Kennebec River to Hallowell, ME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Mischief Managed II
Vessel Make
1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
I just found one of my next destinations in ME. I've been to Bath a couple of times on the Kennebec and the Sasanoa Rivers, but never north of Bath. That's gonna change this Summer. The trip looks like it would be quite similar to sections of the Erie Canal.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Mischef,

A fun idea. We have been up to Gardiner with our Camper Nicholson 39 ketch but had to stop because of the bridge. This year we have traded to power and have a Krogen 42 so we will go all the way to Augusta which is the end of navigation. The Kennebec is a beautiful trip and bringing a cruising boat up the river turns some heads. People notice boats that big in the river.

The Maine Maritime Museum has moorings for rent in Bath and they have nice boater facilities. Bath is a nice town to visit. Farther up the river enjoy Merrymeeting Bay but watch were you are because it is shallow. Farther up river, stop in Richmond and visit Swan Island and spend a night at the town landing. Visit the Old Goat pub and Kimberly's restaurant and the Bakery. Then continue under the new bridge up to Gardiner and Hallowell. Lots of pubs and restaurants and shops in these towns and dockage at the town landings there. Then to Augusta where there is a float on the west side of the river, right behind Cushnoc Brewing which has great beer and pizza. You do need to pay attention to the channel from Richmond north as it bends and turns and has some shallows.

We have cruised up the rivers of Maine as far as you can go and the St. John as well as the Great Loop. We are planning for the Downeast Loop for next year. Maybe we will see you in the Kennebec.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips. I spent hours last night on google earth, Navionics and Active Captain stumbling upon many of the things you recommended, glad to get confirmation that they are worth visiting. I don't know why, but I just love taking my boat places where boats like mine are uncommon. We just barely fit under countless bridges on the west half of the Erie Canal last year and turned a lot of heads in the towns we passed through. Was great fun.

Hope you have a great time on the Downeast Loop, that's in our plans as well, not sure when though. I do plan to learn some conversational French first though, I've spent time in Rural Quebec, French parts of rural Ontario, and a lot of France; and I really regretted not speaking the language. I think French would be very useful around the Gaspe Peninsula. Speaking of the Downeast Loop, Hanging a left on the Richelieu or going straight to 1000 Islands has got to be a tough call. Both routes to NYC are really special...

I've been up the Kennebec a number of times and it's a very nice trip. I go over the bridge in Richmond almost every day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom