N62 infinity ∞

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both boats and couples are awesome. I must be such a sissy, complaining about the upkeep on my little 36. Still, if I had nothing more to do, maybe I'd tackle an N-62.

Watched the Video earlier this afternoon and was a pleasure to see Infinity on there VLOG.
And yes, the N62 is a lot of boat to clean. Before we left Portland a few weeks back the last 62 made was our dock mate. They were in Portland for some maintenance and a great detail. We met Steve, the owner of Susan J. And we're so impressed with the detail crew that I hired them to polish up Pairadice. Steve washed his own boat and it took him just over 2 days to wash Susan J. Took me that long to wash Pairadice, but I'm a bit slower and might have had a few more beers than Steve.
That 62 sure is a Salty looking boat and I've always loved them.

N62 INFINITY - Blog update - F I J I

Well, Trawler Forum Team - Hello again!

After 6 months of "where-does-the-time-go", I'm finally posting our latest listing to our website. The blog entry is: F I J I

I had fully intended to update our website sooner, but hey, life got in the way, you know how that goes. Julie and I are nestled in New Zealand now, working on our deferred maintenance list from the last 8-months cruising the South Pacific. Once the NZ winter is behind us, we're heading out for another bite of the South Pacific cherry! :) :thumb:

You made it!! Welcome back, stranger!

I'll be watching for the updates. I bet you've got some great stories to tell...

:popcorn:

Norway to Singapore

Hello Long-Range-Trawler aficionados,

Shortly, I will be delivering a new-build Diving Support Vessel, from Søvik, Norway, to the vessel’s home port of Singapore.
I’m thinking it’s going to be one of those ‘Lifetime’ experiences, so I will be making a daily post to our website, which can be accessed here. (http://n62infinity.com/shoreside/andys-work/offshore/)

While not Trawler Forum specific, it may prove interesting to some. I plan to keep each update to just a few lines, and perhaps a photo or screen-shot or two. See you in Singapore! (And for those who are wondering, Julie is keeping our Nordhavn 62 ship-shape back in NZ, ready for our trip North to New Caledonia, in the New Year.

Attachments

• 2017-11-11-small.png
    2017-11-11-small.png
    174 KB · Views: 715
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for bringing us along, Andy!

I look forward to following your journey. Don't forget an ER picture!!

EDIT: Nevermind...I just found this! That is a very cool ship!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's it Al !
This delivery is what has had my full attention for the last six months.
I'll get you that photo of the Engine Room. BTW, I actually did manage to take a video of INFINITY's ER last year, but have not posted it because I thought I could do a better job. Anyway, I'll dust it off, and if I think it's TF worthy, I'll upload it once we get to Singapore. :)

Hello Long-Range-Trawler aficionados,

Shortly, I will be delivering a new-build Diving Support Vessel, from Søvik, Norway, to the vessel’s home port of Singapore.
I’m thinking it’s going to be one of those ‘Lifetime’ experiences, so I will be making a daily post to our website, which can be accessed here. (http://n62infinity.com/shoreside/andys-work/offshore/)

Hi, definitely a cool and great experience to pass the big "Trawler" a long way. Maybe you get the excitement sometimes to visit your NH62 in Europe and Scandinavia.

Good trip to you:thumb::thumb::thumb:

NBs

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you beat all of us on the trawler size and equipment. I pretty sure you are the only one who will have an hospital aboard :)

L

Hi Lou,
Yes, we've got a Hospital. Have to, DNV Class requirements. I will take a photo for you guys. In fact, over the next 45 days, I'll upload photos of the Bridge, Engine room, and Hospital, and anything else you guys want to see. No issues. :) I'll be uploading them to our blog.

The bridge area is awesome! So cool.

What is the mapping ipad software Andy is using as shown on the screenshots?

L

Thanks for comments guys. If you have any area of the ship that you'd like to see, just let me know right here, and I'll hook you up.
Of course I'm going to get into the Engine Room one of these days.

Lou, I'm using iSailor, and I really like it. Although I have a very old Nobeltec system on INFINITY, and also a Furuno Navnet II system, I tend to use the iPad more & more. The Charts are made by Transas, which we use offshore, so that's how I got turned on to the whole thing in the first place. So far I'm giving it 95%. I would have happily upped that to 98% but I paid for an internet AIS service, and nothing on it so far. I mean nada. WE just went through the English Channel, so you'd think it would display some targets, right? Perhaps it's user error,,,,, (has been known) But, regardless, the iPad / iSailor set-up was a worthwhile addition to our boat. (which I borrowed for this trip)

Thanks for comments guys. If you have any area of the ship that you'd like to see, just let me know right here, and I'll hook you up.

Lou, I'm using iSailor, and I really like it. Although I have a very old Nobeltec system on INFINITY, and also a Furuno Navnet II system, I tend to use the iPad more & more. The Charts are made by Transas, which we use offshore, so that's how I got turned on to the whole thing in the first place. So far I'm giving it 95%. I would have happily upped that to 98% but I paid for an internet AIS service, and nothing on it so far. I mean nada. WE just went through the English Channel, so you'd think it would display some targets, right? Perhaps it's user error,,,,, (has been known) But, regardless, the iPad / iSailor set-up was a worthwhile addition to our boat. (which I borrowed for this trip)

Thank you for the information about iSailor. Yeah I think you should have seen some target in the English channel, I don’t think there is one day where you can be alone there :)

L

If you have internet then just use Marine Traffic. There are a few ships in the English Channel!
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-0.8/centery:51.2/zoom:7

Andy

I have enjoyed following your travels over the past few years. This next page you have undertaken will be great fun to follow.

Two questions:
  • Is the vessel fully laden or have you added temporary ballast?
  • What weather services will you use?
Safe travels

Hi Sunchaser,
The vessel has VSat Internet, so the Bridge is not using one particular site. Obviously, the buck stops with the Captain, so he makes the final decision, but each bridge officer tends to use what service (too many to list) they are comfortable with. These forecasts still do need interpretation, and certain guys like certain presentations. Our office also watches the weather through a paid commercial service, like FUGRO. At the end of the day, we're just making a B-Line for Singapore, and what comes, comes. All the forecast can do for us at this point, is tell us how sincere we need to be with our sea-fastening, but you asked a valid question. One which I asked myself!

Re; the ballast. We are nowhere near 'fully-laden' but we did take on full fuel, (about 290,589 gallons) in Alesund, Norway. We're burning about 4,000 gallons a day.
Anyway, we have an active ballast system which can take-on, and move around sea-water ballast to any ballast tank around the ship. We can increase or decrease draft at will, and often do so for heavy subsea lifts, while stationary, on DP.

Hi Sunchaser,

The vessel has VSat Internet, so the Bridge is not using one particular site. Obviously, the buck stops with the Captain, so he makes the final decision, but each bridge officer tends to use what service (too many to list) they are comfortable with. These forecasts still do need interpretation, and certain guys like certain presentations. Our office also watches the weather through a paid commercial service, like FUGRO. At the end of the day, we're just making a B-Line for Singapore, and what comes, comes. All the forecast can do for us at this point, is tell us how sincere we need to be with our sea-fastening, but you asked a valid question. One which I asked myself!

Re; the ballast. We are nowhere near 'fully-laden' but we did take on full fuel, (about 290,589 gallons) in Alesund, Norway. We're burning about 4,000 gallons a day.

Anyway, we have an active ballast system which can take-on, and move around sea-water ballast to any ballast tank around the ship. We can increase or decrease draft at will, and often do so for heavy subsea lifts, while stationary, on DP.

What’s your cruising speed actually?

L

Hi Lou,

We are averaging around 9.5 to 10 knots.
We have 5 engines onboard, but are only running with 2 at a time, and cycle which two are online, on a daily basis. By the time we get to Singapore, all the donkeys will be nicely run in. The vessel is designed to run at 14 knots continuous speed.

Hello Trawler Forum Team :)

Julie and I have been travelling on INFINITY again, and I've posted two new destinations to our website, for those interested. NZ & NC links below:

New Zealand

New Caledonia

Always a pleasure to check-in with you guys. :thumb:

Awesome article Andy & Julie, Keep it up!

Cheers

Keep up the posts and blog Andy. How are you grabbing weather updates and how accurate have they been in your more current travels? Aren't you in the middle of typhoon season?

All things being well, and the Cruising Gods choose to bless us, we shall be exploring the KIMBERLEYS, North Australia, this summer. :thumb:
Although I've been absent from posting on this thread for sometime, I have read every word up to this point and am in awe of your adventures and experience.

Since I just live down the road from Dana Point and am quite familiar with the Nordy models, I often wonder wether you & Julie often think about owning another different Nordhavn model, or any other ocean crossing boat, for that matter. From the standpoint of Looks. (salty)
huge forward deck, house way aft, etc., the 62 still remains my favorite! :oldman:

Back
Top Bottom