Gopher Broke is Headin' Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Upstream during spring rains and runoff can be a challenge. I've seen currents hitting 4 to 5 knots during the spring once into the Mississippi. Worst case, flooding and houses floating down. At least you'll have a push down the Ohio. Sounds fun and enjoy the Grand Ol Opry for a night.

Good luck with your trip. Stay conservative with your fuel/range estimates until proven.

I see you are on your way! Good luck and yes, be conservative with fuel til you get an idea of burn rates. And when you are on the TennTom plan a stop at Columbus Marina - I'll have a cold one waiting:thumb:

Made Clearwater today. Seas 2 ft with light winds. Nice run. At our 2200 RPM cruise we burned 28.5 GPH.

A couple challenges. Turns out one of the tubes on the dinghy has split a seam and is now flat. That makes the cover not fit right and so we've made some lashings and adjustments. Also, the alternator on the starboard engine does not seem to be putting anything out - we've been running the gen for a couple hours here and there to keep it topped off with the charger. If we decide not to move tomorrow, I'll see if I can source one around here.

And we may not move tomorrow. Pretty much 6 footers + expected until late afternoon. Quite nice overnight however, so we may end up doing a night run. Still discussing and waiting for morning.

Fleming on one side of us and a Grand Banks on the other - nice neighborhood!

PS - FoxTrot. I hope to take you up on that cold one!
BD

Regarding fuel and range estimates, that's the beauty of this trip for me. I get to plan every day with the best information I have, but then have two professionals with direct experience to confirm or correct me. Plus, I'm getting out in 12 days. Hopefully that's St Louis, but either way, those longer passages aren't really my problem. And, although the current on the Mississippi is real and challenging, it's a very small fraction of this trip. The Tenn-Tom has very little current and comparatively little tow traffic. We'll see, but so far very happy with the decision.
BD

Best of luck with the rest of your trip, skipper. I'll keep the Lakes Great for ya.

BD
Where are the fuel stops between Cairo and Alton?

Go into the sink...

I dont know about you but, I cant reach the sink..... I keep falling off the ladder.
That leaves the shower or a bucket. NO ONE every pees in the shower nor the pool nor the ocean so, use a bucket You can dispose of the contents after you fix the head.

Our supposed fix of the freshwater pump was mistaken. We've now discovered that it was the breaker that was bad. I've borrowed the breaker from the courtesy lights on the staircase to the fly - can't find one anywhere near Clearwater.

Going to run inside up to the Anclote River and pop our head out. If it's tolerable we'll start heading across, and run overnight. Things are supposed to calm down later.

Our supposed fix of the freshwater pump was mistaken. We've now discovered that it was the breaker that was bad. I've borrowed the breaker from the courtesy lights on the staircase to the fly - can't find one anywhere near Clearwater.

Going to run inside up to the Anclote River and pop our head out. If it's tolerable we'll start heading across, and run overnight. Things are supposed to calm down later.

Hardware stores not open on that side?
Google ACE and see what they have in stock

Are you planning on posting your trip home?

I'm sure that a lot of folks would be interested in reading about a 'reverse' 1/2 loop!

Safe travels,

Jim

OKAY, ask me about my ENDLESS 2017 delivery of a GB36 from Orange Beach, AL to Michigan City, IN. No WAY am I ever taking such a slow vessel that way again! 12-knot cruise is my personal minimum for the 200 miles of the Mississippi.

Thanks Miz T,

The installer is coming out tomorrow to hopefully set things straight. Regarding AIS I've installed a AMEC sotdma class B transponder so we should be covered there either way. Tows will show up on the plotter and us on theirs. But radar for the Gulf crossing seems pretty useful.

BD

Useful, yes. However, if viz is good, you'll be OK without. I found it more useful on foggy river mornings.

I don't have the range to do a straight run across. We're heading up to Clearwater, then Carrabelle, then Destin. I hope we don't need the radar! But I just installed it so I definitely want it working. I want to run with it on during the day so that I can learn how to use / read it better. Also, the Doppler function is pretty cool.

If you go into the Moorings at Carrabelle, the biggest boat there is the Eleohn I just dropped off there after a 30-day run from Norfolk.

Good point. Maybe we could. I have 450 gallons on board, and Navionics tells me it's about 430 miles across. If I got 3 times the range vs on plane I could make it.

Yes we've discussed those spots. I burn about 32 gph at cruise, so about 14 hours run time. To make the 250 miles I'd need to make good about 15 knots. Definitely possible, but there is a fuel delivery option too. Or of course we can go slower, but at some point we need to make way against the current, so...

Should be an interesting trip.
BD

There is now fuel at St Andrews Marina in Panama City if you feel the need to stop there. Little if any transient mooring, but I had a couple of spare 16X50 foot slips out behind the house a few miles off the ICW. Put this number into your cell Rich Gano 850-596-3824.

I don't have the range to do a straight run across. We're heading up to Clearwater, then Carrabelle, then Destin. I hope we don't need the radar! But I just installed it so I definitely want it working. I want to run with it on during the day so that I can learn how to use / read it better. Also, the Doppler function is pretty cool.

Think sprint-walk. Pull into Clearwater and re-fill to figure your usage at whatever you run there to from FM. Plan for running X hours at a good clip when water conditions allow and y hours at "hull" speed. Don't get greedy and use more x hours than you should if it looks smooth all the way.

Upstream during spring rains and runoff can be a challenge. I've seen currents hitting 4 to 5 knots during the spring once into the Mississippi. Worst case, flooding and houses floating down. At least you'll have a push down the Ohio. Sounds fun and enjoy the Grand Ol Opry for a night.

Indeed you are soo right. Hey, there's a push for a couple hundred miles down the Tennessee.

Hoppies Marina mile 158 on the Mississippi.

I believe Hoppie's is closed but the fuel is at Kidd Oil Company and they normally fuel tugs, not much of a facility. Plus someone stated they weren't open on weekends, but I don't know. Best to call. 573-335-8160.

As of last summer I believe Kidd's is no longer fueling pleasure craft so definitely call first before planning on it. Also, as of last year Hoppies was open for docking but no fuel, things may have changed there too.

We're considering that stretch next year possibility and I figure I will have to be able to make from Paducah to Alton without a fuel stop. I'll be following to see what you find. There may be an option for a fuel truck up the Kaskaskia river but I haven't looked into that yet. Good luck!!

For planning purposes, Alton to Paducah is 219 nautical miles. If you can make that with currents factored in, you'll be good to go. Having an intermediate fuel stop available might allow running faster.

Sounds fun and enjoy the Grand Ol Opry for a night.
Um, pretty sure the opry is still in Nashville...That'd be about a 175 mile detour up the Cumberland river from Green Turtle Bay. Doesn't sound like the OP is planning any sightseeing on this trip! :rofl:

As of last summer I believe Kidd's is no longer fueling pleasure craft so definitely call first before planning on it. Also, as of last year Hoppies was open for docking but no fuel, things may have changed there too.

We're considering that stretch next year possibility and I figure I will have to be able to make from Paducah to Alton without a fuel stop. I'll be following to see what you find. There may be an option for a fuel truck up the Kaskaskia river but I haven't looked into that yet. Good luck!!

Green Turtle Bay does an excellent job of providing barrels if you need them.

Green Turtle Bay does an excellent job of providing barrels if you need them.

I would think fuel bladders would be less hassle than barrels. After emptying the bladder(s), fold them up. Investigate renting one or two smaller ones. Barrels or bladders would make one heck of a day tank. I saw a guy leave this marina, in maybe a 30ft open cockpit boat, leaving with a bladder 12 feet long in the cockpit, headed to some place on the east coast of South American for a round trip visit.

Remember this, Mississippi may very well be a flood stage so the current increase and fuel needs will be significant. Dont forget, the probability of increased trash in the river too.

I think in this case, the time to start is dictated by the flood stage and the current.
I wish you great success. Keep us informed, file a float plan with a couple of folks and consider "In reach" too.

Last edited:
He does have an inreach as noted in post #6. I just checked his progress and it looks like the Mississippi will be no problem based on fuel. He's close to 300 miles from his departure from Clearwater and still heading north. Hope it was a smooth crossing and give us an update when you get some rest!

If it were me I would plan to do the bay crossing as near to the longest day as possible to give you maximum daylight. I would also take 2 plastic 45 gallon drums of diesel as insurance. Maybe I'm over cautious.
There's an art to cruising up rivers against the current to make best speed/economy so get your captain to show you how, its all part of the learning curve.
Your a lucky guy and I envy you your trip and would love to 'do' the loop someday if my lotto ticket comes good.
Enjoy every moment making fabulous memories and the warmest of Irish wishes on your trip of a lifetime.

I would think fuel bladders would be less hassle than barrels..
Years ago my brother was taking his 42' Californian Sport Fisher from San Diego to his home in San Carlos, Mexico. He managed to obtain 2 Coke barrels (Plastic) from a distributor & strapped them down in each corner of the boat's cockpit. With a hand pump and a short hose he was able to effortlessly transfer fuel from the barrels to his saddle tank deck fills.(2) when he arrived at his destination, he pumped the barrels dry & stored them in his detached workshop to be used on future long distance voyages. They worked well as the boat continued with an additional 30K miles under its keel throughout Baja & Central America.

Edit: He believed that barrels were much easier to handle and store than bladders.

Last edited:
Years ago my brother was taking his 42' Californian Sport Fisher from San Diego to his home in San Carlos, Mexico. He managed to obtain 2 Coke barrels (Plastic) from a distributor & strapped them down in each corner of the boat's cockpit. With a hand pump and a short hose he was able to effortlessly transfer fuel from the barrels to his saddle tank deck fills.(2) when he arrived at his destination, he pumped the barrels dry & stored them in his detached workshop to be used on future long distance voyages. They worked well as the boat continued with an additional 30K miles under its keel throughout Baja & Central America.

Edit: He believed that barrels were much easier to handle and store than bladders.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom