Gopher Broke is Headin' Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No they didn't. They had a bunch of problems with a "big" boat so they didn't get to it. They'll haul and inspect it Monday but now the insurance adjuster isn't available on Monday. Without knowing the work, there is no "schedule" just guesses. So for now I'll say we're on guess, but we'll see about on schedule.

BD

Just a brief update for those interested. Gopher Broke was hauled this morning and is blocked in their storage / work facility. Initial inspection confirmed that not only the starboard strut was bent (visibly) but the port is also measurably bent. They won't be able to tell if shaft deflection is the result of the bent strut or actually a bent shaft until they remove them for measurement.

I was disappointed to learn that the strut has not been ordered yet (order was placed but vendor never confirmed) but it doesn't matter now since we'll need two of them anyway. Hopefully there are two in stock!

Adjuster will view the boat tomorrow. Hopefully everything is just a normal claim - I can't see why it would not be.

BD

This is a great thread! You get the "Flavor" of cruising without the expense and hassles!:):):banghead::banghead:

Just a brief update for those interested. Gopher Broke was hauled this morning and is blocked in their storage / work facility. Initial inspection confirmed that not only the starboard strut was bent (visibly) but the port is also measurably bent. They won't be able to tell if shaft deflection is the result of the bent strut or actually a bent shaft until they remove them for measurement.

I was disappointed to learn that the strut has not been ordered yet (order was placed but vendor never confirmed) but it doesn't matter now since we'll need two of them anyway. Hopefully there are two in stock!

Adjuster will view the boat tomorrow. Hopefully everything is just a normal claim - I can't see why it would not be.

BD
Well that sucks. Glad the damage wasn't more severe. I know making insurance claims can be a hassle at times.

This is a great thread! You get the "Flavor" of cruising without the expense and hassles!:):):banghead::banghead:

Thanks. After 7 years here it's nice to have something to contribute for once!

Thanks. After 7 years here it's nice to have something to contribute for once!

Yep, but it would have been even nicer if your hired skipper would have stayed in the channel and you'd been able to contribute how he managed NOT to run aground!:D:hide:

Enjoyed reading about your trip though. Good luck with the repairs, and getting back on the water with your new ride!:popcorn:

Yep, but it would have been even nicer if your hired skipper would have stayed in the channel and you'd been able to contribute how he managed NOT to run aground!:D:hide:

Enjoyed reading about your trip though. Good luck with the repairs, and getting back on the water with your new ride!:popcorn:

Yes, perhaps you can enlighten us a bit on conditions as I still don't understand running aground in Mobile Bay for anyone, much less someone experienced in going there as your captain was. Now, we do all make mistakes but not being able to find the green just isn't a reason plus it was done at speed to cause significant damage. Is there something more such as fatigue at that point or just the kind of mistake even good captains can make?

I do applaud you for apparently taking it well and accepting it.

No fatigue - it was 11 am after a good night at the dock.

We were just entering the bay from the ICW. You're going from a very narrowly defined path to a wide open massive bay. Moreover, you know the channel turns to the left, but without the green there, you don't know where. And if you don't KNOW the green is missing and you line up on the next one, look where it brings you.

Of course one SHOULD be zoomed in on the chartplotter and verifying your position with what you see around you. That didn't happen - he relied on his visual observations only. That's why it's a mistake. Ironically this is a case where having your head in the plotter would have probably prevented an accident, not caused one.

Edit - regarding speed we were coming up from 8 knots to about 14 when we hit. Another mistake to speed up before you're certain where you are.

BD

Attachments

• site.jpg
    site.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Two mistakes
1. Did not believe the display? (If you cant find the green, keep an eye on the red.
2. Too fast for conditions. (Lost)

No fatigue - it was 11 am after a good night at the dock.

We were just entering the bay from the ICW. You're going from a very narrowly defined path to a wide open massive bay. Moreover, you know the channel turns to the left, but without the green there, you don't know where. And if you don't KNOW the green is missing and you line up on the next one, look where it brings you.

Of course one SHOULD be zoomed in on the chartplotter and verifying your position with what you see around you. That didn't happen - he relied on his visual observations only. That's why it's a mistake. Ironically this is a case where having your head in the plotter would have probably prevented an accident, not caused one.

Edit - regarding speed we were coming up from 8 knots to about 14 when we hit. Another mistake to speed up before you're certain where you are.

BD

Thanks for the clarification. Not wanting to beat up the captain, just it's not somewhere I've ever thought of as a problem. As to missing markers, pretty common for ICW boating. Good part is you made it to your destination safe and sound.

As to missing markers, pretty common for ICW boating.

That's an understatement. We saw more markers OFF station than on. I have no idea why he was so fixated on those - I'd come to (probably naievely) rely exclusively on the plotter. At the time he had the chart zoomed too far out to have that marker be useful as he was trying to get the big picture of our route through the bay.

I don't want to beat up on him at this point either. It serves me no purpose. In the moment however I may have felt slightly differently :blush:
BD

Got an update just now from the yard. Adjuster inspected yesterday and confirmed the 2nd bent strut. Shafts were going to be pulled today, or at least started. I'll get another update tomorrow when presumably they will be out and measured. Depending on results they will either be fine, need to be straightened, or need to be replaced.

There are a couple other projects underway as well. The old name has been completely removed from the transom and both hull sides. The inspection of the leaking freshwater tank (from the sender) is scheduled for tomorrow.

BD

Hindsight is 20/20. However it is prudent to check the Local Notice to Mariners for the sections pertinent to a planned route. The current LNM shows Pensacola-Mobile Buoy 107 is "Temporarily Replaced by Unlighted Buoy".

I feel your pain! I've had similar experiences and have never gotten used to seeing my girl on stilts awaiting a 'loosely scheduled" surgery.

FlyWright needed two struts, shafts and props tuned many years ago after running aground. On the bright side, the boat came back to me in MUCH better shape than it was in when I bought her and insurance covered every penny.

I've had similar experiences with other boat insurance repairs...no matter who's fault it was...:hide:

Hope your results are similar. :flowers::thumb:

I feel your pain! I've had similar experiences and have never gotten used to seeing my girl on stilts awaiting a 'loosely scheduled" surgery.

FlyWright needed two struts, shafts and props tuned many years ago after running aground. On the bright side, the boat came back to me in MUCH better shape than it was in when I bought her and insurance covered every penny.

I've had similar experiences with other boat insurance repairs...no matter who's fault it was...:hide:

Hope your results are similar. :flowers::thumb:

That's the way I'm looking at it. Struts aren't wear items but dripless seals and bearings are, so I'll be starting out fresh on those, plus alignment, tuned props etc. Captain paid the deductible so other than the delay and inconvenience, pretty okay for me. Of course now I have a claim, so we'll see what happens to my rates....
BD

That's the way I'm looking at it. Struts aren't wear items but dripless seals and bearings are, so I'll be starting out fresh on those, plus alignment, tuned props etc. Captain paid the deductible so other than the delay and inconvenience, pretty okay for me. Of course now I have a claim, so we'll see what happens to my rates....

BD
I dont know much about hiring a delivery captain, but shouldn't he have insurance. Or is it customary for the boat owner to cover him?

Every agreement I've seen, the boat is insured by the owner and they must ensure that there's a rider for captain and crew. The captain will likely have their own liability insurance for themselves, but not the boat.

BD

I wish I had them replace my 30-yr-old engine mounts at the same time. Seems like it would have been much easier with everything else aft disconnected.

Hopefully you'll get a free bottom job on the boat in the process.

Last edited:
Almost everybody does it...

...who's using their boat and having fun in shallow waters.

Sh!t happens. It's almost like a broken windshield in your car, but bigger.

101148631_2974689102606989_6636539979235328000_o.jpg

Hindsight is 20/20. However it is prudent to check the Local Notice to Mariners for the sections pertinent to a planned route. The current LNM shows Pensacola-Mobile Buoy 107 is "Temporarily Replaced by Unlighted Buoy".

Actually I did download LNM to review on my flight down. The number of navaids offline or moved was at least 9 pages. Moreover the "planned route" was Ft Myers to Mobile on that LNM -basically 80% of the publication. Also they're not organized or described in such a way that it's simple to understand where they are unless you have local knowledge of that vast area (which I don't) or every chart laid out in front of you (I didn't). I think the sheer volume of unmaintained aids makes the notices not much more than an academic exercise.
BD

I dont know much about hiring a delivery captain, but shouldn't he have insurance. Or is it customary for the boat owner to cover him?

Boat owner is responsible for insuring and for 100% of any damage costs.

My insurance questionnaire specifically asks, “Do you have any paid crew?”
I have no idea what would happen if I said ‘yes’

Actually I did download LNM to review on my flight down. The number of navaids offline or moved was at least 9 pages. Moreover the "planned route" was Ft Myers to Mobile on that LNM -basically 80% of the publication. Also they're not organized or described in such a way that it's simple to understand where they are unless you have local knowledge of that vast area (which I don't) or every chart laid out in front of you (I didn't). I think the sheer volume of unmaintained aids makes the notices not much more than an academic exercise.
BD

I totally agree with you. There does not appear to be any organization.
I would think they would list them, maybe north to south or in some other specific order.
Maybe the USCG’s morning report would have helped?

My insurance questionnaire specifically asks, “Do you have any paid crew?”
I have no idea what would happen if I said ‘yes’

For me having paid crew resulted in an endorsement for them which cost $30 to cover them.

For me having paid crew resulted in an endorsement for them which cost $30 to cover them.

Me too. I have a professional captain who does occasional trips for me. I pay him by the trip. All I had to do was send his resume and the $30 into Boat US/Geico.

HOWSOMEVER, the insurer did tell me that while under the captains control, the boat is only insured for liability, not damage to the boat. They would not insure for damage to the boat itself.

BD

The organization of the LNM is pretty straightforward once you get used to it. The pertinent section of the LNM is Federal Aid Discrepancies. They are listed in order of Light List number. Light Lists have two sections - SEACOAST and BAYS, RIVERS AND HARBORS and the ATONs in each section are arranged in this USCG District from east to west. The end of the BAYS, RIVERS AND HARBORS section has the Intracoastal Waterway ATONs by state.

I imagine that the OP had many other issues other than getting into the weeds of navigation when moving a new to him boat a long distance. But I believe it is time well spent to get familiar with the Light List and LNMs in one's area.

In addition, the Aqua Map nav app now regularly updates the ATONs to reflect changes published in the LNM and shows the issue with Pensacola-Mobile Buoy 107. In my humble opinion, this new feature of Aqua Map puts it heads and shoulders above the other nav apps.

Me too. I have a professional captain who does occasional trips for me. I pay him by the trip. All I had to do was send his resume and the $30 into Boat US/Geico.

HOWSOMEVER, the insurer did tell me that while under the captains control, the boat is only insured for liability, not damage to the boat. They would not insure for damage to the boat itself.

That's insane. Does your captain have that bad a record or what? I've never heard of that.

That's insane. Does your captain have that bad a record or what? I've never heard of that.

Nope, he has a clean record, big resume, operates 50 to 80 ft, commercial boats up north in the summer.

Nope, he has a clean record, big resume, operates 50 to 80 ft, commercial boats up north in the summer.

I've never heard of such a thing as you were told. I would have strongly questioned that and switched insurers if they stuck with that. Most of the time insurers want a captain's resume so they feel comfortable insuring with them operating. There's just something amiss in this whole situation. You don't lose coverage by adding an experienced, licensed captain.

Time to find another insurer,:nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom