New York Canal System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should have narrowed my statement but I do stand behind the "Some" comments.

I have heard two loopers talk about how the economy of the towns along the canal will be destroyed if looping is restricted. I heard the talk even with the Illinois River locks being shut and I've heard it when discussing the electric fencing and controlling species. The problem is when they use the false premises to argue over funding for the canals, instead of other arguments. I've only heard two or three loopers make these claims and know of hundreds who would never do so.

I also witnessed a disagreement at a small local Erie Canal Ice cream shopped. The looper, a woman, insisted there should be a loop discount. The owner said there wasn't one. The woman then said, "You treat us like we don't matter and you'd never survive without loopers." She was then asked to leave and was refused service and left screaming and cursing. The store owner just said "what is it with loopers?" I have no idea what previous encounters she'd had. I know we didn't dare mention we were in the process of looping as we wanted our ice cream too much.

My point is not to put down loopers as we are also loopers. However, it is simply to say that economic arguments are not in our favor. I will continue to beg and plead for the Erie Canal to remain open annually and be usable for looping because I do understand that the finances are very negative and like much of national treasures and art and culture can never be financially justified as you can't put dollars and cents on contribution to our lifestyles.

The poor ice cream shop owner likely sees a handful of loopers each year. Don't worry though, I'm sure there is money for the canals somewhere in the COVID stimulus bill being about to be passed.

I would offer that if someone is a 'looper' is not really relevant to the local economies. What is relevant is the number of visitors to the canal. Could by loopers, other boaters, or simply tourist who want to see the canal and boats.

The Erie Canal and Trent Severn Waterway remain on our 'to-do' list. It's beginning to look like we may end buying a trailerable boat to do these two waterways and other boating.

Jim

You are correct, and I would add that in some areas, the traffic of the people on land contribute far more to the canals and surrounding business than boaters do. I have not been on the Erie canal but did the Champlain canal from VT to NY as part of my boat delivery trip. Lots of great things to see on Lake Champlain and the Hudson river as well.

The poor ice cream shop owner likely sees a handful of loopers each year. Don't worry though, I'm sure there is money for the canals somewhere in the COVID stimulus bill being about to be passed.

I think the ice cream shop story is amusing. There are always people like that. The reality is that probably very few mention that they are doing the Loop. I doubt I mentioned it more than a few times while Looping.

An interesting story: I spent a couple of nights on the Paducah Kentucky dock when it first opened. This dock was an expensive undertaking ($13 million) between the federal government and the city of Paducah. The federal government paid ten million (ear mark for senator Mitch McConnell). The city residents weren't fully on board. The first 2 nights it opened the docks were full, with people rafting off. A bunch of us went out to eat at an upscale steakhouse (Doe's Eat Place) in the late afternoon. The owner came by to express his appreciation for our group's patronage. His opinion of the city's investment changed dramatically when he learned we all came by boat. While I would never claim that Loopers make or break a local business, there is no doubt that there presence adds to the local economy.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom