Old 02-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Your pocito Spanish will be fine!
If you can putt around in Sea of Cortez do it.

I'd say your bigger probemas will be getting spare parts in a timely manner as you get to know your new boat.

I've spent cumulative 4 years out of the last 14 wintering here, here now in baja sur and love it. Should you make it to bahia de conception ill buy the first cervesas.

So is your boat in La Conner, or SOC? Are you heading down this year? Do you anchor out, or stay in marinas? We are looking at heading done, leaving La Conner area the latest we safely can this year, maybe September, if not then, will have to wait until Spring to run down the coast. Suggestions?

Old 02-19-2021, 12:39 AM   #22

City: NW Nevada
Most importantly, what did you get?

Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle and Blaine
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
Most importantly, what did you get?
If this was for me, it is the cat pictured above.

The ad is still up and found here: https://www.unitedyacht.com/used-yac...domino-2764641
Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #24
Guru

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
So is your boat in La Conner, or SOC? Are you heading down this year? Do you anchor out, or stay in marinas? We are looking at heading done, leaving La Conner area the latest we safely can this year, maybe September, if not then, will have to wait until Spring to run down the coast. Suggestions?
Slo, I keep Imagine in La Conner, we use various trailer boats here out of my dirt Casita.
We anchor out or buddy with occasional big boat.

I'll ping you when I'm back in la Conner in the spring and we can chat baja over a beer.
GoneFarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #25
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
When I was the executive officer of a guided missile destroyer scheduled to make a tour with several other ships around South America, we began a hunt for Spanish speakers. Turns out my high school and Naval Academy Spanish from 15 years prior plus what the supply officer could come up with was all we had in a 419-man crew! Boy, did my Spanish come flooding back during those six months.

The Chileans put on a big reception for us senior officers from each ship in Antofagasta, our first port of call in their country. I got into a conversation with a Chilean general officer, I think he was in charge of their air defense system, and a couple of other destroyer non-Spanish speaking XOs seeing me carrying on in his native language with this general, drifted over and stood next to me as if looking for a safe harbor in this all-Spanish sea of senior brass.

The General, a very amiable sort, quickly reached out to them in Spanish saying something to the effect, "Welcome, and I hope you are enjoying yourselves." To my ever-lasting shame for the US Navy, these guys looked like deer in the headlights and instead of asking me what had been said simply looked at me in unison and shrugged their shoulders with their hands out to the side, something we elite destroyermen called the "amphibious salute." The general immediately switched to a very cultured Oxford English saying, "Oh, in that case, let 's use your language." In order to salvage some "face" from this social fiasco, I asked if he would mind if I continued in Spanish while he spoke English, and he graciously acceded, helping me here and there along the way with a word or two.

I found many places on this cruise throughout South America and years later in Central America where NOBODY spoke English.

Nowadays, I guess there are handheld devices now that will translate on the go just like there are handy computers for reducing star sights in navigation.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #26
Guru

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Rgano, see!
The remote Ranchos here, no habla de English.
They are some of the nicest, most gracious generous people I've ever had the privilege to know. And really fun around the camp fire!
GoneFarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Translation...

Old 02-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #28
Guru

Perhaps we just need to invite some locals to teach us about both the language and the fishing.
Photo of a big one on the stern of DOMINO.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
I would look forward to that!
The boat and her current owners are currently in Zihua and looking for a window to get to the dry yard in Guaymas across the Sea from you. About 7 hours across?
Keep an eye out for DOMINO, she is a 65' power cat.
No steel? No brightwork? What will you do with all your spare time aboard?

Sure hope you find the time to stop by for a few days on the California Delta on your way home. I'd love to meet up and show you the local waters sometime! (Spanish not required)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
No steel? No brightwork? What will you do with all your spare time aboard?
I will think of something FLY. It is a boat so likely won't take long.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #31
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
I like to find restaurants full of Mexicans and then ask "what are they having?" Seldom disappoints.

One more useful phrase:

Quiero comprar Immodium, por favor.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:16 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
One more useful phrase:

Quiero comprar Immodium, por favor.
No necesario, generador de agua.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Canby
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar & MV Southern Star
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood & 1970 DeFever-Kettenburg 52' wood
We usually winter in LaPaz which has a very established expat boater community dating back to the 1960s. The advice you've been given above is perfect - especially "be kind and give it your best try". The effort is appreciated. Phone translators are invaluable but when off grid, which includes much of the Sea of Cortez, Spanish for Cruisers is a great resource.

Other tips for boating here: 1) boat costs, be they parts, service, or moorage, are close to California prices 2) winds in the Sea can be strong, unpredictable, and disruptive to boating plans 3) quality of work varies widely, and here, good Spanish helps 4) TIPs are a nightmare so make sure you have that squared away, and hire a local to help as needed. Good luck! Have fun!
https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cruis.../dp/0967590523
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStarDF50 View Post
We usually winter in LaPaz which has a very established expat boater community dating back to the 1960s. The advice you've been given above is perfect - especially "be kind and give it your best try". The effort is appreciated. Phone translators are invaluable but when off grid, which includes much of the Sea of Cortez, Spanish for Cruisers is a great resource.

Other tips for boating here: 1) boat costs, be they parts, service, or moorage, are close to California prices 2) winds in the Sea can be strong, unpredictable, and disruptive to boating plans 3) quality of work varies widely, and here, good Spanish helps 4) TIPs are a nightmare so make sure you have that squared away, and hire a local to help as needed. Good luck! Have fun!
https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cruis.../dp/0967590523
Thanks for this Seastar, very helpful tips.
We have visited La Paz by land and found what you describe.
The broker is going to help us with the TIP. The current owners have one which will need to be cancelled, as I hear it is a rats nest if that is not done. They will issue something called a Captains Letter which will allow the broker to cancel for them after closing when we get down to there so as to reestablish in our name as the previous is cancelled. We do need to be there in person as I understand it and that will be some time from now.
We have also noticed the wide variety of prices you can be quoted from the same guy for the same service. We will store on the hard during hurricane season at Guaymas and saw quotes on the haul ranging from 1500 down to 400 depending upon who was asking and how they balanced friendly and firm!
This will be interesting for sure, but we are looking forward to it!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
As has been said, it goes a long way if you TRY to speak Spanish. My rule of thumb is to try to engage in Spanish. It's no secret my accent is heavy, and my Spanish is crap. If they speak English better than you speak Spanish, they will immediately be the ones to politely shift the conversation to English.

We always find it better if they would prefer us to speak in English, than if we 'expect' them to speak 'English'. People are funny that way.

Also, if you force yourself, you will find it a good way to practice and they will give you tips. Be gracious and appreciative with being corrected.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #36
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Much (all?) of coastal Mexico is a tourist zone. There's an interesting career path in Mexico. Young people find their way to the US and work as dishwashers or other menial jobs in restaurants. They learn enough English that when they relocate to a coastal Mexican town, they are highly employable at tourist-oriented eateries with decent salaries.

Stay flexible and you will have no problems. If you need to visit a specialty store, it may not go as expected - paint (pintura) and hardware (ferreteria) stores rarely have English speakers so it can be a challenge.

With exception of aforementioned Pemex Station green-suit-grifers, I do not recall being short-changed by a merchant or cashier despite my obvious language disability and difficulty recognizing the coins (in all fairness, I have the same problem when traveling in the UK or Europe)

I find Mexico a very comfortable place to travel despite my language barrier. Drug crime and corruption are a problem but a different matter. I have been consistently surprised at how gracious Mexicans are to tourists.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
They learn enough Spanish that when they relocate to a coastal Mexican town, they are highly employable at tourist-oriented eateries with decent salaries.
You meant English?
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #38
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
They learn enough Spanish that when they relocate to a coastal Mexican town, they are highly employable at tourist-oriented eateries with decent salaries.
You meant English?
Thank you. Corrected
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:58 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Elgin
Vessel Name: M/V "Whittler's Dream"
Vessel Model: GB-42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
A W30 owner with his boat in SE Alaska purchased a W40 in San Carlos, quite a ways up the SoC. He planned on bringing it to Alaska but ended up leaving the boat in San Carlos. He spends winters in the Sea, summers in Alaska. He prefers Alaska, but not by much I suppose. That was 10-years ago.

He turned me on to this use-group. Low activity but great on-ground information on the Pacific side of Mexico/Central America

https://groups.io/g/southbound-group

Peter
I live in San Carlos, LOVE Willards, especially W40.
I am in La Paz now looking at my third Defever. Very interested if your friend might be willing to sell the W40.

Best regards, gracias por todo.

Darrin Jones MexicoEcoResort@gmail.com
Captain DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #40

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Klee,
I have had three different boats in the Sea of Cortez over the last 8 years. I just returned to the USA in August due to Covid closures and regulations down there (the islands were closed to tourists even though nobody lives on them, no anchoring allowed at the fishing villages). Anyway, you will LOVE it down there. Plan on spending at least a couple of years exploring down there. As mentioned, the people are gracious and generous, the food is amazing, and things are pretty cheap. A beer in a bar is usually about $1.25-50 usd.

I also speak very little spanish, but get by just fine down there. With the vaccinations coming along, and the fact that I have already had Covid once, I am planning tentatively on returning to La Paz in the fall of this year. I can hardly wait

Enjoy, and keep us posted on your progress. BTW, that is a beautiful new boat
!

Cheers, Bill