Panama to Alaska Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Approach

Veteran Member
Hi,

I am looking to see who may have done Panama to Alaska north. I see lots of folks have done the reverse.

Thanks

Jim

Richard on Dauntless did it about 4-5 years ago. He has since sold Dauntless and I don't believe participates in the forum any longer.

Tom

Panama to about San Francisco is good weather cruising if you dodge any storms. North of SF is a different ocean and best from about May to September. It's almost never flat like Southern California. There's usually a NW swell from mild to bad. Most people hop from port to port, waiting out the really bad weather. Swells get steeper and closer together near headlands and shallow water. I usually run 25 miles out. There should be several old postings on SF going north.
I use to be a commercial fisherman north of SF. And made the Panama north run in ships.

Crusty Chief did it from Portland OR to Panama, then to Ft. Lauderdale.

I've done the Cabo to AK portion, but not Panama to Cabo.
I have too, a few times. I understand this is the difficult part of the run - the "Baja Bash" as its affectionately called. I've been Southbound a couple times in spring months and was a good ride in either direction.

Peter

We have friends who did this a few years ago. Via Hilo to Sitka, probably the most sensible route

Back
Top Bottom