Key West to Shark River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I'm trying to figure out the best way back from Key West to Fort Myers for my crew. Our trip down here was pretty rough and rolly down the Hawk Channel, so I was thinking the Keys might give us some relief from the roll on the way back?

Here is the proposed route and the forecasted winds:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434541404.696401.jpg

Or would it be better staying closer to the Keys and then turning North, like this? Adds about 5 miles.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434541644.051411.jpg

Here are the wind forecasts. Trying to avoid a beam sea.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434541694.400881.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434541706.017773.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434541718.454434.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434541853.878360.jpg
Forgot the last wind forecast.

Anything more than 5-10 miles from land wont give much protection from wind driven waves.....

Look for info about, possibly on NWS marine broadcasts, swell patterns in that part of the gulf. The swells could add significantly to the discomfort.

Cant see the days..but swells may be around for awhile due to the storm over to the west.

Yeah. It's the beam swell that makes it less fun.

Here is a swell forecast for Florida Bay. Not sure if this "Swell Info" is a good site to use
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434542807.538034.jpg

looks like wind driven...

here is a cut from my local NWS marine forecast...

ANZ452-453-172015-
COASTAL WATERS FROM LITTLE EGG INLET TO GREAT EGG INLET NJ OUT
20 NM-
COASTAL WATERS FROM GREAT EGG INLET TO CAPE MAY NJ OUT 20 NM-
[SIZE=+1] 405 AM EDT WED JUN 17 2015[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1] TODAY[/SIZE]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 2 TO
3 FT. MAINLY IN SE SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 11 SECONDS.

[SIZE=+1] TONIGHT[/SIZE]
SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO
4 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 11 SECONDS. A
CHANCE OF SHOWERS LATE. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM LATE.

[SIZE=+1] THU[/SIZE]
SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 3 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL
WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 10 SECONDS
. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. VSBY
1 TO 3 NM.

A swell of 3 feet but 10 seconds is almost hardly noticeable for a boat like mine or yours. 3 foot wind waves on the beam would be uncomfy.

A 3 foot swell with 5 second period is almost approaching the characteristics of a wind wave but again on the beam would be uncomfy.

You will just have to keep a written or mental note how your boat does and remember what works for you.

You shouldn't have any ocean swell, just wind driven waves.

based on those reports? or just in general?

with a storm in the gulf....I would think there could be swells for a couple days....I see some of the Gulf reports aren't reporting swells...A gulf specialty?

Last edited:
The Gulf stream kinda puts you on a beam sea regardless, with the wind determining height. Plan B looks good to me. Just my .02 cents

current_gulf_1.png

based on those reports? or just in general?

with a storm in the gulf....I would think there could be swells for a couple days....I see some of the Gulf reports aren't reporting swells...A gulf specialty?

The ocean swells are from the E to ESE all week along the Keys. The islands along Route 1 from the Mainland to Key West pretty much knocks it down and cuts the size and period in half.

Buoyweathers report. I ordered a forecast from the west and another east of the Keys. This is the edited version for tomorrow the 18th.

Marine Forecast for 25º N / 81.25º W
Winds: E 9 to 15 knots
Seas: ESE 1 feet at 2 seconds

Marine Forecast for 24.75º N / 80.75º W
Winds: ESE 11 to 16 knots
Seas: ESE 2 feet at 4 seconds

Take the ICW to Stuart and then the Okeechobee Waterway to Ft Myers. The only "open" (still protected but open) water you should encounter will be Hawks Channel to Marathon and the Southern portion of Biscayne Bay. Except those portions the rest of the trip will be very protected.

I would have thought your run to Key West from Marathon would have had the seas on the aft quarter?

:ermm:

Why are you posting NJ weather forecast for a guy in Florida?
looks like wind driven...

here is a cut from my local NWS marine forecast...

ANZ452-453-172015-
COASTAL WATERS FROM LITTLE EGG INLET TO GREAT EGG INLET NJ OUT
20 NM-
COASTAL WATERS FROM GREAT EGG INLET TO CAPE MAY NJ OUT 20 NM-
[SIZE=+1] 405 AM EDT WED JUN 17 2015[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1] TODAY[/SIZE]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 2 TO
3 FT. MAINLY IN SE SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 11 SECONDS.

[SIZE=+1] TONIGHT[/SIZE]
SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO
4 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 11 SECONDS. A
CHANCE OF SHOWERS LATE. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM LATE.

[SIZE=+1] THU[/SIZE]
SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 3 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL
WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 10 SECONDS
. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. VSBY
1 TO 3 NM.

A swell of 3 feet but 10 seconds is almost hardly noticeable for a boat like mine or yours. 3 foot wind waves on the beam would be uncomfy.

A 3 foot swell with 5 second period is almost approaching the characteristics of a wind wave but again on the beam would be uncomfy.

You will just have to keep a written or mental note how your boat does and remember what works for you.

The ocean swells are from the E to ESE all week along the Keys. The islands along Route 1 from the Mainland to Key West pretty much knocks it down and cuts the size and period in half.

Buoyweathers report. I ordered a forecast from the west and another east of the Keys. This is the edited version for tomorrow the 18th.

Marine Forecast for 25º N / 81.25º W
Winds: E 9 to 15 knots
Seas: ESE 1 feet at 2 seconds

Marine Forecast for 24.75º N / 80.75º W
Winds: ESE 11 to 16 knots
Seas: ESE 2 feet at 4 seconds

I like the 1 foot W side chop better.

I do need to start taking notes of the size and direction of the swell that is uncomfortable. I don't think we have had anything over 3-4 feet so far this trip, but it has been short period swell. We hobby-horsed along for about 5 hours into some steepish waves right when we entered the Gulf at Sanibel, and the wife commented that she didn't like it-- taking spray over the bow, bouncing around. And pretty much anything with any size on the beam she starts looking at me with the "what they hell are you doing?" look. We did have some things flying off the shelves at one point.

I have a video but can't figure out how to post. It was probably not that bad-- we are likely just weenies.

suggest you try playing with speed a bit in the rougher conditions. For us when it gets rough we found a faster speed makes a big difference. Might be worth playing with and see.

Here is a video of some of our rolling.

In the Hawk channel the other day I did speed up to 8 knots and that seemed to help out some.

I like the 1 foot W side chop better...

Remember that weather forecasts are average conditions.

Here is a disclaimer that the Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology posts. I think it probably applies to most forecasts no matter where you are.

Please be aware wind gusts can be a further 40 per cent stronger than the average and maximum waves may be up to twice the height of forecast (average) wave heights.

Can't get the video to post.

Last edited:
As you know, most of the Gulf's coastal waters are shallow so any kind of breeze makes for a "washing machine" like chop that is very uncomfortable. Sad, because it is sooo nice when conditions are right. If you have to get out in it, secure everything, stuff flying around adds to the stress, find her a low, comfortable spot. If you can wait for a good weather window think about that too.
Wishing you calm seas!

As you know, most of the Gulf's coastal waters are shallow so any kind of breeze makes for a "washing machine" like chop that is very uncomfortable. Sad, because it is sooo nice when conditions are right. If you have to get out in it, secure everything, stuff flying around adds to the stress, find her a low, comfortable spot. If you can wait for a good weather window think about that too.

Wishing you calm seas!

I'm not impressing her at this point. I do need a nice calm day. She loved the ICW cruising!

Also, note the interval of the seas. A 2 second chop can be brutal according to the direction. The longer the duration, the smoother the ride. Me, I like a 9 second swell.

If you have time catch the middle of a high pressure and ride smooth seas all the way back to Ft. Myers. Unfortunately, wind is a factor in the Keys and Bahamas.

Lake Okeechobee can build a very nasty chop that can be more mud than water.

http://vid33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/loverpickle/IMG_0139_zps5j7yrprm.mp4

In the Hawk Channel from Marathon to Key West we measured 10-12 degree rolls every once and awhile using the iPhone app. I have no idea if that's a bad roll or not. Didn't seem violent as long as all the "stuff" was secured. Kind of smooth actually.

10 is where I like to avoid more and if they are regular...every once and awhile you are gonna get bigger, table and counter clearers....30 is where even tied down stuff starts to shift and can become an issue if protracted.

10 isn't comfy...but for a day or 2 of 6-10 hrs...sometimes is a must to get places if you are on a schedule.

Never let that schedule keep you going if the chances the weather is worsening past what is already making you uncomfy.

As above take the inside route to Stewart then across the state. A lot more sheltered and lots to see for the passengers.

Seriously, it could be a matter of your wife turning off on boating altogether maybe let her take the ferry or fly to Ft Myers. You bring the boat back solo or organize a crew member son or other. You get to Ft Myers and she joins you for the rest of the cruise on the ICW.

Seriously, it could be a matter of your wife turning off on boating altogether maybe let her take the ferry or fly to Ft Myers. You bring the boat back solo or organize a crew member son or other. You get to Ft Myers and she joins you for the rest of the cruise on the ICW.

That's what I'm considering. I don't want my inexperience to ruin it for her.

I was thinking about renting a car to get them back to Longboat Key. Didn't think about that ferry. Does it land at Marco?

Never let that schedule keep you going if the chances the weather is worsening past what is already making you uncomfy.

Agree. Fly, drive (rental car), or ferry the crew to Ft. Myers, and wait for your own preferred weather window at your leisure.

-Chris

This is really a pretty good idea. If you want to continue boating with your wife you do not want to turn her off. The ferry is a 3 hour trip.

If she really likes the calm water then she' s going to love the Caloosahatchee River part of the Okeechobee Waterway when you get around to it.

:socool:

All four of us have been on the boat for 10 days and it's getting a little chippy. I'm realizing my schedule was a little too aggressive for the maiden voyage with the entire family.

I have my Suburban sitting in LB Key, so I think I will rent them a car here in the Keys and they can turn it in there, pick up the Suburban, and head back to Texas.

I will continue back solo.

Probably should just leave the boat in the Keys all year...ya know...so the rest of us can use it too...:D

Seriously...looks uncomfy with 2-4 on the beam...certainly not dangerous but I would hate the first day till I go close to hugging the coast.

GMZ033-034-172030-
GULF WATERS FROM EAST CAPE SABLE TO CHOKOLOSKEE 20 TO 60 NM OUT
AND BEYOND 5 FATHOMS-
GULF OF MEXICO INCLUDING DRY TORTUGAS AND REBECCA SHOAL CHANNEL-
[SIZE=+1] 1032 AM EDT WED JUN 17 2015[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1] THIS AFTERNOON[/SIZE]
MOSTLY EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3
FEET. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1] TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY[/SIZE]
EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS.
SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1] FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS
2 TO 3 FEET. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

$$

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom