Portofino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Just got back from a week on the coast in Italy.* Unfortunately not on*the boat, but here's a few pics from the beach.* The big blue hulled schooner "Meteor" is apparently for sale for a mere $47Mil!

Attachments

• img_0089.jpg
    img_0089.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 76
  • img_0066.jpg
    img_0066.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 71
  • img_0069.jpg
    img_0069.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 69
  • img_0078.jpg
    img_0078.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 73
  • img_0082.jpg
    img_0082.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 82
I like the boats in your fourth photo. Thanks for posting these.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of September 2009 01:44:26 PM

Max,
I like, I like, Ilike. Yes to Marin but I like the two boats in the foreground of the far rt photo. The smaller open (but covered) boat looks like the perfect 12 to 14 knot cruiser. Italy is known for style and that silver bullet boat (ctr) is adverse to my contention that modern boats are mostly unattractive. It is modern (to a 10) and also beautiful (to at least a 10).
Max, we used to be on "O dock (float)" and lived just NE of Smokey Point by the ultralight ctr. We miss the Sisters Restaurant!
Italy usually looks very old. How much of Italy looks more like the US? We always seem to see travel pictures that seek out the old world charm and to the extent that it looks like all of Italy is like that. If we went to Europe it would be very hard to decide where to go. I should have gone as a young man and rode everywhere on a bicycle. Thanks Max.

Eric Henning

nomadwilly wrote:

*How much of Italy looks more like the US? We always seem to see travel pictures that seek out the old world charm and to the extent that it looks like all of Italy is like that. If we went to Europe it would be very hard to decide where to go.
I've spent only a little time in Italy and that was in Rome and the nearby hill villages.* But I've spent a fair amount of time in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich, etc.* And you're correct--- the photo emphasis tends to be on the historic, quaint, picturesque locations.* But almost*all the major cities in Europe, and many of the minor ones, have more modern areas than historic ones.* The historic sections tend to be the city centers since that's where the towns started.* But as you move away from the centers the cities start looking more like everywhere else, with modern (which does not necessarily mean good-looking) buildings, giant industrial parks, warehouse disctricts, you name it.* In many respects it's no different there as here.* The same can be said for Asia.

There are differences in basic architectural philosophy between Europe and the US, and this makes itself apparent from time to time.* For example, the large buildings at Aerospatiale in Toulouse where most Airbus aircraft are assembled are much more architecturally interesting than the assembly buildings at Boeing, which are huge but are little more than slab-sided rectangles.* Both sets of buildings were designed for the same purpose, but in Europe they often take a more interesting and innovative (at least by appearance) approach to what is actually a pretty utilitarian structure.

Here are a few photos to give you an idea of "modern" Europe.* The first is of the most recognized building in London, called the "gherkin" because of its resemblence to a pickle.* The second photo is of the "La Defense" financial district in Paris, which is otherwise a huge but very "low-rise" city.* The last two photos are of typical industiral buildings in Milan, one of Italy's main manufacturing areas.* Looks a lot like Wichita, doesn't it?* And take a look at the buildings that are surrounding the La Defense district in Paris in the second photo.* The apartment blocks and commercial buildings look pretty much like the urban sprawl that has infected every city in the US and Canada.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 01:10:09 PM

Attachments

• milan 4.jpg
    milan 4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 75
  • milan 3.jpg
    milan 3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 63
  • london.jpg
    london.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 69
  • la-defense-paris-financial.jpg
    la-defense-paris-financial.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 74
Here's a couple more.* There is a broker in the harbor selling the first boat, which I believe are locally built.* The little floating barge is a small bar and has the best mussels the wife and I have ever had.* Even better than our local Penn Cove, although I feel a bit like a traitor for admitting that.* It may have had somthing to do with the ambience and the company...
Didn't see but one "trawler", a big Nordhavn hanging on the hook way out in the bay.

Hey Eric, we're on J dock and just had breakfast at Sisters last month.

The modern Italy that we saw was not too impressive.* Very industrial and cold.**We spent some time around the outskirts of Florence and along the coast where the marble is processed.* I'm sure the Italians think the same thing driving down I-5.*

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 70
  • carla.jpg
    carla.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 68
  • boats 2.jpg
    boats 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 73
  • portofino bar.jpg
    portofino bar.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 69
  • sail 1.jpg
    sail 1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 78
Hey M & M,
Thanks for the enlightenment. I always thought I knew that but hearing it from you'all and seeing Marin's photos makes me feel more enlightened. I like light.
Max, that broker should'nt have any trouble selling that boat. What a beauty** ..* and I don't even like the black. Looks like he'd have trouble seeing over the bow w the heln sytation so low*** ..* and I frequently criticize our boats for having the pilot house/bridge too high.
Max, thats a good start but lunch is the meal you want to have at the Sisters. Boy do we miss that place** ..* and the very best is Tory's lunch specials. She makes one every day and usually it's sold out by 1 pm. I guess we went right past you whenever we went out or came in. Is Kathy still at the office?
Marin, I remember Boeing dosn't engage in architectural style. As I recall the workers there refered to the work place as "the plywood palace". We Americans are more focused on getting the job done** ..* unless it means selling lots of stuff (houses and cars) and making lots of money * ..* then we get out the art or style. I remember the main office building on hwy 99 by Boing field looked more like a public service building. Whats this?* ...* me talking about Boeing. I'm outta here.

Eric Henning

Back
Top Bottom