Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Keep in mind that there are very few power boats that have 3000 nm range and you can't add unlimited bladders.

Now, even in the right boat, the operators become a serious limiting factor.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Do some research on the Nordhavn site and look at the owners stories, I look at one a few years ago of a couple that headed to the West coast of S. America, then to The Galapagos, to Tahiti, up to Hawaii then North over the High to Alaska. If I recall they did it on a N57 ( one of the best in IMHO ). Also there is info out there of a Seattle boat that did the north side of the equator all the way across the pac. to Japan, I think it was a Northern Marine 60.
its doable but its out on the edge.. and that's coming from someone that HAS crossed the pacific in a 35' boat!
HOLLYWOOD

Thanks. These guys circumnavigated in a Nordhavn 43, with their first leg being San Diego to the Marquesas Islands.

Do you consider "on the edge" to be the longer leg or just cruising in that direction in general?
totalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalNewb View Post

Thanks. These guys circumnavigated in a Nordhavn 43, with their first leg being San Diego to the Marquesas Islands.

Do you consider "on the edge" to be the longer leg or just cruising in that direction in general?

I thought when I wrote that I may be heading into rough water...

As a former bluewater sailor I still feel that big passages are a bit more risky on sub 60' power vessels. There could be a argument that if one looses the rig on a sailboat it is on par with loosing the main engine on a trawler.. but when you look at all the parts needed to keep a engine running for a 10000 mile crossing vs the rig up on a sailboat I feel that success is more likely under sail.. I feel the same way on rotor vs fixed wing.
Will/would it keep me from crossing the pacific under power ... nope .
I would do it on the right boat with the right prep without blinking.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

As a former bluewater sailor I still feel that big passages are a bit more risky on sub 60' power vessels. There could be a argument that if one looses the rig on a sailboat it is on par with loosing the main engine on a trawler.. but when you look at all the parts needed to keep a engine running for a 10000 mile crossing vs the rig up on a sailboat I feel that success is more likely under sail.. I feel the same way on rotor vs fixed wing.
Will/would it keep me from crossing the pacific under power ... nope .
I would do it on the right boat with the right prep without blinking.
HOLLYWOOD
Thanks for the clarification HOLLYWOOD. (I won't ask you where you fall on the rotor vs fixed wing issue - I fear there would be major thread creep! )
Old 10-14-2019, 01:17 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification HOLLYWOOD. (I won't ask you where you fall on the rotor vs fixed wing issue - I fear there would be major thread creep! )
Hollywood said "on the edge" and I say the same. The most skilled operators there are in a 43 can do it. I wouldn't and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone with less experience doing so.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Hollywood said "on the edge" and I say the same. The most skilled operators there are in a 43 can do it. I wouldn't and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone with less experience doing so.
Thanks for your input and caution.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
Quote:

Hi,
I read part 1 and part 2 of Christie’s book. The story and the adventures of Kosmos is truly inspiring. Not the “regular” experience. They came across lots of naysayers, people telling them it was a crazy idea, people even stoped talking to them as a result. She tells that story in the book.

But hey, they did it (I wouldn’t do it myself though), but these folks did it and no one can take that as an insult. Some people are more adventurous, others very cautious. To each their own.

If you are planning this, more power to you!
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_can View Post
Hi,
I read part 1 and part 2 of Christie’s book. The story and the adventures of Kosmos is truly inspiring. Not the “regular” experience. They came across lots of naysayers, people telling them it was a crazy idea, people even stoped talking to them as a result. She tells that story in the book.

But hey, they did it (I wouldn’t do it myself though), but these folks did it and no one can take that as an insult. Some people are more adventurous, others very cautious. To each their own.

If you are planning this, more power to you!
Thanks Dan_can

I'm a ways off doing this and appreciate that some people have different appetites for different things. By asking these types of questions it helps me get a picture of what's possible and what it would take. Not just acquiring new skills and knowing the costs involved but also my own physical limitations etc etc.

Quote:
They came across lots of naysayers, people telling them it was a crazy idea, people even stoped talking to them as a result!
I had that when I decided to learn to fly helicopters. I took all views onboard and it made me research harder and find the solution to suit me. Ultimately, it was my responsibility and it all worked out in the end
Old 10-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
Quote:
Thanks Dan_can

I'm a ways off doing this and appreciate that some people have different appetites for different things. By asking these types of questions it helps me get a picture of what's possible and what it would take. Not just acquiring new skills and knowing the costs involved but also my own physical limitations etc etc.

I had that when I decided to learn to fly helicopters. I took all views onboard and it made me research harder and find the solution to suit me. Ultimately, it was my responsibility and it all worked out in the end

That’s awesome!

When I read her books I was stunned. She was very candidly telling all the struggles they encountered and seemed very honest. I exchanged few emails with her after reading the books.

She shares how she got depressed after so many days navigating the ocean and due to the roll and pitch movement she even stopped eating and pretty much doing anything.

She tells that at some point along the way they argue with the idea of selling Kosmos and quitting the circumnavigation.

But despite all the struggles, they pressed on.

The books are not really technical, it is more her telling the story of things they encountered and the many adventures with the Nordhavn.
At some point I though, geez, why they put themselves into such predicament? But they had great resilience and commitment to keep traveling. I admire people like them ad I admire you for your dreams. Keep them up!

Book: The Unexpected Circumnavigation. Unusual boat, unusual peo0le. By Christi Grab
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
These folks are out doing ocean passages in a Pacific Seacraft 31.

https://youtu.be/C-aXQgwfDl0

This man did the east to west route with a Diesel Duck. I have provided a link to approximately the beginning blog of the trip.

Home-Goodbye Philippines, Hello Palau

Some may not care to do it, and some may not recommend it, but many are out doing it safely in a variety of off-the-shelf boats.

Best Wishes
Old 10-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Quote:

She tells that at some point along the way they argue with the idea of selling Kosmos and quitting the circumnavigation.

But despite all the struggles, they pressed on.

Book: The Unexpected Circumnavigation. Unusual boat, unusual peo0le. By Christi Grab
Thanks Dan_can

Perseverance is key!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post

https://youtu.be/C-aXQgwfDl0

This man did the east to west route with a Diesel Duck. I have provided a link to approximately the beginning blog of the trip.

Some may not care to do it, and some may not recommend it, but many are out doing it safely in a variety of off-the-shelf boats.

Best Wishes
Thanks Jeff

The Diesel Duck guy had a 7000nm range! Thats handy. A good read.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post

Best Wishes

Last night I sat up and read the entire blog above..

If the OP really wants to know what its like this is a great read.

His route was interesting and had a lot of cool stuff to see had he had time to stop and check places out. His writings confirmed that a lot of the trip it is the wrong direction to go. Also he made a bad choice leaving Hawaii to not do the typical course and get pretty far north first.. but he made it so it was successful!
Sounds like he had a great boat.. but a slow one for sure. If I wanted to go THAT slow for a total trip average I would stick with sailing.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #34

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
Quote:
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has done this route in reverse?
I have not, my boat has. Single engine 55' steel trawler. Sorry, no fancy brand name to spout, just a solid boat built to go places. We have 3800 gallons of fuel onboard with a range (at ocean crossing speeds of 6 knots) of about 6000 miles.

The PO took the boat from Equador to the Marquesa's with the plan to circumnavigate. His wife got ill and they returned to the states and hired a captain to bring the vessel back to Mexico, which they did. My understanding is that the trip as uneventful. Of course, that was the story I heard during the sales process.

Antipodes has 35,000 nm under her keel and we are eventually taking her across one of the oceans once we retire. We've done Mexico to Alaska so far but no major crossing.
Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Washington State PNW
Vessel Name: Island Comfort
Vessel Model: Monk 38
I have done East to West a half dozen times, in both sail and power. I have only done the opposite once, Power boat, but I went North to the Aleutians, over to Alaska then down. I would no way cross the central Pacific west to east in anything smaller than 300 ft.

It would be far easier to continue on west. More things to see as well.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #36
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Another Diesel Duck that did the passage west to east was M/V Shearwater.

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/mvshearwater/266915
Old 10-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #37

City: World
Vessel Name: SeaWitch
Vessel Model: 47' Cheoy Lee SeaMaster
In September of 2013 I started my circumnavigation on 1972 47' trawler type boat from Vancouver, Canada. We spent about 4-5 months in US gong down the coast and In 2015 we crossed to Mexico. It was lovely there so we settled in LaPaz for few years, then I went back to work for a while. We met many nice people there - lifelong friends.

In Jan 2018 back on the boat, preparation for ocean crossing - full time!
I and a friend departed from San Jose Del Cabo on 2,800 NM crossing to Hiva Oua in the Marquises Islands. We arrived there in 17 days.

Consequently we traveled from Hiva Oua to the Tuamotos, then Tahiti, followed trips to Morrea, Huahini, Bora-Bora, Rarotonga Cook Islands, Tonga, Minerva reef and then arrived in New Zealand little less than a year ago in November.

I attended the 2018 "Puddle jumpers rendezvous" in Cook Bay Morrea, where there were 56 sailboats and 1 Power vessel - the mighty SeaWitch.

It was a lot of fun and real adventure doing that trip. I can't wait to get back to the boat in a month or so after spending a full year promoting my new product developed from experience. you can read about it here: 6700 Vitals Vessel System Monitoring & Smart Alarm Device This product has been my helper helped me do remote engine room checks as most of the time.

I was doing mostly "singlehanded" passages with one avid fisherman friend on board to the Tuamotos, or my wife after that to Tahiti who was terrified at night. I took almost all night shifts and it is not a problem once you get into the routine. I had AIS, and 2 radars with short range and long range guard zones going.

Unfortunately I don't do blogs, but if you would like to know any details, please let me know and I will try to help to the best I can
Cheers!
Lets get more power vessel on these Puddle jumpers rendezvous

Picture is from Cook's Bay in Morrea. Magical place only 16NM from Tahiti.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6567.jpg   IMG_6478.jpg  
SeaMaster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #38
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Just made a friend athe AGLCA Fall Rendezvous from NZ that wants to make that trip on a Nordhavn 60 - sounds like a great adventure
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Port Saint Lucie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's the distance and possible conditions. There are Nordhavns capable of ocean crossings but the 41 and 43 are limited in that respect. I've known people to cross the Pacific in 150-200' yachts but they don't attempt it all in one run as they couldn't based on fuel and they either do it around the outside, the rim, or they island hop. I'd suggest you read the story of the delivery of the Nordhavn 120 and see their route and the conditions they faced taking the safe route.
Where can you "read" that story? I watched the video many times but didn't know there was anything written up on it.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Where can you "read" that story? I watched the video many times but didn't know there was anything written up on it.
Still looking for the story from the Nordhavn site, but here's a recap until I find it.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/m...n-nordhavn-120

Can't find written log, but here is the dvd.

https://nordhavn.com/resources/merch...-to-vancouver/