Old 04-17-2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Finally Moving Again! Edition 2022

I am creating this thread to cover the continuation of our travels, which I wrote about during 2021 in the thread below:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ain-59850.html

As before, I have created this thread in order to occasionally post marinas, locations and curiosities that moved me to take a picture along the way. It is not really my intent to create a travel-log or full-blown picture log.

This thread is dedicated to our beloved Ocicat, Donatello, who passed away unexpectedly the day before we were scheduled to leave our over-winter port, Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, France. Donatello has been our traveling and boating companion since 2010. He actually liked being on the boat, as every day was a new source of stimulation (ducks, geese, birds, smells and sounds, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
Donatello1..JPG   Donatello3.jpg   Donatello4.jpg  
Currently in: Positano, ITALY
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:48 AM   #2

City: Here and there
I’m so sorry to hear of Donatello’s passing. He looks like a great cat and crew member. You have our deepest sympathy. We lost two valued companions while living aboard and it’s been crushing sadness but, we have such fond memories as we move forward. Good luck with your travels.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Narsaq
Vessel Name: ALICE H.
Vessel Model: SANMAR LNG TUG
I lost my Oci - named Cody in 1996 when she was only a year old. We believe a coyote got her - when we lived in Wyoming. She loved sleeping on the dashboard of my truck and chasing the windshield wipers.
ghostrider454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #4

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
I have been subsequently informed two days ago by our mutual friend Pilou of the unexpected passing of Donatello; I am very sad for you ; also I feel very confused; it is not my intention to comment on the possible reasons however from a distance Pilou’s views about it made sense to me

I should have written you earlier but I am experiencing real communication challenges; for more than a month I’m currently serving as surgeon in a humanitarian mission carried on in Moldavia somewhere near Moldavian-Ukrainian border to face humanitarian consequences of Russia-Ukraine conflict by providing medical assistance for thousands of refugees in need; Tens of thousands lost people here trying to communicate simultaneously via cell phones and local internet connections clog up the GSM system thereby take down the remote area’s communications for most of the time ;

With deepest sympathy
Old 04-17-2022, 09:03 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
I am creating this thread to cover the continuation of our travels, which I wrote about during 2021 in the thread below:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ain-59850.html

As before, I have created this thread in order to occasionally post marinas, locations and curiosities that moved me to take a picture along the way. It is not really my intent to create a travel-log or full-blown picture log.

This thread is dedicated to our beloved Ocicat, Donatello, who passed away unexpectedly the day before we were scheduled to leave our over-winter port, Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, France. Donatello has been our traveling and boating companion since 2010. He actually liked being on the boat, as every day was a new source of stimulation (ducks, geese, birds, smells and sounds, etc.)
Yes, sincere condolences Scott, and thank you for posting those photos. He was indeed a nice cat - and truly potty-trained too. Wow.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 AM   #6
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
A fine looking companion.

FWIW, below is the tribute Mathew Flinders wrote of his cat Trim, another seafaring moggy, in 1809.

"The best and most illustrious of his race
The most affectionate of friends,
faithful of servants,
and best of creatures
He made the tour of the globe, and a voyage to Australia,
which he circumnavigated, and was ever the
delight and pleasure of his fellow voyagers"
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:06 AM   #7
Guru

Thank you Porgy, Ghostrider, La Mer, Peter B and Andy for the kind words and condolences. We are doing our best to look forward and move on. We find we have to change our behaviour too. For example, we can put the toilet seat down, because there is no more cat to use it. Doors that used to have to remain open a cat-width can now be closed, etc., etc.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:09 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
I should have written you earlier but I am experiencing real communication challenges; for more than a month I’m currently serving as surgeon in a humanitarian mission carried on in Moldavia somewhere near Moldavian-Ukrainian border to face humanitarian consequences of Russia-Ukraine conflict by providing medical assistance for thousands of refugees in need; Tens of thousands lost people here trying to communicate simultaneously via cell phones and local internet connections clog up the GSM system thereby take down the remote area’s communications for most of the time ;

With deepest sympathy

Quite fantastic that you are able to serve in this way, La Mer! A truly miserable and depressing situation. Quite unthinkable to be without communication services in this day and age...
Old 04-19-2022, 03:16 AM   #9
Guru

After only three ports with our new passerelle, I can already say that our Mediterranean trip is being greatly enhanced by this device. No more risking of life, limb and iPhone when getting on and off the boat!
For any GL33 owners interested in more about this passerelle solution, you can see more detail about it in this thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...n-52956-5.html
CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE
Attached Thumbnails
Passerelle11.jpg  
Old 04-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
Guru

An overview of our general trip plan from France to Malta, where we will leave the boat for the winter. At this point we plan to take in Sardinia with a 10-day driving tour on our return (e.g. with a rental car)
Attached Thumbnails
Trip1.jpg  
Old 04-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Anxiously following your journey. Sure you'll have a great time. Can't wait to read as you travel, see you in places we did visit and in places we didn't. Even for those we visited it's always exciting to see them through the eyes of others.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Destiny
Vessel Model: Mainship 40 M/Y & Trojan 10.8 Sportfish
Ok, I'll ask if no one else will. How on God's Blue earth did you get a cat to use the toilet?!?!?!?
AquaDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I mean Head
Old 04-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDestiny View Post
Ok, I'll ask if no one else will. How on God's Blue earth did you get a cat to use the toilet?!?!?!?
Wifey B: I thought it was cool they left the seat up for Donetello and wondered had it been a female cat would it have been down. I'm sure Donetello was such a good companion and still get sad over his death, but sure they have so many great memories.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:55 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:

We've never had a litter box on board. Though we keep some cat litter stowed that could be used with a temporary cardboard box in case we found ourselves in rough seas for too long. In ten years of cruising with Donatello, however, we never had to use the litter. He knew the routine. He would be fed upon arising. He would use the toilet within an hour or so after that...and then he was good for a day at sea.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.passagemaker.com/lifesty...o-use-the-head

Budget 3 months for this...and it should be done at home. It helps a LOT if you have more than one bathroom at home. I would not try to train the cat to use the toilet for the first time on the boat - I think the motion would be too distracting. Once trained at home, however, the skills are portable. Boat, hotels, cat-sitter homes, etc :-)

This is the book we used to learn all about it when we started:
https://www.amazon.com/How-Toilet-Tr...p%2C152&sr=1-1
Old 04-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I am impressed, surely you are a wizard. I'm still a dog person, but nonetheless impressed. And sorry for your loss.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
I am impressed, surely you are a wizard. I'm still a dog person, but nonetheless impressed. And sorry for your loss.
Thank you for the condolences. Most boaters with pets seem to be dog people. I have to say, however, that cats seem much more practical. No need to ferry them ashore several times a day!
Old 04-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #18

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Quite fantastic that you are able to serve in this way, La Mer! A truly miserable and depressing situation. Quite unthinkable to be without communication services in this day and age...

Thanks ScottC, I’m just doing what I believe in ; some here suggest that Moldavia’s sovereign borders would be next step of Russian expansion, quite sure of that at the moment but tomorrow is another day; apologies for the transgression

May you have fair winds and following seas
Old 04-23-2022, 03:01 AM   #19
Guru

Port Fréjus

A beautiful, top-notch, modern port adjoining a fascinating medieval village with extensive Roman archaeological ruins.

(Second picture below is not mine. I borrowed it from the port's website.)
Attached Thumbnails
Frejus1.jpg   Frejus2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #20
Guru

Imperia, Italy is a city that was created in 1923 by combining two neighboring cities -- Oneglia and Porto Maurizio. As such, Porto d'Imperia is composed of two harbours. The less-commercial and more yacht-friendly harbor is Porto Maurizio.
The pictures below are of Porto Maurizio. The second picture shows us in the lower left corner, across from super-yacht row.
The Bougainvillea are actually part of a WWII memorial.

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE
Attached Thumbnails
PM1.jpg   PM2.jpg   PM3.jpg