Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
Of course, the South Shore Manager in charge of refunding our money (we paid a month lease + a month deposit and were only there 3 days) is gone for the weekend. Imagine that!
It always gets me and shows something when the manager of a recreational business which has it's greatest volume of business on weekends, doesn't ever work weekends. Same with retail and managers not ever working their biggest day, Saturday.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #22

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Couldn't have said it better myself BandB
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Coincidentally, the trucker with Xanadu is in Des Moines right now and he'll be at our home marina on the Missouri tomorrow morning - but the marina service department is closed on the weekends, when lines build up at the lauching ramps and 90% of the slipholders who take their boats out will cast off thier lines. If it were allowed, I could pull up a boat repair van at the lauching ramps and fix minor things all day long as boaters launch and haul out. Never made any sense to me whatsoever that a marina service department is closed on weekends.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Good luck with the deposit. We had the police out there and witnesses about the drunk climbing on board our boat but when the police showed up nobody saw anything. I wrote a bunch of letters but we never did get our deposit back.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself BandB
It reminds me of a manager in a distribution center that worked three shifts, 24 hours a day. When I was young, I found myself there at 9 pm observing all sorts of things. Then curious, I returned at 3:00 am. Wasn't a pretty picture then. I asked the manager the next day the last time he'd been there at night. He said he worked the day shift. I then said, "Then we should demote you to shift supervisor, since Manager is responsible for all shifts?" Much of management is not rocket science. At 9:00 PM I observed the majority of that shift taking a 2 hour plus lunch break and all work stopped. At 3:00 AM I observed three employees returning from a trip outside the building, all three reeking of alcohol. Oh and at about 10:00 pm I observed someone in the rest room an extra long time and checked when he left to find the soft drink can he used to smoke crack. He happened to be the son of the security guard.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Good luck with the deposit. We had the police out there and witnesses about the drunk climbing on board our boat but when the police showed up nobody saw anything. I wrote a bunch of letters but we never did get our deposit back.
Hope you have put that in Active Captain.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

Hope you have put that in Active Captain.
Last week I left a negative (but fairly mild) comment on activecaptain about a pretty gross marina bathroom and they deleted it. I wonder if they'll allow a note about this situation.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #28
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
So if you're cruising and decide to stay put for a month the marina calls that a livaboard? Seems to me that's just an extended stay, thank you for the business.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
So if you're cruising and decide to stay put for a month the marina calls that a livaboard? Seems to me that's just an extended stay, thank you for the business.
Different places, different marinas, different rules. There is no universal definition of what a liveaboard is. I know some that limit you to as little as 3 or 4 nights.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Last week I left a negative (but fairly mild) comment on activecaptain about a pretty gross marina bathroom and they deleted it. I wonder if they'll allow a note about this situation.

ActiveCaptain deleted a negative review?

-Chris
Old 06-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
ActiveCaptain deleted a negative review?

-Chris
Wasn't even a bad review, it was just a phrase added in the "services" tab for the marina listing under "Head." Seymour's Boatyard in Northport, NY. It's a bare bones marina so there are no showers or anything, which is perfectly fine of course, but their bathroom is very odd -- you walk up the hill from the marina and the (one, unisex) bathroom is in the basement of a Victorian house. You go down old-fashioned slanted exterior basement stairs, then hit a circuit-breaker thing just outside the bathroom to turn on the light. The toilet is below grade so it's mounted on one of those basement pump boxes and the ceiling is about 6+ feet high. I've been to more marina bathrooms than I can count, but that one was just plain weird, felt like the Bates Motel, sorry Seymours Boat Yard. And I'm not a fussy snob either. So in the "Services" tab I edited the "Head" box to say "Bathroom is in the basement of a Victorian house up the hill behind the marina." The edit was there a few hours, then somebody deleted it. Maybe ActiveCaptain thought it was a joke, but it's completely factually true.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #32

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
This particular marina states in their rules "if you stay on your boat more than 7 days, you can be evicted".
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #33
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:

This particular marina states in their rules "if you stay on your boat more than 7 days, you can be evicted".
This sounds like a grade A Establishment, note to self...unless towed in under duress don't stop here
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #34
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Wasn't even a bad review, it was just a phrase added in the "services" tab for the marina listing under "Head." ...

And I'm not a fussy snob either. So in the "Services" tab I edited the "Head" box to say "Bathroom is in the basement of a Victorian house up the hill behind the marina." The edit was there a few hours, then somebody deleted it. Maybe ActiveCaptain thought it was a joke, but it's completely factually true.

Ah. Maybe if it had been in the review section, it might have stayed...

-Chris
Old 06-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ah. Maybe if it had been in the review section, it might have stayed...

-Chris
That was my thought too. Having not read exactly what was posted, when mentioned here it sounded more like review than content. I'm sure AC does have some internal guidelines on posts in the other sections while granting reviews far more leeway.