Rock Hall, MD, to Ottawa, ON, CA, and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
With any kind of luck and several months' preparatory work, we're planning to depart Rock Hall, MD, for points north and west, early next week. Chesapeake Bay, Delaware River and Bay, the Atlantic coast of NJ, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau Canal, Ottawa River, St Lawrence River, Richelieu River & Chamby Canal, Lake Champlain, NY State Canal, and home.

I'll post a little something here as things happen.

Awesome trip. We did all the same, except in Sorrell we kept going out the St Lawrence and came around New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia.

Greetings,
Mr. DH. We've done portions of that trip as well and can echo the above sentiments.

We did that route in 2015 and most of that route in 2016. It is a great trip.
The Canadian canals are going to be busy this year, with the 150 yr celebration in Canada and the lock passes are free. The Rideau Canal is still one of my favorite cruising grounds.

Enjoy

Note NY canals are also free this yr.
Be sure to sign up for NY Canals Notice to Mariners. Can be Txt or email your choice. There have been a number of lo & hi water warnings as well as lock closures this yr already.
Also be sure to check ahead of looking for marinas on Lk Ont & St Lawrence...emergency hi water conditions creating havoc in many towns and marinas.
Good luck...that is a wonderful itinerary.

Note NY canals are also free this yr.
Be sure to sign up for NY Canals Notice to Mariners. Can be Txt or email your choice. There have been a number of lo & hi water warnings as well as lock closures this yr already.
Also be sure to check ahead of looking for marinas on Lk Ont & St Lawrence...emergency hi water conditions creating havoc in many towns and marinas.
Good luck...that is a wonderful itinerary.

Same thing on Ottawa river, at least one marina has been totally destroyed and won't open this year, another one will have only half capacity as they lost half of their docks.
On our side we aim to depart next Monday if our familly issues are resolved since then.
Hope to cross your path on Ottawa river!

Enjoy!

L.

With any kind of luck and several months' preparatory work, we're planning to depart Rock Hall, MD, for points north and west, early next week. Chesapeake Bay, Delaware River and Bay, the Atlantic coast of NJ, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau Canal, Ottawa River, St Lawrence River, Richelieu River & Chamby Canal, Lake Champlain, NY State Canal, and home.

I'll post a little something here as things happen.

That sounds like an incredible voyage! Do you have any rough schedule or estimate of how long you'll be out? I have considered doing part of that trip and wondered about that.
BD

BD, I made a spreadsheet and estimated daily passages for the whole route w/o estimates for the few (but important) tide-affected portions. Turned out to be 45 days in which we'd be moving the boat. We simply doubled that for an estimated duration of the adventure. I then made a calendar on the spreadsheet and transferred the passages to it but we are careful to not call this a schedule.

The spreadsheet is an Excell and I'll send it to those interested (or post it here if I knew how).

PM sent. Thanks!

The record setting heights of Lake Ontario must not be ignored.

Give or take 3 feet higher at the moment, depending on what benchmark the foaming alarmists are using.

Just take care, discount your depth readings, and watch, the breakwaters are hiding under water all over the place.

RB

First day. A little short of intentions; we stopped in the basin at Chesapeake City on the C&D canal, rather than run through to Delaware City.

Who knew? Apparently the Norcold Fridge does not run unless the engines or the genset are/is running. Should have known; the sailboat's Grunnert icebox was the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 102
First day. A little short of intentions; we stopped in the basin at Chesapeake City on the C&D canal, rather than run through to Delaware City.

Who knew? Apparently the Norcold Fridge does not run unless the engines or the genset are/is running. Should have known; the sailboat's Grunnert icebox was the same.

Which you a nice peaceful trip! Enjoy the journey!

Be safe.

L.

We did the same trip last year, it was great. I didn't see any mention of the 1000 Islands.
I hope your planning on seeing this also. We worked our way as far as Brockville, than back to Kingston and the Rideau.

Day two finds us 'back on schedule'. Cape May NJ after a fairly rough but uneventful trip down Delaware Bay. Blowing 15-20 kts from the east with a fetch of as much as 10 miles made for a bumpy ride for about the last 15 miles.

A pod (of about 5) of dolphins greeted us at the entrance of the Cape May Canal, Delaware end.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Dolphins.jpg
    Dolphins.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 112
We are really liking your boat and the way you store your kayak gave me a very good idea!!!
Happy cruising Doug.

Regards,

L.

16 June, Friday AM. Continued to blow 15+kts from the east yesterday, so we traveled from Cape May to Atlantic City via the ICW. We draw 3'-6" and touched down several times. Atlantic City is perfectly ghastly, colored lights, graphics on the buildings (Harrah's is particularly awful!).

Looks MUCH nicer in the AM: Atlantic City to the left, the causeway to Brigantine (with the houses) on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 103
16 June, Friday AM. Continued to blow 15+kts from the east yesterday, so we traveled from Cape May to Atlantic City via the ICW. We draw 3'-6" and touched down several times. Atlantic City is perfectly ghastly, colored lights, graphics on the buildings (Harrah's is particularly awful!).

Looks MUCH nicer in the AM: Atlantic City to the left, the causeway to Brigantine (with the houses) on the right.

I was looking at Waterway Guide alerts earlier and noticed the NJ ICW area. I reported shoaling at mile 5, 17, 29.5, 31, 46, 53, 57 and 60. So basically the entire section. Not surprised you touched. Would definitely not encourage someone with a large draft through there. We always go outside from Cape May to Atlantic City.

We continued up the ICW from Atlantic City to Barnegate Light. I stuck the boat but good on a mis-charted sandbar; the Garmin Blue Chart graphics were wrong while their plotted marks were right! Two hours of tugging by TowBoatUS got us off. I think you could do the whole passage with 5' draft but you'd need to be clairvoyant.

Hanging on a BLYC mooring in total protection We'll be here for the upcoming days; weather on the Atlantic will be unsuitable. 35 nm in rough seas? We think not!

Harrah's looked better totally fog-shrouded. Keen eyes, and with the help of good imagination, might see the Barnegate Light.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Be careful when you will go through Rideau canal, some areas are shallow :)

L.

Lovely evening in the harbor at Barnegate Light. All kinds of weather today, but not at all what was predicted. Now we get to wait until midweek to continue up the Atlantic coast to Sandy Hook.

Be careful when you will go through Rideau canal, some areas are shallow :)

L.

And lots of weeds in areas. We got our props fouled a couple of times but hitting reverse cleared them fast.

18 June, Sunday.

Still holed up in Barnegat Light. Tootin' today, tonight, and tomorrow. Might be here to Wednesday before being able to go to NYC.

20 June 2017. Such fun we're having! The past two days were too windy to go anywhere and a dandy line of storms blew through last night. We were chased off the BLYC mooring (but apparently you can call 'em and ask for permission), and have been at anchor since.

We replaced the house bank batts yesterday. The four golf cart batts had boiled dry since the last time I looked, a month or so ago. I replaced 'em with two group 31 and all seems well again.

Upon a check of the bilge prior to moving up the NJICW to Manasquan, since it's still too rough in the Atlantic, I found LOTS of diesel in the bilge. New adventures and expenses are sure to ensue!

Wow, this is shaping up to be a real adventure!

It is an adventure!

The nice thing about this trip is that it's a test of boat handling and maintenance, navigation and piloting, crew management and entertainment. Yet you can wade ashore and call a taxi for home any time during the 1500 mile passage. You are never out of cell phone range. Hell, you can go out to eat every night if you wish. My wife rented a car and drove back to NYC for a wedding shower. We used the car to go to a movie later that night.

Information and resultant plans are coming into place. Basically, the fuel tank replacement project will take at least 6 weeks but as yet unknown boat dollars. The summer trip to CA is not possible this year. We've got house and dog sitters until the middle of September, so we're home as guests while I make models of the new tanks. We'll be living on the boat in NJ and then puddling around the NJ bays, Delaware Bay and of course, the Chesapeake after we have the boat usable again.

I am deeply sorry to see the trouble you have Doug. Wish you all the best with this.

L.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom