Old 05-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Gopher Broke is Headin' Home

Hey folks,

A lot has happened with my plans to bring my new to me Silverton 410 Sport Bridge up from Ft Myers to her new home port of Bayfield WI. I've gotten a ton of support from members here in the process, so I'm definitely remiss if I don't update.

We've changed our plan and now we're taking a "reverse loop" home. Heading up the Tenn-Tom, Ohio, Mississippi, Illinois rivers and then across the Great Lakes. It basically came down to predictability. First, the construction on the Erie Canal has been put on hold until god only knows when. And when it starts it's 3-4 more weeks before the canal opens. This could be July, or September, or maybe not this year at all. Second, one of my captains is from Florida, and their Governor has put a quarantine requirement on anyone flying into FL from NY. This means that my captain would be out of work for two weeks, which he wasn't interested in and I wasn't interested in paying him for it. That quarantine is at least as much a political issue as a health issue, so again, who knows when it would be lifted.

So I've hired a new captain and crew that specializes in this delivery route. Captain Matt Hahn was interviewed by AGLCA last year on this same "reverse loop" topic due to the pending closure of the Illinois. His detailed commentary gave me the confidence that this was the most reliable way to get her home, and with fuel so cheap it eliminated one of the major drawbacks.

So - I came down Friday and started preparations for our trip. Progress has been ... slow. I'm here solo so everything takes forever, especially with proper caution for virus concerns. Plus, and this is important, this is my first:
A) "big" boat. Last boat was a single gasser I/O at 30'
B) diesels. Never owned them, never worked on them. Staggering to deal with oil changes in gallons vs quarts and oil filters that, filled, are weighty enough that you can actually get tired trying to get them to thread onto the %!%#@$ filter mount.
C) preparation for a serious long distance cruise. All my other really long trips before have been on chartered boats. This one's on me.

Moral of that story is that I'm being super careful to not cut corners, to triple check my understanding of everything, oh and yeah, I'm making a few mistakes here and there. Things that should be simple (and certainly will be next time I do them) are being treated like brain surgery. And yet the mistakes..

Anyway, we plan to leave Wednesday crack o dawn. Captain and crew should arrive Tues. around noon, so we'll have a flurry of activity. Lots of weird stupid stuff that needs (?) to get done like removing the previous name and adding mine (and a hailing port), mounting the official number on the hull (was previously registered in Canada and had none). OH! And the radar! I installed a new suite of electronics last time I was here. Just couldn't get to the autopilot before I left (see other thread about marina upcharges on this topic). Well I returned to find a very well functioning new autopilot. But the radar no longer is recognized at all! That's ... a problem.

Ok. I have a lot of "fun" stories about the preparations but I've gone on far too long already. Lots of fun posts to come. I'll try to keep updates coming on our trip once it starts.

Please - Wish us luck!
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Best of luck on the delivery trip. I'm envious of anyone who can go boating in these times.

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Are you planning on posting your trip home?

I'm sure that a lot of folks would be interested in reading about a 'reverse' 1/2 loop!

Safe travels,

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
What a fabulous trip you have planned, BD! This will be the trip of a lifetime, and hopefully Captain Matt will teach you everything you need to know.

However, I imagine he will insist upon getting that radar up and running for the AIS communication with the barges on the rivers.

I am looking forward to any and all reports you will be providing.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
Guru

Thanks Miz T,

The installer is coming out tomorrow to hopefully set things straight. Regarding AIS I've installed a AMEC sotdma class B transponder so we should be covered there either way. Tows will show up on the plotter and us on theirs. But radar for the Gulf crossing seems pretty useful.

BD
Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
Guru

I'll be posting updates for sure. When we get moving you can also follow us on the inreach site.
https://share.garmin.com/gopherbroke
Old 05-04-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Will you be running an overnight crossing the gulf?

You might be surprised how little you use a radar - if at all.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #8
Guru

I don't have the range to do a straight run across. We're heading up to Clearwater, then Carrabelle, then Destin. I hope we don't need the radar! But I just installed it so I definitely want it working. I want to run with it on during the day so that I can learn how to use / read it better. Also, the Doppler function is pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #9
Guru

One quick story about my first oil change experience yesterday. I started with the port engine because it was the hardest. The filter is behind a bunch of hoses and the coolant filter is in the way. I planned it all very carefully because I didn't want to spill oil.

After gingerly maneuvering the full filter down, dumping enough oil into a rag to tilt past a hose, and getting it out I remembered tips I've read here on the forum! Put a bag around the filter, dummy, and it will catch the oil. Oh well, no harm done and I'll do it on the next one.

So starboard here we go, and I have my bag ready. Despite the fact that once oil got on it, the dang bag just stuck to the filter, I was able to twist it off and drop the filter into the bag. Didn't spill a drop!

Until the bag caught on a hose clamp and tore a big hole in it and dumped oil all over the diamond plate ...

Note to self: buy some hose clamp tail guards.
BD
Old 05-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #10
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Hi BD,

I'd be very interested to follow your trip. I hope you keep posting. We delivered a North Pacific 44 from New Orleans to Cape Coral last February/March. The radar was essential for the first three days as we never saw land due to the intense fog. We were not offshore!

Also did an overnight run from Carrabelle to St. Pete. You will probablay not take as long. Enjoy the trip. The people we met along the way were a memorable part of the journey.

Rob
Old 05-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
I don't have the range to do a straight run across. We're heading up to Clearwater, then Carrabelle, then Destin. I hope we don't need the radar! But I just installed it so I definitely want it working. I want to run with it on during the day so that I can learn how to use / read it better. Also, the Doppler function is pretty cool.

You most likely have the range to do it at low speed, just not up on plane. Be careful of that for the long no-fuel segment on the loop as well (about 250 statute miles, IIRC). I know I'd have to run at least part of it at low speed in my boat to have the range (especially going upstream against the current). With diesels, running around 7 kts on your boat should give you close to 3 times the range you have up on plane. Even with my inefficient at light load gassers, slowing down easily doubles my range.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Just did that crossing during a delivery a month ago. We crossed at night and appreciated having the radar since that and AIS were our eyes in the dark. You may not see a single blip pop up on the radar screen but that could be a good thing.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #13
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
One quick story about my first oil change experience yesterday. I started with the port engine because it was the hardest. The filter is behind a bunch of hoses and the coolant filter is in the way. I planned it all very carefully because I didn't want to spill oil.

After gingerly maneuvering the full filter down, dumping enough oil into a rag to tilt past a hose, and getting it out I remembered tips I've read here on the forum! Put a bag around the filter, dummy, and it will catch the oil. Oh well, no harm done and I'll do it on the next one.

So starboard here we go, and I have my bag ready. Despite the fact that once oil got on it, the dang bag just stuck to the filter, I was able to twist it off and drop the filter into the bag. Didn't spill a drop!

Until the bag caught on a hose clamp and tore a big hole in it and dumped oil all over the diamond plate ...

BD
Ack! Frustrating. The best laid plans... You'll get it next time.

John
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:

BD
I have found that three things in life are certain:

1. When changing the oil in the engine, I will get oil on me and a lot of other stuff.

2. When changing fuel filters, I will get diesel on me.

3. When working on the toilet and holding tank, hoses, etc., I will get poop on me.

Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Lincoln
Vessel Name: Still the One
Vessel Model: Hatteras 42 LRC
Will follow your journey with anticipation...Also would love to here more about your preparations to get underway...I hopefully will be doing similar in 2 years if I survive this Covid 19 pandemic...I'm on the front-lines, wearing the blue condoms daily and retreat to our house on a lake with ice out 2 weeks ago, I watch nature reawaken, and read TF on my few days off that I recharge on...and we've already pushed back our plans 6 months because we couldn't get to Trawler school we'd scheduled, Your travels give some of us hope to soon be making a similar leap...Be safe and enjoy...Life is short make sure you enjoy it!
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
You most likely have the range to do it at low speed, just not up on plane. Be careful of that for the long no-fuel segment on the loop as well (about 250 statute miles, IIRC). I know I'd have to run at least part of it at low speed in my boat to have the range (especially going upstream against the current). With diesels, running around 7 kts on your boat should give you close to 3 times the range you have up on plane. Even with my inefficient at light load gassers, slowing down easily doubles my range.
Good point. Maybe we could. I have 450 gallons on board, and Navionics tells me it's about 430 miles across. If I got 3 times the range vs on plane I could make it.

Yes we've discussed those spots. I burn about 32 gph at cruise, so about 14 hours run time. To make the 250 miles I'd need to make good about 15 knots. Definitely possible, but there is a fuel delivery option too. Or of course we can go slower, but at some point we need to make way against the current, so...

Should be an interesting trip.
BD
Old 05-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
Guru

So...

Electronics Tech just left the boat. Brand new radar is toast. No idea how or why, but it is. They are working with Raymarine to see if one can get overnighted today, but this may push back our departure.

Stay tuned for more fun and excitement!
BD
Old 05-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Fair seas...
Old 05-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I did a little digging and couldn't find fuel burn numbers for the Silverton 410, but I found some for the slightly newer 43 sport bridge. With the Volvo diesels, the numbers I found were 4.4 gph at 8.1 kts, so 1.84 nmpg, tested in a 2 foot chop apparently. You could probably get up into the 2.5 nmpg range if you slowed down to 7 kts or just under. At 21 kts they showed 27.6 gph / 0.76 nmpg.

So at lower speed, you should have plenty of range, I'd think. With 450 gallons of capacity, I'd figure 320 gallons of usable fuel for planning purposes (figuring 25% reserve plus the last few gallons being unusable). Assuming a little worse burn of 0.7 nmpg at high speed, that gives about 225 nm as a planning range up on plane. At 1.8 nmpg at 8 kts, you're up to 575 nm range.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
Guru

At this rate I may never find out about the burn rate. I'm too exhausted to go into the stories, but I certainly will later. But right now I don't have a running freshwater pump - and my head runs off fresh water...

Dock water for now, but obviously that needs to be fixed.
BD