Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #441
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Unusual times indeed. The last time I remember this was in '67 and '72. Just hunker down and relax. There are a couple of marinas at Scottsboro. You might try to give them a call.
Wow, Don, if this is comparable to '72, it must be pretty bad indeed. (I'm in Chicago at the moment missing all this.). I was working at Miller Bros in Eastgate in '72 and we were flooded out. But that was before TVA built the levee. Stay safe!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #442
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Wow, Don, if this is comparable to '72, it must be pretty bad indeed. (I'm in Chicago at the moment missing all this.). I was working at Miller Bros in Eastgate in '72 and we were flooded out. But that was before TVA built the levee. Stay safe!
Flooding in town is not near as bad as '72. A lot of things have been done to mitigate flood damage since then. Plus we haven't had as much rain. I was referring to the water building up behind the bridge piers. They are really releasing a lot of water from the dam. There is a visible low place next to the sides of the piers where the fast water is speeding on by a foot or two off the pier. I don't see that often, and I live one block from the bridge.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #443
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Willaway was at our marina today Paris Landing State Park
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #444
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Well I'm tucked away until the flood waters pass. You wouldn't know there was anything wrong from the view here.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1163346168.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #445
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Willaway was at our marina today Paris Landing State Park
They are very nice people. And a very nice boat.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #446

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Just read thru your whole thread! What A GREAT documentary of your journey!
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #447
Guru

Here's the skinny as to what to expect on the Mighty Tennessee River for the next couple of weeks. Hope the video plays.

TVA Managing Tennessee River To Reduce Flooding
Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Tennessee Valley Authority is working to move large volumes of water, as much as one million gallons per second in some places, along the Tennessee River system to reduce potentially damaging flooding from record rainfall.

TVA prepared for this event by lowering reservoir levels on the main channel of the Tennessee River beginning the last week of June, leaving some areas below normal for this time of year.

However, extreme rainfall and runoff in the middle and eastern portions of the Tennessee Valley over the past week are now forcing TVA to spill or release excess water from 10 of 20 tributary dams and all nine main channel dams along the 652-mile Tennessee River.

“TVA’s management of the river system is working,” said Chuck Bach, general manager of TVA River Operations. “TVA will spill only when all available hydroelectric-generating turbines are operating at full capacity and additional water still needs to be moved.”

Spilling along the dams is expected to last one to two weeks. As this water moves through the system, agricultural crops planted in floodplain areas along the Tennessee River in Northern Alabama and West Tennessee will be impacted by higher than normal water elevations.

“Some crop fields near the banks of the Tennessee River will see up to six to eight feet of water,” Mr. Bach said. “Crops along the Tennessee River on Kentucky Reservoir will be impacted the most.”

Because of flooding and high water flows on the Ohio and upper Mississippi rivers, water released out of the Tennessee River system into the Ohio River at Kentucky Dam have been reduced. TVA is in close contact with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which manages the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and when flood stages there drop, more will be allowed to be discharged from Kentucky Dam.

Within the Tennessee River system, there have been reports of flooding in Chattanooga; Whitesburg and Florence, AL, and Savannah, TN., near Pickwick Reservoir.

Some recreational areas along the Tennessee River have been temporarily closed because of high water. Recreation areas on Douglas and Watauga reservoirs in Tennessee and Wilson reservoir near Florence, AL, are among those most impacted.

“We advise using extreme caution when near the dams, rivers and tributaries,” Mr. Bach said. “Safety is the number one priority, and river currents and speed are unpredictable.”

Watauga Reservoir, near Elizabethton, TN, set a record lake elevation on Monday at 1,967 feet above sea level about a foot higher than the previous record set last May.

A forecast of additional rain later in the week could add one or two more inches of water into the already-flooded system.

The Tennessee River watershed has one of the highest annual rainfall totals of any watershed in the United States, averaging 51 inches a year. So far in 2013, more than 40 inches of rain has fallen in the Valley.

TVA manages the Tennessee River and its many tributaries to meet vital public needs in six key areas: navigation, flood damage reduction, power production, water quality and supply, recreation and land use.

July 9th, 2013 - TVA Dam Spilling - YouTube
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #448
Veteran Member

City: Treasure Coast, Florida
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: 1980 42' Hatteras LRC
Moonstruck: I was at Watauga Lake Monday. I've never seen it so high. The rain continues as well. I would think they'll be releasing lots of water as long as the rains continue.
David: I found this thread today. Wow, quite a trip. Maybe the captain and I will try to bring our boat up the Tennessee one day. We're still pretty new at this stuff. Hope the rest of your trip is smooth.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #449
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
David-
Goose Pond as a good place to rest up and wait out the floods as I am sure you are already aware by now. Definitely fill up down there on diesel before you go further up river- that will be the cheapest diesel you see compared to anything around chattanooga. I took on 200 gallons or so at Shady Grove up around mile marker 485 or so (can't remember exact mile) which is up above downtown Chatt on chickamauga- they were at the bargain price of $3.90 a few weeks ago when we did that. Other marinas were $4.40 a gallon or more. I've gotten diesel @ goose pond multiple times and have never had any issues with quality of their fuel. I am going to shoot you a PM with an email contact you can send an email to for the corps of engineers to be placed on their email list for navigational notices (lock closures, etc.). It will be helpful for you.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #450
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly57 View Post
Moonstruck: I was at Watauga Lake Monday. I've never seen it so high. The rain continues as well. I would think they'll be releasing lots of water as long as the rains continue.
David: I found this thread today. Wow, quite a trip. Maybe the captain and I will try to bring our boat up the Tennessee one day. We're still pretty new at this stuff. Hope the rest of your trip is smooth.
Thank you and if I can be of any help let me know
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #451
Guru

Ill be on the move again today.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #452
Guru

Move canceled. Chickamuaga dam closed til Thursday.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #453
Veteran Member

City: GA
Vessel Name: Soggy Dollar
Vessel Model: 480 Sea Ray motor yacht
You should go up and spend a few nights at the Marinemax docks right in downtown Chattanooga. Great city and the docks are two blocks from downtown. They have free busses that you can get anywhere. Chat is only about seven miles from the lock. It was open this weekend, they may be doing repairs or letting water out still.
soggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #454
Guru

I'm only paying $25 a nite here and marine max wants $53. So ill stay there one night but ill leave here tommorrow
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #455
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Move canceled. Chickamuaga dam closed til Thursday.
David, when you get to Chickamauga Dam, stay in the marked channel. On the river side of the lock wall are huge lime stone boulders all in that area. They are put there to keep the fast water from eroding away at the base of the dam. They will play hell on props.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #456
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

David, when you get to Chickamauga Dam, stay in the marked channel. On the river side of the lock wall are huge lime stone boulders all in that area. They are put there to keep the fast water from eroding away at the base of the dam. They will play hell on props.
Thank you, I really appreciate the local knowledge. Both on the water and the history around it. We can't thank you enough...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #457
Guru

Not a good day startin out. About four miles into the trip I smelled something and when I went below there was smoke comin outta the floor. I'm like thinkin the things on fire. When I lifted up the floor I couldn't see a thing and the cabin filled up quick. I couldn't tell if it was just steam or both. I could smell plastic. I called ahead to a house boat I'm following and he turned around and came back. After I shut everything down I got a couple dc fans blowing on the engine along with the blower. I came out and tied up to the house boat We went down and it was steam. After a bit we could see the overflow bottle on the starboard engine was a bit deformed there was antifreeze all over. I feel a little better that there wasn't a fire but... No hoses were busted, checked the strainer an it was clear. So I had them move on and I was going to limp back to the marina on one. It was really hot down there. But after a couple miles I decided to drop the hook and check the impeller. It was a little warm but I got it opened up and sure enough it was in pieces. Again I was a little relieved to find the problem and know its an easy fix but....is there any damage...got it changed but in 1.5 gal of 50/50 antifreeze, which I will never buy again. The full strength stuff is about the same and takes a little less space. I keep distiller water for batteries so I put 2 gal of that in two. There wasn't any in there when I started cause empty it takes 4 gal.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #458
Guru

Fired up and within a little bit I had water in the exhaust. I'm under way again. Then I hit a floating tree while I was below checking the engine fore leaks after running a bit. Made a scary noise but I think I'm fine. There's no vibration. So I'm on my way again. Wow what a scare. I thought it was a fire. I got the engines shut down right away and moved the floor board back slow thinkin flames were gonna blast out.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #459
Guru

Very lucky to have caught that before the engine seized.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #460
Guru

Now an hour later running 2400 Rpms and things are cool
Attached Thumbnails
image-4153984571.jpg   image-1758418669.jpg