Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Current ICW trouble spots

Greetings,
Where can one find a listing of current or up to date trouble spots or problem areas on the Atlantic ICW. The Admiral is surfing Active Captain, Cruisers Net and others trying to find a comprehensive list and asked me to assist. I'm up to my earballs trying to get the "short" to-do list completed before departure. Any suggestions?
The Admiral thanks y'all in advance.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
This comes out weekly. Just page down down to the area you need.
http://www.icontact-archive.com/e3vn...b-MWyfbZgm?w=4
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
warterwayguide.com under "Navigation Updates" is another source to look at also.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers under each area in the right hand menu, AICW problem spots are a sub-menu

On the Water ChartGuides | Home of On the Water ChartGuides Foundation they update regularly, and conduct frequent detailed depth surveys. Little to no "hearsay" .

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Need to use caution in SE NC anywhere an inlet crosses the ICW. I'm at mm280 and just south of that is Mason's Inlet, shoaling has extended westward into the ICW. There is a portable green can there, but shoaling extends beyond can into channel. Stay to the western side, nearer to the docks. Not so close that the current swings you into the docks, that has happened like three times.

Winter also has our low tides swing a foot or two lower than normal, depending on the weather. Usually happens right after a front comes through.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
They dredged that spot not so long ago, didn't they Ski? Already filled in again?

By the way another good source for a lot of stretches are the USACE hydrographic surveys. For instance:

Charleston District Navigation – Hydrographic Maps

Wilmington District > Missions > Navigation > Hydrographic Surveys > AIWW

Great for inlets too.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The spot behind Brown's Inlet below Swansboro before entering camp Lejeune range is catching quite a few. Little Mud river intersection in Georgia is a known trouble spot. Also, the spot behind New River inlet in NC near Sneads Ferry.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Where can one find a listing of current or up to date trouble spots or problem areas on the Atlantic ICW. The Admiral is surfing Active Captain, Cruisers Net and others trying to find a comprehensive list and asked me to assist. I'm up to my earballs trying to get the "short" to-do list completed before departure. Any suggestions?
The Admiral thanks y'all in advance.
Please forgive me if you have already used the Active Captain app ....AC companion.... but it will warn you of upcoming hazards....nice to know ahead of time but if you fall behind....it does give you a fair warning.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
CruisersNet is the best and most up-to-date. On the side panel click on the state in question and then click on Navigation Alerts. They are listed from North to South. The worst spots in SC are just north of the Ben Sawyer Bridge at ST Mile 460. I believe they are in the process of dredging. Also, the Ashepoo Coosaw Cutoff at Mile 515, but there is an alternate route to get around, that will take about 30 minutes more at trawler speed. What are your plans?
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
Guru

RTF;
+1 for Cruisers Net. It has the most up to date info. I used it last summer as my primary aid to avoiding ICW Trouble Spots (PAAICWTS) or PAWTS for short.

I had plenty of time so I just timed most of the trouble spots for high or near high tide. A little over kill but kept me safe and no bumping!

Here's the current Cruisers Net listing for N.C.: NC AICW Problems | Cruisers' Net

What's your itinerary?

I also used ActiveCapt Companion but I found the info on Cruisers Net more detailed and better for planning. Once on the water Companion is great for showing you when you get close. In planning I just put a Way Pt at the trouble spot on my plotter. That helped me adjust speed to make the Way Pt at high tide.
Worked for me.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
They dredged that spot not so long ago, didn't they Ski? Already filled in again?

By the way another good source for a lot of stretches are the USACE hydrographic surveys. For instance:

Charleston District Navigation – Hydrographic Maps

Wilmington District > Missions > Navigation > Hydrographic Surveys > AIWW

Great for inlets too.
Yep, dug out 2yrs ago. Filled in again since. Not quite as bad as 2yr ago, but bad enough to pile up someone unaware.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Use all the tools mentioned here. Sometimes Active Captain or Cruisersnet or Waterway Guide either can have the latest information. However, one other tool that may be more important than all three. Local knowledge. Get all you can. Talk to people at marinas. Talk to approaching boats to hear how things behind them were. And use the Tow Boat companies. Their captains are always willing to help, at least in my experience, and they sure have the most current information on groundings and problems.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Many thanks for the suggestions thus far. To answer what our plans or itinerary are...Our plans and itinerary are firmly cast in Jello and consist of:
1) Doing our very best to stay off the bottom and avoid contact with "hard" things above, in and below water.
2) Head south to the best of our abilities.
3) Enjoy the adventure.
4) Arrive in Ft. Lauderdale early March'ish (just under 1000 sm-leaving from the Chesapeake area).
All that being said, we fueled up yesterday, spent the night at the fuel dock and upon consulting NOAA this morning found there's a gale warning issued for the area we first have to transit. So.....I anticipate a couple dozen fine NC oysters, fresh green salad with a tasty balsamic and oil dressing, prime rib with mash and gravy, sweet snap peas (think I may stir fry those with a soupcon of garlic and some white wine or lemon) possibly some garlic bread...
Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #14
Guru

RTF; you're my type of cruiser. We spent 3 months getting from Key West to Annapolis. The only way to cruise the ICW IMHO.

We did it last summer, no weather issues, no full marinas, plenty of room in anchorages, etc, but it was hot. AC got a work out.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

All that being said, we fueled up yesterday, spent the night at the fuel dock and upon consulting NOAA this morning found there's a gale warning issued for the area we first have to transit. So.....I anticipate a couple dozen fine NC oysters, fresh green salad with a tasty balsamic and oil dressing, prime rib with mash and gravy, sweet snap peas (think I may stir fry those with a soupcon of garlic and some white wine or lemon) possibly some garlic bread...
And don't forget a good aged white wine. Preferably from France or maybe Italy, but California will do.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #16
Guru

Leaving the FT Pierce, Fl area Monday northbound....see you soon....
Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Leaving the FT Pierce, Fl area Monday northbound....see you soon....
Scott, sorry not to get back down before you leave. Too much stuff going on here. Have a good trip home.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #18

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
ICW Trouble Spots

We were at Jekyll Island Marina for 4 years as livaboards. We love it but the creek is shoaling fast. We saw and checked with an accurate depth sounder on a small boat the spot near Green 19 (documented on cruisers net) go from mlw 6 ft to mlw 4 ft in less than a year. The barges now wait for high tide (range 7-8 ft) The channel at G19 is very narrow and the mud has moved to the East South of G19. Many years ago yachts of the rich and famous anchored in the creek, then they built the causeway and altered the flow of the tides and marsh. Soon with out dredging the creek will be impassable. The Marina dredged last year many of the slips to 13 ft. Now our slip and most of the others are back to 4-5 ft mlw. Our diver could not clean the bottom last month at near low tide. I posted pictures on cruisers net showing the channel at low tide. ICW – Trouble Spots – Jekyll Creek | Cruisers' Net

Hope this helps
In Palatka Fl today enjoying the spring!
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Scott, sorry not to get back down before you leave. Too much stuff going on here. Have a good trip home.
Thanks let me know where you wind up for next winters trip...
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
We were at Jekyll Island Marina for 4 years as livaboards. We love it but the creek is shoaling fast. We saw and checked with an accurate depth sounder on a small boat the spot near Green 19 (documented on cruisers net) go from mlw 6 ft to mlw 4 ft in less than a year. The barges now wait for high tide (range 7-8 ft) The channel at G19 is very narrow and the mud has moved to the East South of G19. Many years ago yachts of the rich and famous anchored in the creek, then they built the causeway and altered the flow of the tides and marsh. Soon with out dredging the creek will be impassable. The Marina dredged last year many of the slips to 13 ft. Now our slip and most of the others are back to 4-5 ft mlw. Our diver could not clean the bottom last month at near low tide. I posted pictures on cruisers net showing the channel at low tide. ICW – Trouble Spots – Jekyll Creek | Cruisers' Net

Hope this helps
In Palatka Fl today enjoying the spring!
Interesting first post in that link about a towboat captain...

He said the same thing I usually say...if you want to know where the channel is, go at dead low tide...that way you don't hit any unexpected shallows and the good news is the tide is starting to rise...or will, shortly.

Assuming there should be enough water....but recent reports may confirm that.