Leaving Key West for Knoxville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
If you were wondering how we get along so well on a boat for long periods of time.

Tennessee River travel - Wilson Lock schedule

I'm sure that you have been informed of the Wilson lock maintenance schedule through May 8th. No lockage 6:00 hrs until 16:30 hrs daily and may include weekends. I got caught in the daytime shut down last Friday for 6 hrs. The only official notice of closure schedule that I could find, after the fact, was posted on Face Book. Navigation Notice 17-15. I could not find any reference on the Nashville District USACE web site. :banghead: It may be hidden somewhere but I could not find it, even with the notice number. Florence Marina did not know of lockage hrs and found it on Water Way Guide. I did luck out on my return trip through Wilson Sunday when I called on the phone and found out they were running normal lockage on Easter. I had planned to spend Easter in Florence but did not want to take the chance with any commercial traffic backup trying to get through early Monday morning. The lock master told me that if you cannot clear the chamber by 6:00 hrs, you will need to wait until 16:30.

Good luck with your lockage!! :confused:

I'm sure that you have been informed of the Wilson lock maintenance schedule through May 8th. No lockage 6:00 hrs until 16:30 hrs daily and may include weekends. I got caught in the daytime shut down last Friday for 6 hrs. The only official notice of closure schedule that I could find, after the fact, was posted on Face Book. Navigation Notice 17-15. I could not find any reference on the Nashville District USACE web site. :banghead: It may be hidden somewhere but I could not find it, even with the notice number. Florence Marina did not know of lockage hrs and found it on Water Way Guide. I did luck out on my return trip through Wilson Sunday when I called on the phone and found out they were running normal lockage on Easter. I had planned to spend Easter in Florence but did not want to take the chance with any commercial traffic backup trying to get through early Monday morning. The lock master told me that if you cannot clear the chamber by 6:00 hrs, you will need to wait until 16:30.

Good luck with your lockage!! :confused:

The full ten hour delay was only supposed to run a few days, then intermittent delays, but I have no idea what will actually happen. Some sources have said it will continue this way for two months. Best to speak to the lockmaster in advance. You're right about it being very poorly publicized. We intend to be there in May.

... The only official notice of closure schedule that I could find, after the fact, was posted on Face Book. Navigation Notice 17-15...
So David, crew transfixed on Facebook 24/7 can be useful.:)
Great pics, thanks.

today it is shut down til 4. don't ask how I know! at least I'm first in line...

David did you leave a memory at Florence firing the sunset cannon ?

Image1493034788.292026.jpg
Image1493034820.327077.jpg

This I'd the Wilson lock. It's one of the deepest locks and has a different door system. If you notice instead of opening it lowers.

We just found out that the Chickamauga lock is closed for at least a couple of days. Also the coast guard has closed the gorge just west of Chattanooga. It's the mini Grand Canyon it get narrow and is very swift when we have flood waters. So we'll be waiting here at goose pond.

David, I've been following your progress. Florence is pretty close. Chattanooga in probably 2-3 days. Bummer. I will be out of town to attend a grandson's graduation in Florida. I was planning to take you over to Portofinos for dinner. Maybe next time. It sounds like you had a great trip.

We are in goose pond. Looks like the gorge will be closed for a couple days at least. You'll have to come and see us in tellico lake.

It's amazing as one goes from thread to thread the different conditions encountered. Flooding in TN and low water levels in Okeechobee. Wildfires in FL. Last year it was drought in California followed by floods. It's just a reminder to always be aware of the latest conditions and understand all plans are subject to change. Meanwhile, hope you enjoy your extra days at Goose Pond.

Stuck in traffic driving through Chattanooga . Decided to rent a car and go home for the week. Let the water settle.

Stuck in traffic driving through Chattanooga . Decided to rent a car and go home for the week. Let the water settle.
good call, I'm on Nemo and left Hales Bar this morning with the intention of evaluating currents. Read your post about 10 miles in and decided to punch through. Finally secure in Choo Choo and gonna drag feet when Chickamauga opens!

good call, I'm on Nemo and left Hales Bar this morning with the intention of evaluating currents. Read your post about 10 miles in and decided to punch through. Finally secure in Choo Choo and gonna drag feet when Chickamauga opens!

You're almost home.

big learning day about my girl, think I'm in love...

big learning day about my girl, think I'm in love...

Have we met. I remember a Nemo but can't put a face on you.

So did you go threw the gorge with strong currents and if so how was it. I can't imagine it giving me a problem with my boat. Other then docking I should bring able to keep control. And how about the debris

10 minutes on the Tenn-Tom, you were going to wait on me for the next lock, I laughed as I was at 6 knots! Yeah, went threw today, had to run inside til I hit the huge current, then ferry kayak style to the softer current. Main current was faster than my hull speed so it was "tedious". Debris was abundant but skirting the trails seemed to be a clean line. After today no more plastic water bottles, that was sad!

10 minutes on the Tenn-Tom, you were going to wait on me for the next lock, I laughed as I was at 6 knots! Yeah, went threw today, had to run inside til I hit the huge current, then ferry kayak style to the softer current. Main current was faster than my hull speed so it was "tedious". Debris was abundant but skirting the trails seemed to be a clean line. After today no more plastic water bottles, that was sad!

Ok I remember passing along the way. I guess if the rain isn't to bad Thursday I may be able to head out again on Friday. I'm a little worried about the debris. Safe travels.

it's a different river today, watching the level drop noticeably, chick may open tomorrow but it's too nice to leave. with levels dropping hard I think most debris should be flushed by Thurs

IMG_1077.JPG
Goose pond is a great place to be stranded. Very friendly staff and locals. The fuel is as cheap as you can get it in this neck of the woods. I'll get some drone footage when I go back.

it's a different river today, watching the level drop noticeably, chick may open tomorrow but it's too nice to leave. with levels dropping hard I think most debris should be flushed by Thurs

Thanks for the update. It's nice to have a report from the front lines.

We are in goose pond. Looks like the gorge will be closed for a couple days at least. You'll have to come and see us in tellico lake.

It's a deal. How about Calhoun's for ribs?

Back
Top Bottom