Dismal Swamp Update?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Fast

Vessel Name
Knot Fast
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH37
Hello from Oriental, NC.
We are looping north and would like to cruise the Dismal Swamp later this week. We heard there are recent problems with debris and depth. I am mostly concerned about logs and debris. If someone with a recent Dismal Swamp passage could share their experience, it would be a great help!

Thanks,
David & Lynn
GH37 Knot Fast

We traveled South last November through the Dismal. No problems. We have been through 5 times. We always feel a few bumps but nothing major. We draft 3.5' and have very little prop protection. Your N37 won't have any problems. I recently read about someone who had problems but they drafted over 5 feet. I wouldn't take a 5' draft boat though unless it has great prop protection.

Dismal Swamp

For current information on the Dismal Swamp Canal, contact the Army Corps of Engineers. They maintain it and we have found them very helpful.

Wifey B: What they said, but I'm betting it's still dismal and it's still swamp and so relieved you didn't call it great. That said, one day we'll go through but likely in a rib or something. I just don't know about going through with drafts of 5' and more. :confused:

Passed thru last November with a 4.5 draft. The water did seem to be high from recent rain and only bumped once. Great trip, glad we made it.

We went thru last Sept/ Oct in a cat 20 beam, 3'9" draft. We hit 4 logs? and had been only the second vessel to pass thru that day. It was beautiful and there are some great stops along the way, i you go and enjoy nature and walking, and a good restaurant or two, I would plan for a few days in between the locks. Unfortunately Robert one of the best lock masters ever ad passed away the week after we spoke with him. He was a wealth of knowledge.

To the OP:

I think you're going to need to call the Welcome Center as it doesn't appear we have anyone here to transit recently, none even this year, which is understandable due to winter temperatures. However, spring conditions can be very different than those seen last fall.

Wow Dismal swamp. I thought we had it rough out here on the west coast. 5 foot draft? My alarms start sounding at 10ft!

Good luck. Be interested in following.

Wow Dismal swamp. I thought we had it rough out here on the west coast. 5 foot draft? My alarms start sounding at 10ft!

Good luck. Be interested in following.

Other routes which avoid the Great Dismal Swamp but some just can't resist and find it wonderful. It is quite a wildlife refuge.

Controlled depth is 6' but at times of the year it may be filled with a lot of growth or debris. Today's depth is here:

https://www.nao-wc.usace.army.mil/nao/albepub.html

I understand the normal surface height of Lake Drummond is 18.65' and if that is true (hopefully those more familiar will jump in), then this chart from above would indicate about 3' below normal full level right now, which would seem problematic for transit. That would not be unusual for a lake in NC waiting for spring run off from snows and for spring showers. We were always down over 4' this time of year.

Again, best source for info is the Welcome Center.

Total transit time is 4 hours minimum. 40.5 miles long.

Locks operate from 8:30-11:00 and 1:30-3:30. About 2000 boats a year on average dock at the welcome center.

https://dismalswampwelcomecenter.com/

Canal Mileage

• 18 miles between Elizabeth City and South Mills
  • 17 miles between Deep Creek Lock and Welcome Center
  • 5 miles between Welcome Center and South Mills lock
  • 22 miles between South Mills and Deep Creek
  • 40.5 miles from Elizabeth City to Deep Creek
https://dismalswampwelcomecenter.com/boating/

The 22 miles is Statute Miles of actual interior lock to lock distance at 6 st mi/hr speed limit.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

A couple "Loopers" went through yesterday and report normal depths and a few log bumps. No Hassocks or masses of floating debris as had been reported to me (second-hand) a couple days ago. We are in Elizabeth City today and will enter the Swamp tomorrow.

While the Welcome Center and the Coast Guard have useful info, they, too, are second-hand. Pilot reports from fellow cruisers that are one day old are primary info and, I believe, most reliable.

Cruising is great!

Greetings,
Mr. KF. Don't forget to get the take-out at the Quality Seafood Market, if you haven't already done so. It's in Eiringhouse(sp?) just behind the Museum of the Albermarle.

We are Swamp Commanders!

The Dismal Swamp was awesome! Thank you Looper's ahead of us for the condition reports.

It's a beautiful, peaceful place. We overnighted at the visitors center dock and met some kind fellow loopers along the way.

Another Looper qualitatively described bumps as heard vs felt.
We heard 2, felt none. We have twin skeg-protected screws.
Shallowest water we saw was 5.7' in Virginia, at the northern end.
There was little surface debris and our raw water strainers stayed clean.

Now Norfolk!

Attachments

• swamp_thing_by_patrickbrown_dee80s4-fullview.jpg
    swamp_thing_by_patrickbrown_dee80s4-fullview.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 24
For future refence the AGLCA Forum seems to have on-going discussions about the Dismal Swamp conditions.

Total transit time is 4 hours minimum. 40.5 miles long.

Locks operate from 8:30-11:00 and 1:30-3:30. About 2000 boats a year on average dock at the welcome center.

https://dismalswampwelcomecenter.com/

Correction:

Total length, lock to lock, is 22 miles. If you travel faster than min. wake speed and arrive at the other end too soon, you may be cited.

Also, the locks operate at 8:30, 11:00, 1:30 and 3:30. Not in between those hours, only at those hours. That applies to the South Mills and Deep Creek locks.

I drive by / over the canal every week. The water is looking clear now, but the duckweed bloom usually occurs later in the summer.

Correction:

Total length, lock to lock, is 22 miles. If you travel faster than min. wake speed and arrive at the other end too soon, you may be cited.

So there is a speed limit?:facepalm:

So there is a speed limit?:facepalm:

Yep...erosion would be an issue...but with the lock opening schedule, no need to go faster.

I think the canal is a historical site (1700's) and runs on a shoestring budget .....so while a great thing for some boaters as a good alternative transit to the commercial route...it gets a lot of scrutiny to keep it active.

A lot of small vessels....kayaks, canoes, tin boats, etc use it as a waterway to recreate on, not as much for passage.

Last edited:
If you hit the first lock at 8:30, you can make the other lock at 1:30, averaging 4.4 knots.
The other night there was a small trawler tied up, heading north, at the Deep Creek drawbridge, obviously waiting for the morning bridge / lock. Good place to tie up, as there's a Hardee's restaurant and a Waffle House across the street.

For anyone who opts to take the Great Dismal Swamp route, I would strongly take into consideration the "protesting" that has been going on in Elizabeth City. We stayed at the Elizabeth City welcome center a couple of summers ago and were not impressed with the quality of folks who roamed the park during late night and early morning hours. I couldn't imagine staying there currently. We will perhaps do the canal route again, for fun, but would definitely opt to anchor out rather that berth at the park.
Just an FYI

For anyone who opts to take the Great Dismal Swamp route, I would strongly take into consideration the "protesting" that has been going on in Elizabeth City. We stayed at the Elizabeth City welcome center a couple of summers ago and were not impressed with the quality of folks who roamed the park during late night and early morning hours. I couldn't imagine staying there currently. We will perhaps do the canal route again, for fun, but would definitely opt to anchor out rather that berth at the park.

Just an FYI

What does a non “quality” person look like exactly?

What does a non “quality” person look like exactly?

I'm sure you know exactly who/what I'm talking about ,friend. You can loose the "holier than thou",politically correct attitude with me, thank you.
What I'm trying to do is maybe help another boater that would be glad to know about what areas to avoid and what areas are family friendly AS PER MY EXPERIENCE.

I'm sure you know exactly who/what I'm talking about ,friend. You can loose the "holier than thou",politically correct attitude with me, thank you.
What I'm trying to do is maybe help another boater that would be glad to know about what areas to avoid and what areas are family friendly AS PER MY EXPERIENCE.

Wifey B: Then I'll add holier than though and politically correct. You only talked about not being impressed with the quality of folks. I'm not impressed with the quality of lots of folks but I'm sure my grading isn't on the same basis as yours. As to the folks who concerned you, were they committing crimes? Were they drunk? Were they using drugs? Or were they just poor or homeless? What was it that so offended and terrified you? What made it not family friendly? You're not helping other boaters by simply saying you didn't like the quality of folks. And what kind of protesting are you talking about? Protesting violence? Protesting murders? Or protesting the cost of dockage?

I don't like the stereotyping or attacks on groups of people. So toss me into the boat with Cardude. He, in his way, asked for clarification. I've now done the same. Perhaps if you clarify it will be of benefit to many others. Or you can just choose to try to attack the two of us. :angry:

Wife B , First, I didn't stereotype or attack anyone or any group. Secondly, you've made it clear numerous times that you aren't interested in the dismal swamp route, so why are you even participating in this thread? I don't owe anybody any apologies or an explanation for the way I feel about something. My wife (she has a name, btw. It's Liz) and myself both agree that when we stayed there, it was an uncomfortable environment for us. We don't care to be tied up in a marina where there are groups of people roaming and being loud FEET BEHIND OUR COCKPIT at 4AM. Cars backing into parking spots ,making some kind of transactions and leaving all night long. People in and out of the bathrooms all night long and we were the only boat there. I can go on and on. Feel free to tie up there and enjoy the atmosphere. We did not and I'm passing on MY THOUGHTS about the place to other boaters. They can take my information and use it as they choose.
Y'all can continue to get your feelings hurt by my thoughts about Elizabeth City welcome center. I have a life and need to get back to it!

Wife B , First, I didn't stereotype or attack anyone or any group. Secondly, you've made it clear numerous times that you aren't interested in the dismal swamp route, so why are you even participating in this thread? I don't owe anybody any apologies or an explanation for the way I feel about something. My wife (she has a name, btw. It's Liz) and myself both agree that when we stayed there, it was an uncomfortable environment for us. We don't care to be tied up in a marina where there are groups of people roaming and being loud FEET BEHIND OUR COCKPIT at 4AM. Cars backing into parking spots ,making some kind of transactions and leaving all night long. People in and out of the bathrooms all night long and we were the only boat there. I can go on and on. Feel free to tie up there and enjoy the atmosphere. We did not and I'm passing on MY THOUGHTS about the place to other boaters. They can take my information and use it as they choose.
Y'all can continue to get your feelings hurt by my thoughts about Elizabeth City welcome center. I have a life and need to get back to it!

Wifey B: I fully intend to do the swamp sometime, although likely by Rib as we don't have a boat really well equipped for it. However, I have docked in Elizabeth City and never had any issues there. You have expanded and cited specific issues. However, I'd respond and say that is not the norm there so hopefully other boaters won't be misled. I don't know the events surrounding your visit but I know the Waterfront Park there has many reviews on Google and ratings of 4.4 our of 5, over 600 reviews and all the recent ones are good.

I also just checked Active Captain for the Waterfront Park, Mariners Wharf, and Mariners Wharf Bulkhead and with 60 reviews there were no mentions of what you're referring to. So you've maligned a dock and town that many people praise and love as a stop. Also, if you don't like the public wharf, there is a marina, The Pelican Marina.

So, now, I've posted my opinion and think your experience was atypical when it comes to Elizabeth City. Oh and you question my dismal swamp credentials, but I've been to Elizabeth City many times versus your once. :)

Oh, and I'm glad your wife has a name. It would be a shame not to. I don't know any people without names, but then how would I as they'd have no name to know them by. :rolleyes:

Greetings,
Ms. WB. You mention Pelican Marina BUT you've forgotten about Lamb's Marina, about 4 miles up the Pasquetank (sp?) river from EC.
MUCH nicer than Pelican, IMO and MUCH more sheltered. Restaurant on site, one across the street, propane, fuel and general store. Lambs Marina
Was our home port for 5 years.

I'm sure you know exactly who/what I'm talking about...

I really don’t know what you think makes a low quality human. Are you possibly talking about people of color? Seems that way, and if so, that’s disgusting.

Seems to me you pulled up to a dock next to a public park, in a city that’s majority black, and then started to complain about all the black people hanging around. [emoji849]

Greetings,
Ms. WB. You mention Pelican Marina BUT you've forgotten about Lamb's Marina, about 4 miles up the Pasquetank (sp?) river from EC.
MUCH nicer than Pelican, IMO and MUCH more sheltered. Restaurant on site, one across the street, propane, fuel and general store. Lambs Marina
Was our home port for 5 years.

Wifey B: Yes, I didn't go to the other side to mention. Plenty of places to dock around but most like to at least visit Elizabeth City. Lambs is much nicer as a marina, but you miss the big city there. ;)

Perhaps the poster who was not impressed with the quality of the local citizenry was referring to their behavior. That's the way I interpreted his post.

I don't care what folks look like, but I do care how they behave.

Back
Top Bottom