Old 03-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #81
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
It was a pleasure to "speak" the Ranger as Chris passed by heading north in the Alligator River today. We ended up in the small Belhaven Marina where we were told we were only the tenth boat to use their transit service this year. We saw maybe ten boats today, mostly sail and all headed north. Not encountering any issues with closed marinas. Everybody practicing best CV19 avoidance measures.

Hey neighbor, I知 enjoying the apocalypse at anchor down in Goose Creek tonight. Looks like we値l cross paths tomorrow sometime
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #82
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
It was a pleasure to "speak" the Ranger as Chris passed by heading north in the Alligator River today. We ended up in the small Belhaven Marina where we were told we were only the tenth boat to use their transit service this year. We saw maybe ten boats today, mostly sail and all headed north. Not encountering any issues with closed marinas. Everybody practicing best CV19 avoidance measures.

Yep, that was nice. Nice lookin' boat. Forgot to mention you'd be missing the fried chicken, since you bypassed Alligator River Marina.

We haven't seen many northbound boats, maybe 25-30 total since Fernandina. Places we've stayed have mostly said we'd be at the head of the northbound migration, as early as this... if there were to be a real migration given COVID-19 response.

-Chris
Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #83
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Hey neighbor, I知 enjoying the apocalypse at anchor down in Goose Creek tonight. Looks like we値l cross paths tomorrow sometime
And so we did this morning coming out and into Goose Creek. Nice chat, Dave, and here's the pic of the day. And, yes, it was really thoughty of you to arrange those fenders in such a unique and orderly manner for me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02794.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #84
Guru

There were NO transient boats at Coinjock when we passed through yesterday. The bazillion-foot-long face dock was empty. Dunno if they'd have offered carry-out prime rib or not...

The Albemarle Sound was decent, and in accordance with the forecast. Currituck Sound, ditto. I actually don't like the latter all that much; long spans of relatively shallow channel surrounded by wide open expanse of too-shallow water...

Diesel at Top Rack Marina is $1.919/gal incl. tax for anyone interested in the area...

-Chris
Old 03-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #85
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
FYI, passed by Fernandina yesterday on the way to the anchorage at Cumberland. It is currently open and taking transients on the docks and on balls. Still no fuel though.

Beach Marine in JAX Beach were replacing their fuel pumps but I heard yesterday that the work has been completed. Palm Cove Marina across the ICW are out of fuel and reporting a delivery is scheduled for Friday.

God's speed.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #86
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Ahoy Meaty! I tried to post this yesterday, but I致e been in cellular pergatory. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sir Richard. I hope you and the admiral enjoy the rest of your free quarantine cruise!

https://youtu.be/wHQXHIWv8RQ
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #87
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
And so we did this morning coming out and into Goose Creek. Nice chat, Dave, and here's the pic of the day. And, yes, it was really thoughty of you to arrange those fenders in such a unique and orderly manner for me.

I thought it was already determined in other thread that on Sylphide at least, those were not "fenders", they were "boobies!"
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #88
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
I thought it was already determined in other thread that on Sylphide at least, those were not "fenders", they were "boobies!"

My wife calls them "Lock Bling" lol
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #89
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Beaufort, NC is shutting down except for essential travel. Homer Smith Marina employees may or may not be "essential travelers." Except for TP and hand sanitizer, Food Lion, accessed via the marina loaner car, was well enough stocked.

Marinas here in Wrightsville Beach all seem open with restaurants doing take out.

Less than a dozen northbound rec vessels seen daily. We are only southbound we have seen.

If you are in the "get there" mode and not into the tourista mode, there is really not too much CV19 impact as far as I can see.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:02 AM   #90
Guru

Making about 60 miles a day at our sedate pace. The Lightkeeper Marina, a very extensive basin off the AICW, told us we were the last transient to be accepted during the virus crisis, and I had called to any number of marinas in the Little River area trying to find one accepting outsiders. Last night we had no trouble finding a marina here in Georgetown and a taxi ride to Walmart to stock up in case we have trouble getting ashore after Charleston, which place we are going today. The dock masters in the marinas are courteous and apologetic for not being able to do anything other than place a line around a cleat. They will not touch anything else like the shore power cable and requested we bring our own pen to sign the credit card receipt. Having been socially isolated since leaving home on 16 March to get to the boat and very isolated since, it is likely we are the virus-free persons, but of course neither we nor the marina staff want us to get infected and carry it to the next stop.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:10 AM   #91
Guru

We arrived at our home port day before yesterday, and spent yesterday packing and schlepping the first carload of stuff -- including the Ship's Cat and her supplies -- to our house.

When still underway, we didn't encounter any marinas that were closed... although co-located restaurants were usually either only doing take-away (usual) or were altogether closed. The latter was less common, but I suspect in those instances the restaurants just may not have ever had enough business to make that switch viable.

We were also able to fuel every time we wanted to, although that was only in Georgetown prepping for the ocean run to Southport, and then again at Top Rack prepping for the Chesapeake run.

That said, we could tell from the news that we were maybe always just one step ahead of a closure, so our last several legs were each twice and long as our usual pace... and that in turn meant we "zoomed" on past several of the stops we would have usually made. And we bypassed a couple of our usual en route family visits by doing that, too.

The last leg, 140 NM from Top Rack to Annapolis... on plane except for through Portsmouth... just wasn't our favorite. Plus it started out a bit rough, with choppy seas... but at least that eventually laid down enough to be OK and at one point even got smooth for a while.

-Chris
Old 03-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #92
Guru

We have made it to Charleston Harbor Marina and the usual shutdown businesses. There was no indication that transients and fuel were any problem for them. Had I a good anchorage at hand at the end of this day, that would have been preferable to the bouncy place we find ourselves in. Glad we have this heavy boat tonight! Glad you made it home in good shape, Chris.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #93
Guru

Any reason you didn't go on down to the City Marina - much better facility.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #94
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I know more than a few including me that don't like the City Marina.

I have stopped in the Charleston area easily 20+ times for up to a week at a time.... a half dozen at the City Marina and it was my least favorite.

I know few that recommend iit including a great friend that lives in Charleston and kept his boat there for years...till he tried elsewhere.

I prefer the Maritime Center if the wx isn't from the NE, St John's for just stopping for the night and not going into town, Isle of Palms if I have been downtown recently, Ashley for longer term.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #95
Guru

I was actually asking Rich.

We have stayed there many times and loved it for lots of reasons.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

I dunno, just ignorance of all the solutions, I suppose. Easy in and out since we are only staying 13-1hours. Our tiny water supply cannot support doing the laundry; so we moor on laundry days and git-r-dun with me refilling the tank after each load just to keep from having to fill it all at once or forgetting in the morning. We will be in the marshes for awhile now, or at sea if these winds will just quit.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #97
Guru

Not uncommon to visit a place some people like and others not so much.

Personal preference is what keeps the world going round.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not uncommon to visit a place some people like and others not so much.

Personal preference is what keeps the world going round.
Yep.

Though I have never ever met anyone who did not like Cumberland Island!

Or for that matter, very few who did not like St Augustine!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #99

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Quote:

"Poof! ItMF"
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Yep.

Though I have never ever met anyone who did not like Cumberland Island!

Or for that matter, very few who did not like St Augustine!
Visiting a place is not necessarily the same as liking one marina or not in the area.

You are way off base in this one.