Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #41
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Lerici

1) Lerici harbor in its entirety. Focus is mostly on sailing.
2) Lerici harbor. We were the only guests this week. Not so busy this early in the season! Erixx Sailing Club agreed to let us stay, even though we left our sails at home…
3) Night view of the fort at Lerici from our boat at Erixx Sailing Club. Fort dates from 1152.
4&5) Small car for parking-challenged towns
6&7) Museum exhibit inside the fort contained various fish sculptures. This one, I found unusual, as the fish “bones” are actually piano components.

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE
Attached Thumbnails
L1.jpg   L2.jpg   L3.jpg   L4.jpg   L5.jpg  

L6.jpg   L7.jpg  
Old 05-17-2022, 09:25 AM   #42

City: Ajaccio
Vessel Name: Floridita
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Nice ScottC, do you plan to come in Corsica ?
farniente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #43
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
The picture below was taken on our drive from Sweden to France in order to meet up with our boat. Specifically the location was Germany. From a timeline perspective, it should have been the start of this thread. I could not bring myself to start this thread with this topic, however. But it does deserve comment -- so here it is. My, oh my. What has our world come to when a urinal requires a reboot!?!???
Even worse, it's a racist urinal to boot!
Old 05-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Long ago I did a business trip to Sydney, but we do hope to come boat in both Australia and New Zealand one day. Either charter or ship a boat to the area. We are lovers of the countries and often feel close to Australians in attitude and lifestyle.
Scott, please excuse tiny wee thread hijack.

Brett, I have often thought the definition of heaven for a keen boater who loved to see the world would be to have, say a Nordhavn, or similarly seaworthy vessel downunder, and to do the whole coasts of Aus and NZ, and especially spend some time at Stewart Island, the often 'forgotten' third island of NZ, which is still a veritable paradise. Some might well call it NZ's best kept secret. I've gotta get back there one day..!
Old 05-20-2022, 03:39 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by farniente View Post
Nice ScottC, do you plan to come in Corsica ?
We plan to be in Bastia - Port Toga 23-29 May. Expect we will rent a car and drive around the island for a few days, using our boat in Port Toga as a base.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:43 AM   #46

Ok, if you sail on the west coast, perhaps you'll see us !
Old 05-29-2022, 03:41 AM   #47
Guru

Viareggio

Viareggio is a large, fairly modern marina at a beach resort location with some stunning early 20th century beach-resort architecture. Deco.

Viareggio is also the home to a number of well-known super yacht builders, including Benetti.

1)A portion of the Benetti Yacht Yard

2&3) Gorgeous! A vintage Riva refit in progress at the Benetti docks (don’t know if it’s actually Benetti doing the work, however). Saw work in progress even when walking by at 10pm on a Sunday. They must be behind schedule…

4&5) Oops! Departing Viareggio, we saw this large yacht, along with some sort of assist or salvage vessel. Apparently it had run aground on one of the infamous shifting sandbars. My current Navionics chart indicated ~15 meters depth where this yacht was aground, but also indicated risk of varying depths due to sand bar changes. Moral? Go slow in such situations. He clearly didn’t. The salvage/assist vessel was spinning the yacht around, trying to work it free. Hmmm…I hope there were no stabilizing fins protruding from the hull! An interesting side point is that all the windows were covered with plywood or something similar. My guess is that this was in case a storm arose before tow/salvage operations were complete, but I really have no idea…

6) Rosemary growing outside the marina office. Rosemary grows wild and in abundance. The plants can become very large. We've even seen hedgerows 3-4 feet tall of rosemary!

Attached Thumbnails
VR1.jpg   VR2.jpg   VR3.jpg   VR4.jpg   VR5.jpg  

VR6.jpg  
Old 05-29-2022, 03:56 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by farniente View Post
Ok, if you sail on the west coast, perhaps you'll see us !
Hi Olivier, we did manage to get to Ajaccio on one of our driving tour days. Our driving tour of the island was not so well planned. As such, we ended up in Ajaccio at 21:00 having to eat a quick dinner, a quick walk around the historic portion of the port, followed by a 3-hour drive back to Bastia. Got back to Bastia in the middle of the night. On the plus side there were not many people driving over the mountain roads at that hour of the night.

Ajaccio port area is stunning. Before arriving in Ajaccio, I thought we would walk around a few docks and find a nice CHB34 trawler! Upon arrival, we discovered how simply HUGE the port area is.

Corsica is certainly a beautiful Island, but given the distances, traffic and terrain, one cannot go anywhere "fast" by car (unless driving like a Corsican). If I were to plan a trip here again, I would make the following change in strategy: Increase time in Corsica from 8 days to 2 weeks. Tour around the island on our boat, instead of by rental car. It's a lot of work and tedious to try to tour the entire island by car. I think touring the sights with our boat would be much more relaxing. Maybe a rental car for one day to take a drive into the mountains.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:26 AM   #49

Yes, it's a good way to visist with a boat, most of the beautiful places are not reachable by road (luckly).
Another way is the trail bike tour, lot of trails to reach the old genoveses towers, but you must be a good enduro driver....
Your right, the drivers are crazy, and the ate a lot of animals on the roads.
So sad, I was at ancorage at the south ou the bay ! (Cacalu)
See you next time !
Old 05-29-2022, 10:30 AM   #50
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Viareggio is a large, fairly modern marina at a beach resort location with some stunning early 20th century beach-resort architecture. Deco.

Viareggio is also the home to a number of well-known super yacht builders, including Benetti.
We loved Viareggio and all the nearby area. In addition to Benetti, builders there include Sanlorenzo, Mangusta, and Fipa (with Maiora and AB and CBI-Navi), plus large yards like Francesco Del Carlo and Codecasa and that's just the ones I remember. We were there once in early 2020 and four times last year. Took delivery there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #51
Guru

Finally getting around to posting some pictures of Pisa, even though it might seem to be a bit of a touristy cliché.
We first saw Pisa in the early 90’s, but it was on a grey day during the winter. Now, after many years of tourist-oriented improvements and fine weather, we decided to visit again.
Truly awesome architecture and very interesting stories behind preserving it over the centuries. One can climb the tower again!

Attached Thumbnails
P1jpg.jpg   P2.jpg   P3.jpg   P4.jpg   P5.jpg  

P6.jpg   P7.jpg   P8.jpg   P9.jpg   P10.jpg  

Old 06-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We loved Viareggio and all the nearby area. In addition to Benetti, builders there include Sanlorenzo, Mangusta, and Fipa (with Maiora and AB and CBI-Navi), plus large yards like Francesco Del Carlo and Codecasa and that's just the ones I remember. We were there once in early 2020 and four times last year. Took delivery there.

We actually spent the first couple of nights wandering around the "wrong" side of town. Local and a bit "gritty". We dined on local dishes at astonishingly cheap prices. We only realized how cheap when we discovered the "right" side of town a bit later, where it cost twice as much to dine on far less interesting and far less tasty dishes. We liked the fact that on the "wrong" side of town, decent tasting table wine often cost less than, for example a Coca Cola !!! Not much more expensive than diesel...
Old 06-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #53
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
We actually spent the first couple of nights wandering around the "wrong" side of town. Local and a bit "gritty". We dined on local dishes at astonishingly cheap prices. We only realized how cheap when we discovered the "right" side of town a bit later, where it cost twice as much to dine on far less interesting and far less tasty dishes. We liked the fact that on the "wrong" side of town, decent tasting table wine often cost less than, for example a Coca Cola !!! Not much more expensive than diesel...
Sounds like you need to change your definitions of "wrong" and "right" to me!
Old 06-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #54
Guru

Marina di Grosseto

Seen -- and eaten -- in Marina di Grosseto.
Proscuitto crudo e mozzarella di bufala.
So simple. So tasty!
Attached Thumbnails
MDG1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #55
Guru

Byob

Bring your own bottle!

Saw this device at the local supermarket in Marina di Grosseto.
€1.99/liter, filling your own bottles with table wine. It could very well be ok, but I have not tried (yet?)...

Attached Thumbnails
MDG2.jpg   MDG3.jpg  
Old 06-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Bring your own bottle!

Saw this device at the local supermarket in Marina di Grosseto.
€1.99/liter, filling your own bottles with table wine. It could very well be ok, but I have not tried (yet?)...

Recently, pre-Covid, when in one of those small seaside towns near the Civitavecchia Airport we came across the same offering in the grocery store, but alas, like you, we weren't brave and bought a much more expensive (maybe €5) wine that was disappointing.
I hope you are brave and will report back.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #57
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Scott, it looks like you are having a great time cruising in those beautiful places. It makes me a bit envious - envious, not jealous. Enjoy..! That tower does indeed, lean, doesn't it..? Quite a bit in fact. Loving those photos..!
Old 06-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Scott, it looks like you are having a great time cruising in those beautiful places. It makes me a bit envious - envious, not jealous. Enjoy..! That tower does indeed, lean, doesn't it..? Quite a bit in fact. Loving those photos..!

Indeed, it does lean quite a bit. Not just an optical illusion.

They spent many years on a slow process to stop the leaning without "breaking" it. It was successful. The lean was even reversed a bit.

You can climb up to the top and when descending the steps, at certain points you are putting your foot on the next step "down", but you are almost going "up". Really weird.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:11 PM   #59
Guru

Isola di Capraia

Isola di Capraia (NB - NOT Capri!)

We stopped for a few nights at the island of Capraia on our way to Corsica.
A very pleasant place with an active harbor, nice restaurants and a lot of nature.
The bastion tower in the last picture below was built in the 1500’s. Today, it is the town library!
Attached Thumbnails
CP1.jpg   CP2.jpg   CP3.jpg   CP4.jpg   CP5.jpg  

CP6.jpg  
Old 06-06-2022, 05:58 PM   #60
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Really appreciate you sharing this thread. The Ligurian Coast is on my bucket list.