Florida to Brazil (Rio)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vessel Name
---
As a sailor i know, go to the cape verde, buy a beer, and head for Recife.

As a (may be) Motorboater i am not sure, fight against the currents on the west coast till Recife and need day and night watch for fisherman or do the same as sailors would do?

I think this is also Almao's problem.

Last edited:
I have sailed in the north of Brazil and these flat fishing boats they use there are impossible to see at night. And there are lots of them and they don't stay close to shore either, an accident waiting to happen.

My post was based on the plans member "Almao" (why this man call himself GERMAN?) have to bring his boat from Florida to Rio, this project worries me.

I think I gave here a motivated idea about this project;

How to NOT destroy your boat......

Please give comments about this suggestion.

My 2 Centavos.

Last edited:
Your suggestion makes a lot of sense but it will still be a long, boring and difficult trip with very little to see or do along the way. But why bring a boat to Rio in the first place? Import duties are very high so unless it is a Brazilian boat the boat can only stay in Brazil for a limited time.

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense but it will still be a long, boring and difficult trip with very little to see or do along the way. But why bring a boat to Rio in the first place? Import duties are very high so unless it is a Brazilian boat the boat can only stay in Brazil for a limited time.

I asked "Almao" already how he want to bring in the boat to Brazil but he never answered. I sold my Bavaria 49 in Europe because of this import problem.

Still I hope he will tell his solution.

BUT but... we live in Brazil, and in Brazil thinks are possible that are not possible ;-)))))

Last edited:
Maybe if you are Brazilian with very good connections but I don't think it would work for us.

I'm importing my boat. A lot of taxes and work

The total cost is about twice, or little more the US cost, more the trip cost, but what to do? I love boats and I love cruising :)

The total cost is about twice, or little more the US cost, more the trip cost, but what to do? I love boats and I love cruising :)

IF the boat were cruising , not owned by a Brazil subject , how long could a cruising permit be issued for?

IF it were sold , outside of Brazil, to another non Brasil owner , could another cruising permit be had?

Uruguay is the Switzerland of SA , perhaps own , or dock it there?

The Brazilian law just accept new boats as importation.
The foreign just can stay 6 months, must go to international water and can return.
I'm not sure about Uruguaian law, but I think ypu can dock there a foreign boat.

The foreign just can stay 6 months, must go to international water and can return.

Sell your boat to a foreign person and pay to have him leave & return, then buy it back before he returns to wherever.

Going out to international waters 2x a year should not be that big a hassle.

It's not so easy, Brazil has 200 miles as international waters and the closer country is uruguay thats far about 1,300 miles.
Nobody can buy an used boat and pay the import taxes for it here

It's not so easy, Brazil has 200 miles as international waters and the closer country is uruguay thats far about 1,300 miles.
Nobody can buy an used boat and pay the import taxes for it here

Park the boat in Suriname. Flight Belem - Paramaribo are cheap. Andddd they speak Dutch overthere...;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom