Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
Guru

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
ICW St. Andrews Sound

I’m headed south and noticed on the charts that there is an alternative route at St. Andrews Sound to avoids the outside, which can be rough at times. active Captain has about a dozen hazard notes on this route relating to skinny water.

Has anyone taken this inside route?

John
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Took it a few times, but prefer going outside from Brunswick to St. Marys. If you're able to play the tides, it's a big help. Jekyll Creek is skinny, we can't do it at low tide with our 5 ft draft, but mid tide or higher is OK.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #3

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
We went aground going through there twice in one day, the first time was in Floyds cut, not really aground but had to use our Honda 15 outboard, because our Suzuki 200 was dragging in the mud, then after we made it through Floyd’s cut we managed to meet up with a sand bar in St. Andrews sound proper, and that was in a C Dory 25. The only other time we touched bottom while we were doing our loop, was in the ICW in New Jersey. Always soft though. We used Floyds cut because St Andrews sound was so snotty that day. Any way made it.
Eric
helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have avoided it because only a couple times in my passings has St Andrews been that bad.

But from all the reports I have seen, I would only take it on the last 3 or so of a rising tide. You should have enough water by then and if you do go aground...you have more water coming in and time to wriggle free.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I took it once years ago when the seas were really kicking up on the sound side route. At the time, I didn't notice any particularly frightening water depths but decided enduring the rough water for a short time was better than the longer route the detour took.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Thanks guys, St. Andrew’s Sound was “good” today with only a short 3 foot sea on the beam. The plague of trawlers. The was with a 5 to 10 kt breeze from the north and slack (actually I really never noticed slack, it was running out when I started and was running in after I turned back in) low tide. All the other sounds had about a six inch sea the last two days. Anyway I hit at low tide so I thought that the lack of flow against the swells might help so I gave it a try. Will actually try to hit at high tide next time to try out the other route. Everything on a boat is easier the second time.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #7

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
For us St Andrews sound was only followed by a plague of sand gnats at Jekyl Island and Brunswick. Beautiful place but holy mackerel those are some mean bugs
helm is offline   Reply With Quote