Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #201
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Marin,
Fairly fancy communication for a barge! You do travel a bit. AMJ
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #202
Scraping Paint

City: -
I would't consider a dhow a barge. They are actually very graceful and fairly fast vessels. They are the standard local trade vessel in the Gulf. The one in the photos is actually fairly small. The two mobile phone shots don't begin to do them justice. Most of the dhows in this harbor had radar and satellite domes. This one was unique in that it had two of them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #203
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I knew that! 8-)
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #204
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Well done MV Willy Nomad, you certainly lived up to your name.
Andy G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #205
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thank you all.

dhow's were the vessels w lanteen sails that could outrun the pirate ships as I recall. Sorry but I think you stepped in it Al re the dhow.

Never thought of that Andy but I accept.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #206
Scraping Paint

City: -
Here is a much better photo of a dhow as they appear today than my crappy little mobile photos. Diesel powered and capable of going quite fast if need be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3692683810.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	13981
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #207
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Now that looks quite racey even...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #208
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Now I'd like to see a thread of a somewhat similar trip on the east coast. Hope somebody's listening that likes to talk and has a camera.
Eric, we have warmer weather on average, softer beaches, beautiful sunsets/rises. BUT we don't have near as many breath taking photo ops, scenery-wise. We have LOTS more Wake-master (I liked that term, gonna hang on to it) and their requisite super considerate Cap'ns (think Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack).
We don't have (atleast in the southern 1/2) those evergreen topped outcroppings that you stare at knowing they've been there for all-time. Finding an untouched niche of society thats had the same population and family names for a hundred years is virtually unheard of anymore.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #209
Guru

Twisted,
I like and frequently seek remoteness but different geographical locations and the boaters and boats there are of even more interest to me. On the ferry I saw people that were excited and thrilled about Alaska. It's a very special place as are the people there and the magic never goes away but eventually one starts to settle out and use the Alaskan experience to relate self to normality. There is a normal and we know it as much as we know abnormality. Hot can't be hot w/o cold as a reference. Good pics are good pics but prettiness hasn't got the value of strange and the unknown. We reap joy and pleasure from beauty but expansion requires more information and the experience of relating to same is a much more meaningful experience than pretty pictures. So I'm asking for more than I gave. I'll come to the east coast next year or so I'm not to wallow in the isolation I now find myself but I still would like more pics and lore on the east coast.
Ron (rwidman) linked me a good starter blog and now I know a little bit about the rivers down there. Without the mountains it may be a little like being in the 2nd dimension but if one has never been to Jersey or Long Island Sound they are exotic places. Let the exotic begin.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #210
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Well that's all folks.

I had a good time reliving all the sights and emotions we experienced on the trip and sharing some made the trip much more worthwhile as fun and adventure along with some practical information emerging for cruisers. Sometimes a bit heavy on adventure but one runs that risk every time leaving the dock or even crossing the street for that matter. Whenever a boater heads north to these waters the amount of adventure and danger is an unknown. I did one trip that was almost a walk in the park. I've met thousands of people that say something like "I've always wanted to go to Alaska" but few actually do and for those in that category here (there may be many) I'm sure my thread was a good thing. And for those that actually will go north I'll bet I've given them a view of northern long distance boating in SE Alaska and primarily Northern BC Canada that will be of value planing and going on such a trip.
Thanks for following along w us and judging from the number of "views" many did. I've been here on TF for over 7 years and will probably be here another 7 and thus available for fact and opinion.

Cheers
Eric
& your post on 'Voyagers and other Boaters on the Go! > Windmills & wine' :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

Pilou,

You like pictures along w many on this thread. Mark's seen it all .. he was there on one of my threads where I posted 144 pics taken on a trip mostly in BC Canada. It's kind of a log book w pictures.
IR has created a wonderful thread here. I love this area and would love to go there. Now more so because of these great pics.
To get to the thread go to page 8 on Voyagers and other boaters on the go. You can pick it up quickly by looking at the # of replies ... 208. My username then was Manyboats.

Hi Eric
I read last night the first half of your thread, I have just finished reading the last half.
I will write to you further by PM, first at all I would like to express my admiration for your work, to thank you for your time and effort in writing, explaining, posting beautiful pictures.

I was very moved by your post #183. It sums up perfectly well the great generosity and selflessness you have shown in sharing here your boating experience throughout your amazing journey.

Thank you a lot for your great work.

Pilou
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #211
Guru

Thank you Pilou and all,
There is the mirror image version of this thread. It's "A Long Way Home" written from the boat's log going north. It's a text version of "II". And took place 7 years before "II". No pics though.
Until someone posts on it it's on page 11 of the Voyagers on the go ...

North Western Washington State USA
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #212
Guru

City: .
Eric,
When and where will be your next journey ? My friends and I all are looking forward to read about your new adventure.
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, album, british columbia, cruise, inside passage, photo, trip, washington