Norfolk, VA to Carrabelle, FL March-May 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We anchored our way here to Twin Dolphin Marina in Bradenton on the Manatee River via a couple of short-for-us days just to eat up some time before our Big Bend crossing weather window starts tomorrow (Saturday). It is 212 statute miles for here to the side tie berth in The Moorings Marina in Carrabelle, and it will take every bit of the 30-hour window I see with 0-2 foot seas (swell not accounted for). There is severe weather potential on Sunday evening when we will hopefully be secured. Additionally, the tide should be at a stand at high when we arrive, which is a good thing current-wise. We will spend the next day and a half getting ourselves and the boat ready to hand over to the owner and expect to be home sorting over a month's worth of mail by Tuesday afternoon 21 April 2020, thirty-six days since we drove off from home in a rental car to fetch this boat.

On your final leg. Congrats! Should be a not-so-difficult 25 hr run. In July 2018 I ran my trawler in opposite direction from Grand Isle, LA to Twin Dolphin Marina in Sarasota. That was 410 nm! Fortunately, we also has a sweet weather window.

My ninth time across this stretch of water, mostly in a GB42 classic. Wife prefers FLAT, and we have seen that, but I never go unless the forecast is 0-2 feet and expect 3-4. :)

Finished with engine

Finished the delivery today after a nasty night on the Gulf in light winds but short-period 3-5 foot swells on the beam making for a nasty ride. I am not sure but what the fin stabilizers on this vessel don't contribute to snap rolling in such conditions, which we did. However, the admiral favored having them on; so.... Anyway, 30 days, 1,661 miles and we are done.

Last edited:
Nicely done! Now would you do it again? :D

Last edited:
Would I do it again? Well, certainly not during a CV19 crisis. You see, we had cart blanche to do with this vessel as we pleased for an unspecified time, all expenses paid, just so long as at some point without a serious amount of dilly dallying we got it here. Heck, yeah, CV19 notwithstanding.

I appreciated your thread. I got to live vicariously and be on the water through your posts! Stay healthy, and safe travels back to your home.

Thanks guys. Now it's my turn to sit in my recliner for a while.:blush:;)

Back
Top Bottom