New pastime while in self quarantine on the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
For the past three years we have been carrying around a hummingbird feeder so Tuesday we decided to set it out. Put it out at 10:55 am and had our first customer at 11:00 am. Been up hill ever since. Have had to refill several times already. Sometimes there are up to 8-10 at a time. These guys are fearless.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 50
Read a story in the journals of Captain Vancouver about pulling into an anchorage on Vancouver Island. Someone on the boat gave a nail to a kid with a hummingbird that had light string (devils club fibre?) tied around its feet. In no time at all there were tons of kids paddling out to the ship with captured hummingbirds buzzing around their heads.

Be prepared for territorial disputes among your new avian friends.

My wife has one outside of our house in Florida.
It works well!!!
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 53
When we are in AZ we always have one hanging on the patio. It's amazing to watch the hummingbirds in their flights. Last year one came up in front of my wife, hovered just a few inches from her face for a few seconds, then disappeared as quickly as it had come.

Sara loves having birds around. I'm betting we have half a dozen regular feeders and the same number of hummingbird ones. I must admit, I'm getting to like them. Seems to be no mess around the hummingbird feeders, but its a different story about the "normal" ones. Made sure to put them in a place where I don't have to go on "poop" patrol.
Never thought of one on the boat. I'm going to try it.

I suspect the cute little things are using up so much energy just 'humming', that pooping has to wait until later..? :)

They definately do poop. We get an occasuonal little smear on the window near one of our feeders. Most falls unobtrusively on a flower bed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom