.

Ted,
The stream would be fun if it's close enough at our time of departure. It's been a little far offshore recently. Check this out though - a good resource for all you coastal cruisers. This is the job I(Gabe) am leaving; Oceanographic radar tech.https://hfradar.ndbc.noaa.gov/
Well I wouldn'tturn East to get into it, but I'd certainly angle for it. If you caught it somewhere in SC, the extra speed could be significant for the few extra miles.

Ted

Mr Leonard:
That's a good question. We've called a number of marinas (but not all of them, yet!). We'd like to be in south county but are having trouble finding a slip. So far we have one option in EG but have not settled on it yet.

There's got to be a Brewers nearby with capacity (They are now called Safe Harbor I think)
Good luck
Jay

He would have to get quite a bit of easterly travel to get to GS. There is a counter current with southerly set that he will be fighting near the coast in the bight from Hatteras to Jax. When southbound with tows, I get tight to the west to take advantage of the .7 kt set...Or at least get out of the GS.
One long day/overnight/day passage would really get some miles under the keel if he has the crew,confidence in his equipment and fuel range....wx permitting. 14 days is plenty, with no wx delays or mechanical issue.
A look at Pilot chart will show counter current.

If he is game for a coastal passage, it would still be worth it to do a day/night/day a few miles off the beach,in my opinion. Lots of hours lost in the ICW "calling it a day" because next marina too far away. It would be a shame not to be able to have some leisurely days in the Chesapeake Bay, transit Del bay. Stop at Cape may, up the Jersey shore and have some relaxing time again in LIS

Last edited:
Prep, Day two

Purchased bilge pumps for dinghy. We'll be towing her offshore so climbing in with the hand pump isn't going to cut it. Install pics coming as soon as the rain lets up.

Inventoried filters, fluids, impellers and belts. My racor spares seem to have been used up. Not due to boogers, just regular changes over the years.

Gabe

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180625_173817161.jpg
    MVIMG_20180625_173817161.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 112
Prep, day 3:
We have a tentative third crew member signed up for the trip (dog and rabbit don't count). He's a good friend with a lot of small boat experience. He's been offshore a little so I think he'll do great. Now if only I could get the dog to steer.....

Radar arrived today! I got the dome up but haven't wired the head yet. It will have to wait until tomorrow.

Attachments

• 15300633764757479338174038356845.jpg
    15300633764757479338174038356845.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 105
Northern cruising guide arrived in the mail today. A quick perusal has us excited for new cruising grounds!

The radar head was powered up but the dome cables haven't been finished (80% run). Slowed by a farewell dinner with friends.

Our 3rd crew member is in, 100%. Woohoo!

Wired and functioning!!

Now I just need a vessel to come by on ais so I can see if that works too...

Attachments

• 15301907579682067188731754911304.jpg
    15301907579682067188731754911304.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 117
Today I picked up a few fittings, spockets and doo-dads as spares. We're getting close to the final fueling/provisioning!

The big project today is to get all the old waypoints/ tracks off the collection of old units and onto the new one. ESPECIALLY my old fishing drops in RI for when we get there. I'd show you those, but then I'd have to kill you.

Went out over the weekend to run the engines a little harder than usual. A "stress test" if you will. They ran great. I'm waiting for them to cool to check the fluids but the gauges and ir gun showed no problems.

We ran the heck out of the generator, more for the AC than anything else. The heat index was well into the 100s. It did well. It might be eating a little oil, it's hard to tell just yet.

Topped up the fuel tanks. She's sitting low now!

We were thrown a great farewell party by our dock mates. "Parting is such sweet sorrow". All those pictures have been censored. Haha

Lastly, we stocked up on $200 worth of dry goods. We'll make another run on Thursday for the rest of the fresh stuff. Departure may have been moved to Friday eve if Em can get back from work early enough to catch the tide. Otherwise, it will be 4am Saturday.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180701_161644849.jpg
    MVIMG_20180701_161644849.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20180630_113852044_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180630_113852044_HDR.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 118
If the weather is good enough to go outside from Norfolk to New York Harbor (or even around Montauk and directly into Narragansett Bay) you should be able to make it easily in two weeks even using the ICW along the east coast. We've made the ICW trip from mid-Florida (Merritt Island) to Norfolk (and usually into Canada or Maine) over a dozen times. With just the two of us onboard, we figure two weeks to mid-Chesapeake on the ICW, allowing one day per week for a lay day due to weather (we did make it northbound one time to Buzzards Bay in two weeks in mid-summer underway from sunrise to sunset and anchoring all the time in order to save time). Chesapeake and Delaware Bays are the long way around the next leg - the direct shot along the coast is much shorter. Going outside from Georgia to Norfolk will also save 2-3 days, and there are numerous places you can duck inside if necessary. Weather will be the determining factor!!!

Hmmm.... The weather man is throwing a wrench in the plans. Looks like it's going to blow up offshore over the weekend. We'll see as we get closer.

We've been packing furiously to"roll proof" the boat the past few days.

"Keep your deck clear or the sea will clear it for you." But it also applies to counter tops and tables.

I did rig up a couple fishing rods today. You know, just in case....

Good luck and good tides. I'll be watching from the, ummmm, sidelines.

It's a shame you didn't leave a week or so earlier. We have been enjoying flat seas off the mid-Atlantic for the last 6 days. Was 50 miles off Ocean City, MD on Monday. Less than 1' seas Saturday through Monday.

Ted

It's a shame you didn't leave a week or so earlier. We have been enjoying flat seas off the mid-Atlantic for the last 6 days. Was 50 miles off Ocean City, MD on Monday. Less than 1' seas Saturday through Monday.

Ted

I know, it's been killing us. The long run from Savannah to Beaufort(NC) we were going to try to make is looking like it will have to be shortened to Georgetown now due to the front that will be passing through the area Saturday evening. :banghead:

Thanks for the well wishes Ben2go!

Today is final provisioning including fresh fruits and veggies. We could probably vacuum once more as well with all the clomping around, in and out of all the storage spaces and engine room. Dock box has been sold, car transportation plans are finalized, fuel tanks topped up, decks cleared (mostly). We're aiming for a 5 pm departure tomorrow afternoon.

I know, it's been killing us. The long run from Savannah to Beaufort(NC) we were going to try to make is looking like it will have to be shortened to Georgetown now due to the front that will be passing through the area Saturday evening. :banghead:

Thanks for the well wishes Ben2go!

Today is final provisioning including fresh fruits and veggies. We could probably vacuum once more as well with all the clomping around, in and out of all the storage spaces and engine room. Dock box has been sold, car transportation plans are finalized, fuel tanks topped up, decks cleared (mostly). We're aiming for a 5 pm departure tomorrow afternoon.

You're welcome. :thumb:

With lots of hours watching the AP steer ,,you can contemplate how to stay warm in Real Winter after you get there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom