Old 08-31-2015, 03:07 AM   #61
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My one experience. It takes quite a while, the post shows on TF and says the vid is processing. But I don`t see a post from you showing that, so perhaps you have a different problem. Someone techy is sure to respond. Meanwhile, I like the stills.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #62

City: Portumna
Video clip - Snow Mouse and Cool Runnings - Limerick - Kilrush

Hi Geoff,

Glad to hear that you had a smooth passage to Weymouth yesterday.

I have added a 34 sec video clip (50Mb) of passage from Limerick to Kilrush which hopefully will eventually display correctly in this post!

Best to all.

Paul,
MY Arthur
Attached Files
PaulScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #63

City: Portumna
Hi Geoff,

Short clip of boats departing Kilrush bound for Fenit.

Hope that you solved your problem re uploading video.

Paul
Attached Files
PaulScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #64
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi Bruce and Paul, Paul, Thanks for the 2 short clips, I'll keep working at it until I beat it. best regards to yourself and the lovely Mary. We've bought data sims for Internet but they sadly lack the sellers promises. As we only need it for a few months it's not worth the trouble.
In Weymouth now, super place, great Internet in the port so will catch up on all IT and posts.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #65

City: Belturbet
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: Haines
Great Photos Geoff,
Safe onward journey
Brenda & Cathal
Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #66

just read this post from start to present, very good , we are considering a similar trip from Norfolk down then the French canals so cant wait for the rest , safe sailing Expat
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #67
Guru

Welcome aboard Brenda & Cathal, As Chairman of our IWAI branch, very ably assisted by Brenda. Thank you for all the hard work you do for the Inland Waterways of Ireland and in particular our Belturbet branch, a warm welcome also to Expat, if you have any questions for your preparation please feel free to ask.
Glad you all enjoy the posts, our journey continues this year until we reach Dunkirk, our winter 'hivernage' moorings, then we return to Narbonne for the winter (it's warmer in the South of France) to our other boat which we'll be giving some TLC, servicing it etc.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #68
Guru

This is the first port on our journey where we've been able to stay for a few days without worrying about the weather and we couldn't stay in a nicer place with it's friendly efficient harbour staff in a deep water port right in the middle of town. On the way in we had to pass through the Portland race, thankfully with good timing it was calm but look at the chop and the line of smooth water beyond, photo, we were doing 8 knots though the water and 3 over the ground as we rounded the lighthouse.

On our port side is the naval base in Portland harbour, it was here during the war that the Mulberry harbours were built, towed across to Arromanches, sunk in place and joined together with metal linkspan roadways to form an artificial port for the all important supplies for the 'D' day landings.
My first association with Weymouth began over 50 yrs ago when I was a young soldier and we used to 'thumb it' here to catch a ferry to the Channel Islands to go tomato picking to earn a few shillings and meet some nice girls.
One night I arrived here in Weymouth in torrential rain and a kindly policeman directed me to the Salvation Army and got me a hot drink and a bit of dry carpet to lay my head, I never forgot that kindness and I'm happy to say that the people of Weymouth are just as nice today as they were then.
In the 1600's during the English civil war, a cannonball hit a wall and got stuck in the stone wall, photo.
During Queen Victoria's reign it became, and still is a popular seaside resort, photo,
the fine golden sands here with donkey rides, sand sculptures and crazy golf and fun rides for the families to enjoy, photo's.
Nearby here is the Tank museum at Bovington and being ex services I just had to go, what a cracking day out ! we really needed 2 days to see all the 'Boys Toys'.
The photo's are just a tiny selection with English, American, French, Russian, Swedish and German tanks and other assorted vehicles.
The engine photo is a Rolls Royce designed K60 6 cylinder 2 stroke opposed piston multi fuel engine, during my army career I was seconded to Rolls Royce diesels for a while proud to say I was involved in the testing and modifications of this engine.
Did you know that the concept of a crude wooden tank was first sketched by Leonardo Da Vinci ?
Did you know that Hannibal used his elephants like tanks ?
Did you know that Sir Winston Churchill whilst in the Royal Navy during the 14-18 war called for a 'Landship' to crush enemy opposition troops in trenches ?
The name was later changed to the codename 'Tank' in case the Germans discovered the term Landship ?
I can heartily recommend Weymouth as a 'must do' port of call, you won't be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0788.jpg   DSCN0790.jpg   DSCN0792.jpg   DSCN0802.jpg   DSCN0805.jpg  

DSCN0806.jpg   DSCN0808.jpg   DSCN0810.jpg   DSCN0811.jpg   DSCN0817.jpg  

Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #69
Guru

Did you know that 'Lawrence of Arabia' T.E Lawrence joined the tank corps for a while and he was a familiar sight on his Brough motorcycle. he later Joined the Royal air Force as Aircraftman TE Shaw.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0815.jpg   DSCN0820.jpg   DSCN0827.jpg   DSCN0829.jpg   DSCN0834.jpg  

DSCN0837.jpg   DSCN0844.jpg   DSCN0833.jpg   DSCN0866.jpg   DSCN0843.jpg  

Old 09-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #70
Guru

Just a few more.
Did you know that the first track laying vehicle was built by the Holt tractor company in America ? Unfortunately the tracks kept coming off and it wasn't practical, the modern day design is by an Englishman Mr Wilson who ran an agricultural repair business in Lincolnshire. the name Caterpillar was an English term for a track laying vehicle and was plagiarised by those guys with American big yellow machines.
The other photo is of the first propeller driven torpedo, also invented by an Englishman.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0856.jpg   DSCN0864.jpg   DSCN0846.jpg   DSCN0867.jpg   DSCN0876.jpg  

DSCN0877.jpg   DSCN0879.jpg   DSCN0881.jpg   DSCN0882.jpg   DSCN0884.jpg  

Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #71
Guru

Finally, the last few photo's of Weymouth.
As you can see the English people still like to take their afternoon tea.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0888.jpg   DSCN0889.jpg   DSCN0890.jpg   DSCN0891.jpg   DSCN0886.jpg  

Old 09-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #72

City: Port Laoise
Long time since we have heard from you Geoff.
Hope all is going well and that you are well tucked up today as Tropical Storm Henri heads your way.
Love the photos and the narrative.
Give our best regards to "her indoors" and also to P & G

Wishing you all safe passage
Michael
Michael B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #73
Guru

Hello Michael, great to hear from you, I hope your getting the hang of this retirement thing. p.s I can give you a bunch of maps if you want to follow on.
After Weymouth we've been plagued by the lack of, or very inferior Wi-Fi to update our posts, incidentally the tank engine photo is of a Rolls Royce K60 opposed piston two stroke multi fuel engine that I worked on in R&D at Rolls, brings back a lot of memories, now you know why my Perkins is a multi fueller.
We left Weymouth and moved up to Torquay, another cracker of a place to visit, Lymington was next on the cards, followed by Southampton for the Boat show and were now in Gosport (over the river from Portsmouth) to see Horatio Nelsons flagship, the Victory. Diving museum, Submarine museum, Explosive exhibition etc.
I'll upload photo's of each place with a short description when I get a stronger Wi-Fi connexion, we've only 4 actual cruising days before we cross the channel and then we'll have 4G on tap 24/7 and I can bring the post bang up to date for you.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #74
Guru

Lymington is the largest leisure port in the South of England and lies tucked away behind the Isle of Wight. The tidal races here are a challenge as the Atlantic tide comes up the channel and the North sea tide comes down and as they are not in sync it creates local anomalies to tax the unwary navigator.
As we approach the Isle of Wight the much photographed 'Needles' mark the entrance to the channel, when we passed our 7/8 knot boat was doing 13.5 knots over the ground, get it wrong and ? photo.
The entrance to Lymington is marked by a peculiar seamark called 'Jack In The Basket' folklore says it was where the fishermen's wives left their 'jack' a local slang term for lunch. Another version is that anyone exhibiting anti social behaviour was put in the basket and pelted with fish offal, I prefer the latter version myself..
Since the middle ages salt was the main income from the low lying salt marshes until salt was discovered in 1865 in Cheshire and could be mined much cheaper so Lymington turned it's hand to smuggling and there's said to be many secret tunnels and cellars under it's Main St where goods could be landed from the creeks and salt marshes and transported by pack horse or cart and swiftly unloaded in the many courtyards in the town.
The Revenue (Customs) had a house here for it's men who tried to catch the smugglers trading in Wine, Brandy, Silks, Coffee and tea to evade the taxes.
Berthon boatyard founded in 1877 is the oldest private boatyard in England and traded continuously since then.
A native son John Hansom designed the Hansom horse drawn cab seen in many old English films like Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes.
Being close to the Isle of Wight frequent ferries keep the skipper on his toes. apologies for lack of photo's, I've been constantly trying but as you know the Wi Fi is terrible around here, I promise I will post them as soon as we get a strong connection.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #75
Guru

We've left Gosport and most impressive it is, I just have to show you some of the photo's later.
We then cruised along the coast to Eastbourne once the weather had eased for just the one night.
The next day was supposed to be brilliant, wall to wall sunshine and flat calm seas, well we did have a fantastic sunrise and calm seas in the morning but later the wind over tide saw us headbutting in Force 4 waves with occasional tantalising views of France on our starboard side on the way to Dover, our last port of call in England.
Here we've to pick up spares for servicing/modifications and wait for the right weather and as soon as that's sorted we'll cast off for France.
It's a daunting prospect as it's a marine superhighway out there with ferries leaving here every 15 minutes plus seaborne traffic from the Atlantic en route to the North sea and vice versa.
We've come this far with no real problems except the uncertain weather and we'll not be beaten by a bit of heavy traffic.
Dover is the busiest port in Britain and the constant stream of lorries on and off the is unbelievable.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #76
Guru

At last we have better Wi-Fi so here are some photo's of Lymington as I play catch up and bring you up to date with our journey.
The first photo is of 'The Needles' just off the Isle of Wight.
2nd is Hurst fort with fast patrol passing,3rd 'Jack in the Basket' 4/5/6th Lymington old town and car.
When the tide goes out you can clean your bottom and re anti foul.
Harbour scene. Cool Running's leaving harbour keeping well clear of the ferry and finally Snow Mouse in the sun.
Our friends from Ireland joined us for a cruise to our next port Southampton for the boat show weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0895.jpg   DSCN0903.jpg   DSCN0958.jpg   DSCN0925.jpg   DSCN0927.jpg  

DSCN0931.jpg   DSCN0945.jpg   DSCN0922.jpg   DSCN0955.jpg   DSCN0951.jpg  

Old 10-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #77
Guru

Entering Southampton water passing tankers unloading at Esso refinery. Visiting the boat show to look at things we can't afford and buying things we think we need ! Fortunately we enjoyed good weather for the show and we like virtually everyone drooled over the gorgeous Fleming.
Queen Mary 2 in her home port, Cunard line are based here.
This sailing ship is taking a break from filming, she's been in every major film Pirates of the Caribbean, Mutiny on the Bounty, Master and Commander etc. it's real name is the 'Earl of Pembroke and she's privately owned by a company specializing in old sailing ships for films and promotional work.
This Wallenous lines boat just transports cars worldwide. Well how did you think your import got here ?
The boat show from the water and cruise ship World Odyssey paying a visit to Southampton.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0961.jpg   DSCN0969 (2).jpg   DSCN0965 (3).jpg   DSCN0975 (2).jpg   DSCN0978 (2).jpg  

DSCN0981 (3).jpg   DSCN0985.jpg   DSCN0989 (2).jpg  
Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #78
Guru

Navigating in Southampton water you need to be very alert as these fast ferries shuttle commuters to and from Cowes on the Isle of Wight
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0960.jpg  
Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #79
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
It really is incredible how big that Queen Mary is.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #80
Guru

Hi Wayfarer.
To be honest she's even bigger than the she looks in the photo. Very very impressive but a cruise on her is above my paygrade.