Hey Snowbirds, what are your migration plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A short video Sian and I did of the lagoon and lock a few years ago.

The marina is pretty full these days though.

Nice. Love the British narrator's voice. Looks like expensive moorage.

Nice. Love the British narrator's voice. Looks like expensive moorage.

That would be my missus! She speaks like she has a plum in her mouth.

Cheapest dockage around. Priority given to residents though. Non residents can get an annual contract but if a new resident needs it they must leave.

Transient rate is 1:25 plus tax a foot, everything included.

We've been doing cross border deliveries but we can't bring our own boat across the US border. We just ordered shrink wrap to liveaboard west of Toronto for the winter. We're jealous of all this cruising talk.

This is what we have to look forward to ......

Attachments

• Winter Survey 1.jpg
    Winter Survey 1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 27
We've been doing cross border deliveries but we can't bring our own boat across the US border. We just ordered shrink wrap to liveaboard west of Toronto for the winter. We're jealous of all this cruising talk.

How the heck did that sand get blown over everything?

My little boat is coming out of the water next week but if you give me a heads up I can give you a lift for groceries or whatever in Cape May. We are there until the last week of October.

Thanks Archie! That's most kind :flowers:

Ugh... I don't envy you. Stay warm, Boatpokers. Just drop me a line if you need me to smuggle you some Stewarts Ice Cream.

No refrigeration required for beer or steaks.

Wifey B: Actually I do remember seeing some snow most recently in 2014 in Seattle. Even had a snowball fight with local kids there and then their mommy made us all some cocoa. It was hilarious and fun. We were just walking by and laughing and enjoying and they decided to throw one at us. Well, can't say no to that so it was game on. I'm sure we shocked them but so much fun. :lol:

We got confused this year instead of spending the summer on the boat up in the PNW we spent the summer in the Phoenix area I can't say that I recommend as we spent the summer cooped up inside dodging covid and the heat.... To make up for this we are heading north just in time for the rainy season.... Hopefully next year we will get our timing straightened out...

That would be my missus! She speaks like she has a plum in her mouth.

Cheapest dockage around. Priority given to residents though. Non residents can get an annual contract but if a new resident needs it they must leave.

Transient rate is 1:25 plus tax a foot, everything included.
I still think she has a great voice....

well I guess I will give you a glimpse of the real work I will keep working 50 hours a week and maybe get to spend a week and a few weekends on the boat.

I do have two and a half weeks of vacation left because I was furloughed during my spring vacation. I really wanted to get a bottom job on the boat last month but the yard is not cooperating.

Snowbird Travel Plans

We are in Vancouver BC
Have gone to Arizona for over 20 years in the winter ,with time increasing as kids got more and more independent
Wouldn't consider crossing the border (even if it was open which it isn't) until
USA gets its act together and covid numbers come down substantially .In addition would need a safe and effective vaccine and have it in my arm. You folks down south have an advantage over Canadians as i would suspect many of you have medical coverage if you are a USA citizen and travel within your country as we do here

We generally have very mild weather here much like Seattle so year round boating is always an option
Be safe

Well, my plans have evolved. Looks like I'll be stuck at work for at least another two weeks. The plus side of that is that I'll hopefully have six weeks off when I do go home, which means I'll have plenty of time to travel. I'll probably skip the prolonged stop at Annapolis for upgrades, and carry on south. I may just shoot right down to Savannah and have my projects did at Thunderbolt or something...

Unless the world ends before then. Who knows. Mice and men, and all that.

We really don't take time off. The boss thinks this is our vacation - away from each other. I really want to visit the catamaran manufacturers in South Africa. Mostly out of curiosity, than anything else. So, I guess that by November we will return to homebase in Madeira for a few weeks, then head south - stopping along the way to show off the new tug. We had originally planned on going to Ft Lauderdale boat show, but that's on hold.

I've noticed no-one has talked about the Caribb??? We usually leave our MN lake home in early Nov and head for Puerto Rico, resplash, and then head for points east. But this year....well, we're waiting for the vaccine. Done MN winters before and don't need to renew that experience, but it looks like it may happen. IF....we did get to the Caribb, and then pick up the bug-well, there just aren't a lot of options! With luck, the vaccine will be made avail sooner rather than later.....but at age 75 we're not leaving home without it!

I've noticed no-one has talked about the Caribb??? We usually leave our MN lake home in early Nov and head for Puerto Rico, resplash, and then head for points east. But this year....well, we're waiting for the vaccine. Done MN winters before and don't need to renew that experience, but it looks like it may happen. IF....we did get to the Caribb, and then pick up the bug-well, there just aren't a lot of options! With luck, the vaccine will be made avail sooner rather than later.....but at age 75 we're not leaving home without it!

Where exactly is the Caribb?

Well, my plans have evolved. Looks like I'll be stuck at work for at least another two weeks. The plus side of that is that I'll hopefully have six weeks off when I do go home, which means I'll have plenty of time to travel. I'll probably skip the prolonged stop at Annapolis for upgrades, and carry on south. I may just shoot right down to Savannah and have my projects did at Thunderbolt or something...

Unless the world ends before then. Who knows. Mice and men, and all that.

Look at making it to JAX for work - consider Lambs or Huckins on the Ortega. No sense waiting in the cold.

We would love to go to the Caribbean. That was in out plans last winter but blocked by Covid 19. Yes, we recognized the risk before Spring.

We'd consider it now but those from the US generally not welcome today. Some areas safer, some worse.

I do not know if what I am writing will make US and Canadian more happy with what happens with this bloody virus but I can tell you that, mid september here in Canary islands, we do not see may yachts or powerboats coming from the north, whatever east ( med) or west ( atlantic coasts of Europe) they should sail from.
Normally, at this period of the year, marinas should be full of new yachts arriving after the 4-5 days passage from Gibraltar, ready to do the long leg to Cape verde and further Carribean.
I was expecting myself to cross Atlantic with my trawler after my recent paravanes install to complete my hydraulic stabilizers in case of failure.
Now I wonder, be back to France, Riviera or Brittany? be back in Portugal or main land Spain. We do not know at the moment how airflights companies will deal with the lack of tourists coming from northern Europe to enjoy the nice climate here in Canary islands during winter.
As well, my "dream" to visit US and Canada with Balder VIII, explore east coast and ICW is at the moment seriously compromised...
I read also that many snow birds from Canada do not know what to do soon...

The monthly renewal of the all inclusive "Travel Advisory", means that there will not be any travel medical available for travel to any of those places, until that advisory ends. No snowbird travel for us, as we are already in the best part of Canada in which to spend the winter.
When still working, we used our boat 12 months every year, so could get back to doing that.

We plan to leave the Annapolis area around Oct 25 +/-, weather willing. Right now the plans are to spend election week in New Bern, NC, Thanksgiving in Charleston, SC and then cruise to St Augustine for a month. We’ll head to Marathon the first week of January and poke around the Keys for a couple of months. (Unless someone wants to get a group together and head the the Bahamas.) Planning to start back to Annapolis around March 1st...

Bill & Anneliese
Salty Swan

Hey balder8 we’re heading your way. Currently waiting out weather in San Vito Lo Capo, Sicily. Hopefully mid to end of November out Gibraltar straits and make a left turn. Plan is to be in the Caribbean for the winter and then late March do the ditch to the Pacific and up to Canada for July.

Hey Snowbirds, what are your migration plans

Been in the Bahamas for almost a couple of weeks now. Lay over in Nassau for a couple of days for a connecting flight to Bimini. Covid procedures were a pain but not difficult. Weather near perfect but the entire country is near shut down. The rules have been relaxed but most businesses, bars, restaurants, etc are shut. Except on weekends it feels like we are the only tourists and cruisers around. Very quiet, which is sometimes good.

IMO stay where you are comfortable and familiar. Travel exposes you to uncertain precautions in new places. You are probably very well versed in dealing safely at home. New locations are a different story.
Look for new adventures closer to home.

I think people use the word travel and vacation in the same sense.

If you travel by boat or RV....where you drag your restaurant, bed, and toilet with you...traveling isn't really different than staying at home because home comes with you. I have been doing it for the whole pandemic from Florida to Texas to Jersey and back. All the states contained in that triangle and a few more. No much different at gas stations, marinas, grocery store and many restaurants.

Now once you get someplace, life is a little different....but how much? What in particular do you want to do?

By no means am I downplaying the virus....I take all the safeguards seriously...but I run my life....not virus, fear, paranoia of others, etc...etc...and mixing travel and a little fun isn't a showstopper if you don't want it to be.

Back
Top Bottom