Old 09-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #101
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Andy
The boat looks great. Given your ambitious travel schedule, how have you been able to keep things shipshape and mechanically perfect?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #102
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Stunning photos.

When I see your awesome, shiny boat, I cant help but wonder how long it takes to wax all that gel coat? Do you do it yourself? I can barely wax my little boat myself.

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #103

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Hi Sunchaser,
I admit that previously (before Covid-19), trying to keep on top of the boat jobs was overwhelming at times. The reality is that she isn't always shipshape and mechanically perfect at all 😕. Our vessel has built-in redundancy in all major systems, so when one goes down, we have an alternate solution (and spares) at hand. When we get to Port, we spend a LOT of time bringing her back up to speed. It's actually become our "lifestyle" now (for the last 8 years). It's not all sunsets and paddleboards. BUT, as you have seen, we do get to enjoy the fruit along the way, and it makes it all worthwhile.

That said, since Covid has arrived, I have literally whittled a 127-point shitlist down to 6 jobs now, and INFINITY has never been in better shape. Some silver lining there on the utter shambles that Covid-19 has brought us.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #104

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Hi Cardude,
Julie and I wash, wax, and maintain every single inch of INFINITY ourselves. And it's a HUGE job. We are not getting any younger, and the jobs are not getting any easier. To cope, we have refined our procedures down to a science (time-&-motions man would be proud), and we break the jobs down into days now. For instance, to wash the boat, it takes three days.
Day 1: Pilot House and upper deck.
Day 2: Main deck.
Day 3: Aft deck and bustle

Waxing is done separately. We simply take one area, and spend a two-hour period doing just that area. Perhaps doing this twice a week, when in 'waxing-mode'.

Engine room stuff typically gets done as required, or as per my own maintenance schedule which I have developed in Excel.

It's not really easy, but it's doable. We have discussed down-sizing just this month actually, but we have fallen in love with INFINITY and feel she's part of us. Funny how emotional one can get when you discuss saying good-bye to your boat. I think my last sentiment about it was: over my dead body. 😜
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hi Cardude,
Julie and I wash, wax, and maintain every single inch of INFINITY ourselves. And it's a HUGE job. We are not getting any younger, and the jobs are not getting any easier. To cope, we have refined our procedures down to a science (time-&-motions man would be proud), and we break the jobs down into days now. For instance, to wash the boat, it takes three days.

Waxing is done separately. We simply take one area, and spend a two-hour period doing just that area. Perhaps doing this twice a week, when in 'waxing-mode'.

Engine room stuff typically gets done as required, or as per my own maintenance schedule which I have developed in Excel.

It's not really easy, but it's doable. We have discussed down-sizing just this month actually, but we have fallen in love with INFINITY and feel she's part of us. Funny how emotional one can get when you discuss saying good-bye to your boat. I think my last sentiment about it was: over my dead body. 😜
Wifey B: I would think you'd find downsizing very difficult. Have you considered others for cleaning work, either at marinas by locals or by taking a young crew member with you?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #106
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I would think you'd find downsizing very difficult. Have you considered others for cleaning work, either at marinas by locals or by taking a young crew member with you?
Male or female?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #107
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Male or female?
Wifey B: Doesn't matter to me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #108
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Doesn't matter to me.
Just so long as they clean and cook and and and?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #109
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hi Cardude,

It's not really easy, but it's doable. We have discussed down-sizing just this month actually, but we have fallen in love with INFINITY and feel she's part of us. Funny how emotional one can get when you discuss saying good-bye to your boat. I think my last sentiment about it was: over my dead body.

Damn. Yall are troopers. I guess if I lived on a boat like that Id try to do the same, but not sure I could actually pull it all off.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:40 AM   #110
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Hi Andrew,

I just spent a slow afternoon going through your photo's trying to work out where each was taken, was Norfolk Island in the frame? As for Infinity she is simply gorgeous, probably my favourite boat on TF.

Did you spend anytime in Pittwater(Sydney) on your way through to the Whitsundays? There was a very similar N62 anchored there about a year or so ago, off Coasters Retreat. I remember circling the Nordharven to get a good look, I think they thought we were going to board her, the skipper looked at us very thoughtfully, but with only one blonde 5'3" first mate on board i didn't like our chances.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #111
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Andrew,

I also really enjoyed your web site, There was a photo of Infinity anchored at Navandra in Fiji. Somewhere in our cruising photos I have the same shot of that perfect sand spit beach and I instantly knew exactly where it was taken!. I have moved a rock taken off that beach (in 1993) to the last four homes we have owned. It has a very distinctive green stripe through it. I think one of the reason that place is time stamped into our memory was we did an amazing dive in the bay which was followed by the the worst night at anchor as we and our guests rolled our guts out sleeping on the cabin sole until dawn.

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote