Old 12-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Rodger, called and they 'may' have a slip but only two transient slips apparently. The Municipal shows 2 feet at low tide. We will call again when close.

We anchored out the first 5 nights but the constant wind finally drove me to distraction. We walked the docks and made a 'private' deal at East Pass marina, slip 29. Speak with Robbie who captains the only cat in the marina. $75.00 a day with both water and 30/50 electric.
The Municipal is not the place to go. Apalachicola Marina, The City Wharf, the face dock, Scipio and Water Street all have plenty of depth. Apalachicola Marina has about 12' and even the last in that group, Scipio has 8'.

Places to go and things to do:

The Maritime Museum
Raney House
Orman House
Wildlife Refuge
Gorrie Museum

But there is better. The small stores and gift shops. Then the best, the art.

Go to Apalachicolabay.org

There are at least 4 art galleries. Tons of local artists.

I think everyone in town has a restaurant.

There is even a spa in town, Riverfront Therapy or Spirit of the River. And do not miss The Old Time Soda Fountain.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #82
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Apalachicola, I saw one of the best signs ever there and the old city cemetery is interesting, if like me you enjoy that sort of thing.
Bon voyage
Attached Thumbnails
Tounge weighs little.jpg  
Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Thanks for that BandB, may be there several days lol....

Steve, never a truer word!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Apalachicola, I saw one of the best signs ever there and the old city cemetery is interesting, if like me you enjoy that sort of thing.
Bon voyage
Wifey B: What is it with people and cemeteries? I find dead people boring. Guess if you want peace and quiet they're ok.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #85
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Agree, Municipal is not where to go. Depths are not good and had to time my exit when I did stop there. Sat on the bottom most of the time. All the others that Bandb mentioned work. Also I think you can anchor across from the inlet to the Scipio creek but I have never done it. Maybe someone else can provide experience info on anchoring there.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #86
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Apalachicola is the birth place of one of the things that I give thanks for everyday. Dr. John Gorrie developed refrigeration and thereby ice. They have a museum in his old house.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #87
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Thanks guys, inside it is. I am looking on AC but not seeing much on Apalachicola. Is there a marina or anchorage close enough to bike to town?
We usually run the outside from Destin to Panama City and then the ICW from PC to Apalachicola. That is a very pretty part of the ICW and about the only part of the ICW I truly enjoy.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for that BandB, may be there several days lol....

Steve, never a truer word!
We fell in love with the local community of artists. Also, many of them do the type of paintings that we really like and, as it turns out, our customers do as well. Also, antiques, crafts, jewelry. The Bowery has work from 57 artists. On the Waterfront is very nice. Amy of Amy's Green Door, her original works a bit too modern art for us.

We couldn't walk around Apalachicola without seeing a place we wanted to stop in at least once a block it seemed.

Hole in the Wall and Up the Creek were two of our favorite restaurants.

Oh, if you want some seafood to cook yourself, go to Buddy Ward's 13 Mile Seafood. They have five shrimp boats and buy fish from local fishermen plus have their own oyster beds. 90% of all Florida oysters come from Apalachicola Bay. They won the Forgotten Coast Best Seafood Market.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
We usually run the outside from Destin to Panama City and then the ICW from PC to Apalachicola. That is a very pretty part of the ICW and about the only part of the ICW I truly enjoy.
I really do think that the ICW run from Port St. Joe to Apalachicola is the prettiest that I have seen anywhere on either the Gulf ICW or the Atlantic ICW. The Great Dismal Swamp run would be #2, IMO. The Georgia marshes are awesome, but not as pretty. A neat little side trip, which few take, is to go north up the Apalachicola River for a ways, up toward Interstate 10. The Apalachicola runs essentially north and south, and after the ICW, which runs more or less east and west, runs into it, one can go either south, to the town of Apalachicola, or north. North is only if you have plenty of time to just fool around, though
Old 12-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #90
Veteran Member

City: panama city
Smile Appalachicola Marina

Try Scipio Creek Marina, great folks and close to town.
calimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimari View Post
Try Scipio Creek Marina, great folks and close to town.
We've only docked at Apalachicola Marina and at the face dock they also manage, but we've walked to Scipio and it's a very nice marina as well. They have a dry storage unit as well. As you said, the people working there were very friendly and insisted on showing us all around.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

I am going to quit asking you guys or I will never make the Keys for Christmas

So, we will leave Monday which will still be lumpy offshore and just do the ICW all the way. We will anchor out in Panama City and do the marina thing in Apalachicola. That gives me three days to learn how to pronounce it lol.

Thanks for all the great tips!!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
. We will anchor out in Panama City and do the marina thing in Apalachicola. That gives me three days to learn how to pronounce it
App (sounds like slap) uh lach (sounds like latch) e (sounds like key) cola (as in coca cola). App-uh-latch-e-cola. You will sound like a local.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
So, we will leave Monday which will still be lumpy offshore and just do the ICW all the way. We will anchor out in Panama City and do the marina thing in Apalachicola. That gives me three days to learn how to pronounce it lol.

Thanks for all the great tips!!
I gave you a complete song to help you learn how to pronounce it. With Bob Hope and Bing Crosby singing it. And they say it over and over and over.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
I am going to quit asking you guys or I will never make the Keys for Christmas

So, we will leave Monday which will still be lumpy offshore and just do the ICW all the way. !
You might recheck on Monday. It looks like improvement Monday, more Tuesday (3-5') but then lessening to 2' late Tuesday and into the rest of the week. I don't know how much your time difference is on the routes for your boat, but you might not get there much sooner on the ICW than waiting. I've never taken the ICW through that section so maybe others who have can give you better knowledge of what it's like. I've never been there with a boat with shallow enough draft for me to be comfortable, but I suspect your Bayliner is relatively small draft. I've always been 5' or more.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #96

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Blue
Just go straight SE and after you get out about a 100 miles it'll be smooth as silk
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #97

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Happy B-DAY BLUE!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so now I can pronounce Apalachicola, as long as it hasn't changed in 50 years LOL.
The first fishing boats are back in saying 2-3 ft 3 miles out sooooo, we are back to running offshore to Panama and then the ICW to Apalachicola. This puts us at Dog Island Wednesday night if we only do overnight stops. Thursday looks great but Friday it all goes downhill again. Rather than rush, I think we will stay over at Apalachicola until the following Wednesday which is when the weather breaks again.

Doug, thanks for the detailed crossing advice

Thanks Kevin!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Ok, so now I can pronounce Apalachicola, as long as it hasn't changed in 50 years LOL.
The first fishing boats are back in saying 2-3 ft 3 miles out sooooo, we are back to running offshore to Panama and then the ICW to Apalachicola. This puts us at Dog Island Wednesday night if we only do overnight stops. Thursday looks great but Friday it all goes downhill again. Rather than rush, I think we will stay over at Apalachicola until the following Wednesday which is when the weather breaks again.

Doug, thanks for the detailed crossing advice

Thanks Kevin!
As far away as Friday is, it could be 1' or 10' by then. This is that time of year that beyond two or three days is very suspect. We wanted to go to the Dry Tortugas from Clearwater and we were still deciding on the way there whether to go or head elsewhere. We have a friend transporting a boat from Baltimore to Key West and every day has been a last minute decision on inside vs. out. Fortunately it's been rainy and not many other boats out so he's covered 160+ nm even on an inside day.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #100
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Here is a weather site you might want to take a look at: Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)

On the "MWX pro control Panel" under the first map click on the "Sea Height" Icon, you will get a Gulf of Mexico moving weather pattern you can pause.

I have used it quite a bit and found the predictions usually good.