Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Guru

how slow do we go

On my way south from the chesapeake 2 years ago I was docked at conjock NC for the night Thanksgiving eve . The next day I arose before daybreak to get an early start .I found the fog so thick I could not see the far end of the dock. Still I was underway at daybreak racing high winds to cross the Albemarle sound. Those that have been there know how rough it can be and with winds over 35mph the bridge over the alligator river will not swing. On my way out I came across 2 very large sport fish (55-60') on their way back to the dock. A call on the radio confirms , the fog only gets worse away from the dock. Still I continue, after all, I have radar . So I do make it fine across the sound never seeing the one marker midway. Although I can not see the swing bridge I mange to make the alligator river with out hitting the bridge or going aground in the tricky entrance to the river. Anyway the fog lifts a little and I have a good day. The next day all was fine and I make good time as well. At about 1 the next afternoon I was passed by the same two large sport fish boats I saw returning to the dock two and a half days ago. I called on the radio to say hi and ask when did you guys finally get off the dock? The answer 6am this morning Another voice i did not know comes over the radio saying" Dam I need a faster boat" . And I realize my little marine trader is really slow and those big sportfish are fast. But still I did make south florida after 21 day and a little over 400 gallons later. I do wonder how much fuel the two big sport fish boats used
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I would guess anywhere between 50 and 120gph. So in 2 1/2, say, 8 hour days....between 1000 and 2400 gallons. 21 days sounds fine to me.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
During the past many decades I have come across many large SF owners - they clearly understand their fuel burn and cost. For a good read go to Yacht Forums and read Liberty's postings about a 52' Hatt he bought in the US and just finished moving to Australia. "Speed" can be fun - sometimes 25 knots in a big SF in 8' seas is a lot more comfortable than putting along at 7 knots.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Then there are the less traditional boats. I'm burning about 4-5 gal/hr at 14-15 knots in my 34 ft. PDQ power cat. When I passed a Nordic Tug 42 on the ICW yesterday he said he was burning 7-8 gal/hr and he was probably going about 8 knots. If I were to cruise at 8 knots I'd burn about 1.5 gal/hr.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
6.15 knots most all the time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
6.3 knots (1800 out of 2400 RPM) most of the time after engine warm-up. Can go (and do sometimes) a knot faster but with over twice the fuel consumption.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
Then there are the less traditional boats. I'm burning about 4-5 gal/hr at 14-15 knots in my 34 ft. PDQ power cat. When I passed a Nordic Tug 42 on the ICW yesterday he said he was burning 7-8 gal/hr and he was probably going about 8 knots. If I were to cruise at 8 knots I'd burn about 1.5 gal/hr.

dvd
Did I see you going tru hollywood this week?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
7.5 knots seems to be our sweet spot with the re-fit Yanmar. DVD....no fair to compare the PDQ 34. If I didn't bash myself so badly on my only overnight stay (thanks to Dick Tuschick), we'd have one. That is one efficient pair of hulls.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Guru

I do understand and have enjoyed the speed . It is a matter of economics for me. The fuel bill for that sport fish represents my complete budget for the winter. It is either go slow or dont go for me. This is my 5th year on boat and this winter I did not go home at all
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For me and my lifestyle....while fuel burn is important enough...I just say to myself...50 miles a day...where's the next fun place between 40-60 miles and that's where we are going.

Unless you have to be someplace....I can live with where ever I wind up each day. But that's semi-retired for you...it now is the journey as much as the destination.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
dvd

<<Did I see you going tru hollywood this week?>>

Not me -- I'm on my way south but haven't gotten that far yet.

dvd
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post

dvd

DVD, How about posting some pics of your new PowerCat? I've long been intrigued by the efficiency and comfort of the large powercats. Great cruiser. How is your fishing/dingy access? Accomodations....2 staterooms/2 heads? No way for us trawlers to compete with your speed and efficiency.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
dvd

FlyWright -

We've got reasonable internet connection here, so I took a few pics this AM. Take into consideration we are in "travel mode" and have been traveling hard for the past week and a half. Dinghy/water/fishing/dock access is great with steps built into the pontoons. I've got 2 "staterooms" which are really "bunk rooms" with queen size berths, but no standing headroom once you crawl onto the berth. The berth access was the only compromise in this boat, but everything else is worth it. Single head with large separate shower. Full galley with refer/freezer, stove top and oven. Large central dinette in the main salon with another seating area (referred to as the "piano bar") across from the lower helm. There's a large flybridge and upper helm. There are a few PDQs on Yachtworld with plenty of pics. The interior was changed considerably from 2005 on.

I've got twin 75hp Yanmars - it also came with 100hp twins as well.

dvd
Attached Thumbnails
stern.jpg   stbd.jpg   port.jpg   beam.jpg   fwd.jpg  

Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
6-6.5 knots most of the time, 1.3-1.5 gph.

17-18 knots some of the time, 10 gph.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I've heard it said that outboards use about 1gph per 10 HP at "full" throttle as a general rule of thumb.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
Guru

dvd
love that boat
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Guru

RT,
Sure but are they more or less efficient at 1/2 throttle?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks for the pix, dvd. What a great cruiser!! Safe travels.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I've heard it said that outboards use about 1gph per 10 HP at "full" throttle as a general rule of thumb.

Is that for two or four cycle? We have a 90 hp Yamaha 2-cycle on our Arima and at 5,000 rpm which is close to but not full throttle it burns about five gallons per hour. Which gets us 30 mph.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
Guru

The 30mph is meaningless but the 5gph is spot on it seems. But even though you're running 5000rpm it must be lightly loaded. I run my outboards about 1000rpm less.