Hey Snowbirds, what are your migration plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Howdy sports fans!

I know this year has been... weird... and it's impacted everyone's travel plans, but since I don't have a house any more, I kinda feel like I have to travel. I can't very well spend the winter on a boat in the Hudson River, right? At least that's how I'm justifying it, since I want to go anyway.

I'm cobbling together plans to start heading south from NY soon. I'm hoping to be underway by about October 7th or so. I'm really looking forward to cruising down the Hudson River with with the fall foliage at or near peak awesomeness.

I'm hoping to spend a few days in New York City, providing that the Covid will allow me to go ashore and do a bit of light tourism. I'd also like to actually see some of Cape May if it's safe and reasonable to do so.

I'm planning to spend my first layover in the Annapolis area, probably at Bert Jabin's, where I can get some projects done while I'm back at work.

I'm not sure how my work schedule will shake out, but I do know that I'm shooting to make it to Florida this year. I'd like to spend some time exploring between Beaufort SC and St. Augustine over the winter. I find myself drawn to that zone for whatever reason.

How about the rest of the flock? Where'n y'all's headin'?

Current plans are to start South first week in Nov. Take four weeks to get to Gulf Coast.
I am a daily Marine Traffic AIS lurker. Every year at this time there are plenty of Canadian flagged sail and power boats heading south through the Deleware and Chesapeake. I haven't seen a single one in the last two weeks.

We are leaving Connecticut on Tuesday for Manhasset Bay and then Sandy Hook. We want to make the trip from Sandy Hook to Cape May in one day. We just want a good day for it.
Then on to Oxford to meet our canvas guy to pickup new cushions and visit with friends from high school in Delaware. Following that it’s the ICW south to Marathon. We hope to get there in mid-December.

Greetings,
Mr. W. Dusting off the snow shovels and debating whether or not one cord of wood will do us for the winter (supplemental and emergency heating only). Just NOT worth the chance, AT ALL! The snow should be gone by June 2021...

We’re staying put until things get funner and safer to travel.

Next winter will be better. :)

We're in St Augustine this fall to be able to drive to family functions in the Carolinas.

We have a secret spot in Key Largo starting Jan1 through end of March.

Then we'll head around and North - maybe the loop depending on how the vaccines roll out....

Staying put, as usual.

We don't cover our boat during winter, but have in years past used it on nice days which land on a weekend to keep the engine happy...this usually happens once a month. Stupid day job.

I'm retiring soon, so our odds of being able to go on day trips will increase from two days out of seven, to seven days out of seven :thumb: :D

Storm anchor needed for overnighters...

Last edited:
La Nina year. Good boating for snowbirds who make it South. Not so great boating for us in WA, OR, BC and AK.

Looking forward to a good skiing season.

Current plans are to start South first week in Nov. Take four weeks to get to Gulf Coast.
I am a daily Marine Traffic AIS lurker. Every year at this time there are plenty of Canadian flagged sail and power boats heading south through the Deleware and Chesapeake. I haven't seen a single one in the last two weeks.

I guess I won't be making many Canadian friends this winter. Looks like you guys will be well out in front of me. I probably won't depart Annapolis until December. It'll be cold, but I'll be a whole month ahead of where I was last year.

We are leaving Connecticut on Tuesday for Manhasset Bay and then Sandy Hook. We want to make the trip from Sandy Hook to Cape May in one day. We just want a good day for it.
Then on to Oxford to meet our canvas guy to pickup new cushions and visit with friends from high school in Delaware. Following that it’s the ICW south to Marathon. We hope to get there in mid-December.

That's a big hop all the way down the Jersey coast. I'd need a crew for that one. I can see myself spending a month at Boot Key Harbor somewhere down the line. Seems like a pretty cool spot.

Greetings,
Mr. W. Dusting off the snow shovels and debating whether or not one cord of wood will do us for the winter (supplemental and emergency heating only). Just NOT worth the chance, AT ALL! The snow should be gone by June 2021...

Ugh, condolences on the shoveling. I just sold mine, and I'm happy about it. I'd lay in another couple of cords and enjoy the fireplace. That's one of the few things about the winter that I'll actually miss.

We’re staying put until things get funner and safer to travel.

Next winter will be better. :)

I sure hope so!

We're in St Augustine this fall to be able to drive to family functions in the Carolinas.

We have a secret spot in Key Largo starting Jan1 through end of March.

Then we'll head around and North - maybe the loop depending on how the vaccines roll out....

I'm really looking forward to checking out St. Augustine. I've never spent any real time there, but it seems like a really cool place. I was actually considering a loop next year, too. I'm liking the idea of a summer tour of the Great Lakes, and it just makes sense to take the mighty Miss back down from Chicago when I'm done.

Staying put, as usual.

We don't cover our boat during winter, but have in years past used it on nice days which land on a weekend to keep the engine happy...this usually happens once a month. Stupid day job.

I'm retiring soon, so our odds of being able to go on day trips will increase from two days out of seven, to seven days out of seven :thumb: :D

Storm anchor needed for overnighters...

I like those odds!

La Nina year. Good boating for snowbirds who make it South. Not so great boating for us in WA, OR, BC and AK.

Looking forward to a good skiing season.

May your powder be excellent.

Sounds like even though I'll be a month ahead of where I was last year, I'll still be bringing up the back end of the parade. That's alright, It's kinda nice having so many places to myself.

Hey Snowbirds, what are your migration plans

Happy to report we arrive in the Bahamas on Oct 2 for a month or two long cruise. Have complied with the covid rules and looking forward to getting back cruising, although I suspect it may be a little different??

Happy to report we arrive in the Bahamas on Oct 2 for a month or two long cruise. Have complied with the covid rules and looking forward to getting back cruising, although I suspect it may be a little different??

How are you dealing with the requirement of having a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test within five days of arrival and then a negative test when moving from island to island?

Leaving Crisfield, MD around October 24th, crossing the Florida line around the November 7th, arriving Fort Myers November 15 - 22nd.

Heading to the boatyard tomorrow for wax, paint, and a punch list of projects. Departure could be accelerated or delayed based on time in the yard.

Ted

I guess I won't be making many Canadian friends this winter. Looks like you guys will be well out in front of me. I probably won't depart Annapolis until December. It'll be cold, but I'll be a whole month ahead of where I was last year.

That's a big hop all the way down the Jersey coast. I'd need a crew for that one. I can see myself spending a month at Boot Key Harbor somewhere down the line. Seems like a pretty cool spot.

Ugh, condolences on the shoveling. I just sold mine, and I'm happy about it. I'd lay in another couple of cords and enjoy the fireplace. That's one of the few things about the winter that I'll actually miss.

I sure hope so!

I'm really looking forward to checking out St. Augustine. I've never spent any real time there, but it seems like a really cool place. I was actually considering a loop next year, too. I'm liking the idea of a summer tour of the Great Lakes, and it just makes sense to take the mighty Miss back down from Chicago when I'm done.

I like those odds!

May your powder be excellent.

Sounds like even though I'll be a month ahead of where I was last year, I'll still be bringing up the back end of the parade. That's alright, It's kinda nice having so many places to myself.
Man Dave, that's pretty bold running the Chesapeake in December. I hope that Kingston has heat[emoji12]

We'll be driving down to the Phoenix area to our condo in mid November to pick up our Boston Whaler. We'll stay a couple of weeks before heading back home. My MIL is turning 105 in mid-December and we want to be home for that.

My migration plans are to haul the boat, winterize, then jump in a car and drive to South Carolina to visit family around Sept 9, then onto Florida around Sept 11th.

That is, unless I get the carpet company to agree to install carpet this fall instead of next Spring. If so, then same plan whenever the carpet is installed.

Not nearly as exciting as what you guys are talking about.

we're actually discussing heading north to Hilton Head for a while!

We will be on the Columbia River this winter. We have started winter prep. Getting some projects done like fuel tank vent lines, black tank hoses (some are original equipment) and the settee re-upolstered

Man Dave, that's pretty bold running the Chesapeake in December. I hope that Kingston has heat[emoji12]

Last year it was January! lol. Yeah, she's got a pretty decent propane furnace. It chews up the gas, but it does the job.

We'll be driving down to the Phoenix area to our condo in mid November to pick up our Boston Whaler. We'll stay a couple of weeks before heading back home. My MIL is turning 105 in mid-December and we want to be home for that.

Happy Birthday!

We will be on the Columbia River this winter. We have started winter prep. Getting some projects done like fuel tank vent lines, black tank hoses (some are original equipment) and the settee re-upolstered

Forgive my ignorance... is the Columbia River a year round cruising ground, or do you have to winterize there? There's a very real possibility that I'll ship myself and Sylphide out to the west coast at some point in the middle future. These pictures I keep seeing of the PNW are just too good to miss.

My little boat is coming out of the water next week but if you give me a heads up I can give you a lift for groceries or whatever in Cape May. We are there until the last week of October.

Waiting until January

We will re-launch at St. Marys Boatyard in mid January after painting the house and fly bridge. Using Alexseal... Wish me luck. We are also adding A/C for the warmer months.

We will then head south to Jax, turn right into the St. Johns and make our way to Sanford. After that, back to the coast and down toward Cocoa Village.

If all goes right, that will take us into late March or early April and time to head north for another season of sailing on Lake Superior.

We will re-launch at St. Marys Boatyard in mid January after painting the house and fly bridge. Using Alexseal... Wish me luck. We are also adding A/C for the warmer months.

We will then head south to Jax, turn right into the St. Johns and make our way to Sanford. After that, back to the coast and down toward Cocoa Village.

If all goes right, that will take us into late March or early April and time to head north for another season of sailing on Lake Superior.

Let me know if you need some help/transportation while in the area. We are just off the ICW in the JAX Beach area.

We are doing local trips through the end of Oct, then hopefully a SW Florida trip for a month or so.

Menzies, thanks for the offer, we will keep it in mind and maybe we can get together in the spring.

Menzies, thanks for the offer, we will keep it in mind and maybe we can get together in the spring.

Absolutely.

Plus we have a marina in here that accepts transients for a couple of nights. $1.25ft plus tax all inclusive! Just be prepared to transit a lock!

No facilities though apart from what we offer at our house! :)

Greetings,
Further to my post (#4), we are also prepping the house for minimization of potential winter illnesses (furnace tune-up, duct cleaning and upgraded air filters).

Wifey B: To Fort Lauderdale. :) Oh, I'm already here. Hoping to escape some to the Bahamas. Otherwise weekend trips to areas from Key West to Canaveral. :D:D

Menzies, sounds like a nice little marina...

A short video Sian and I did of the lagoon and lock a few years ago.

The marina is pretty full these days though.

Attachments

• DJI_0009.jpg
    DJI_0009.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Leaving the Okeechobee Waterway at ~0900 Wednesday, then turn left on ICW.
Head north until we need heat; then turn around and return to St Pete for the winter.
Looking forward to exploring Cumberland Island!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom