Old 11-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

City: Liblar
Grand Banks 39/42 or "alike" for voyaging / passagemaking?

Hi everyone,

I just posted a thread to introduce myself - so I will focus on the question at hand:

We are a family nearing our 50's, teenage girl, "close" with our parents and grandparents.

We are looking for a "can do all boat".

- easy to drive (weekends) in calm waters for the 75+ generation - with 2 - 6 peolpe aboard
- comfortable liveaboard for the 45+ Generation (2-3 people)
- great, safe, reliable, seeworthy, seekind(!), very longrange passagemaker for voyaging - also in bad weather and storm - for extended peroids - 1, 2, 3, 6 month.
- cosy and warm for all season voyaging around northern europe - scotland, sweden, norway, etc etc. (2 peolpe)

First we were looking at heavy steel sailboats - but they have drafts of 2m and more... to much for the weekend trips in shallow waters in northern germany and the netherlands.

Than we were looking at dutch double ender s-hull steel motor yachts because of their seekindness and seaworthiness and range - but they roll badly without a Staysail. Steel has its pros and cons.

Now we might turn to the trawler type. They seem to me a compromise to be considered. With flopper stopper, and staysail they seem to be quite capable of bad weather. The lighter weight seems at least to compensate less the efficient drag (dutch s-shape hull) rangewise. And they they seem to be very good liveabourds when voyaging.

I would appreciate to hear as many opinions and experiences as available here about these great boats.

Size: around 40ft budget about 150k asking price. we are willing and able to work on the boat's condition.

Are the hulls "noisy", when rolling at night on the hook in a bay?

kind regards
ralph + ilka from germany
foreevernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
You seem to be looking for a full displacement vessel, and from your budget, I would guess a single engine type with protection for the running gear. We have had the discussion of underway steadying sails on production "trawlers" like my former Grand Banks 42 which I found to be utterly useless due to its short mast and thus tiny sail. Additionally, my hull was not full displacement giving the boat a snappy roll, something you would probably not like in the waters you mentioned. I once spent a lot of time aboard a Bristol 42 trawler with a rounded chine. It rolled horribly alongside my steady hard-chined GB42 in the marina, but seemed to perform well at sea. Neither vessel had paravanes or stabilizing fins; we just carefully picked the weather for open water transits. Back to the idea of a stabilizing sail but this time for use at anchor, the average trawler with a lot of windage too far forward will drive you crazy with the heavy yawing in a windy anchorage. We trawler drivers all envy the sailboats which lie well behaved at anchorage, especially the one with a steadying sail well aft. You have not mentioned any desired vessel speed, which means to me you are not too concerned about that, meaning hull speed will be ok with you, say 6-7.5 knots.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #3

absolutely - displacement. I am 100% fine with fuel saving 70% of hull speed!
if the ship is seakind, you just keep going on and on and on.

IF the boat were able to go 10 or 12 knots for any safety reasons - that would be an add on.

I like steel due the feeling of safety in case of colision with anything. but I know nauticat for axemple are very sturdy and heavy build. how about GB or alike?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Having owned a GB42 for several decades, I personally would not choose it for your intended cruising grounds, especially the more exposed areas getting across placed like the North Sea. Stout hull, but too snappy in rolling and too much exposed glass. Just look at the motor vessels in the marinas along the North Sea to see what works well for them; high bows, aft pilot stations, small glass, etc.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I agree. GBs are coastal boats. And that fits our cruising area. You need a pilot house trawler. I think a Nordhavn would fit the bill, but you need more money.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #6

100% right ... lol.

Any other suggestions Despite NH?
There must be many good .. old.. but still good ... passagemakers.
What did work in 70s should still work today.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

City: Camarillo
Answer to your question

We had many of the same concerns & wish list of capabilities your talking about. Only thing is, it does not go 12 knots. If your happy with 6 to 8 knots, this is your boat.

We went with the Kadey Krogen 42. -- we have NEVER regretted it.

All boats are a compromise, but I can tell you from experience that this one does most things well.

Take a good close look at them & see what you think.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #8

Hi

thanks - I WILL have a closer look!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
ALL boats are a compromise, however, you seem to be on the right track in looking at a trawler, preferable a full displacement.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #10

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Morningside
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
I would look at the Elling brand of boats, made in Europe and seaworthy and for where you want to cruise, Netherlands and Germany, it can easily be used in the canals.
Going in the North Sea to get to Norway would be much safer in a full displacement boat. I think you will have a hard time getting a reliable power boat for $150,000.....now a sailboat, yes, lots in that price range.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ng-e3-3669765/
Johnboyrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboyrtw View Post
... boat for $150,000.....now a sailboat, yes, lots in that price range.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ng-e3-3669765/
I would assume the 150K was Euro's...not USD...although $30K difference isn't much with the type of boat most are recommending.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote