Dismal Swamp Update?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wrote a reply earlier....then pulled it.

I was saying.... after a dozen visits or so...never a problem, but that as before 2 summers ago. A lot has happened in the meantime so I figured my input was dated.

Plus I traveled at a time of year...that "summer nights" in the city wasn't happening yet or stopped before I got there.

So I get the warning, having been on many waterfronts I am sure most here never usually stop at (unless military or commercial). I also get the 'quizzical" or "self righteous" replies. I also have avoided trouble long before it starts even though I may have been "walking through the valley....." at the wrong time all over the western hemisphere..

And no...lotsa' homeless guys here in Ft Pierce and we each other pleasantly most days and I respect them/their choice ( walk the waterfront here most days).

There are 2 places above the bridge in LizardCity that are free, downtown and more secluded from the park. They also are better in easterly or southerly winds as they aren't as choppy as the park tie-ups.

Last edited:
Perhaps the poster who was not impressed with the quality of the local citizenry was referring to their behavior. That's the way I interpreted his post.

I don't care what folks look like, but I do care how they behave.

:iagree: and learning to recognize potential trouble and leave is way better than any weapon.

This conversation went dismal.

Only if you read too much into what people say.... just like the term dismal applied to all swamps back in the day.

from Google....

People also ask

Why is it called Dismal Swamp?

Called "great," possibly because of its size, it was called "dismal" because that was a common term at the time for a swamp or morass. ... William Byrd II, an 18th century planter, is credited with giving the swamp its name on maps during his 1728 expedition to survey the border line between Virginia and North Carolina.

Greetings,
I mentioned we were in the EC area for 5 years and stopped at the visitor center many times. It is not only on the Canal, it's directly beside US 17N-busy road. Pretty well the only public restroom in the area so it sees a LOT of traffic.
We've also found a smile and a kind word minimizes any potential problems. I might also add IF you go looking for trouble, you'll find it.

From post #20.....

" We stayed at the Elizabeth City welcome center a couple of summers ago and ......"

I thought he was referring to the ECity area and not the Swamp Welcome Center.

From post #20.....

" We stayed at the Elizabeth City welcome center a couple of summers ago and ......"

I thought he was referring to the ECity area and not the Swamp Welcome Center.

Wifey B: Wasn't he? :ermm:

Only if you read too much into what people say.... just like the term dismal applied to all swamps back in the day.

I am working on the art of the subtle double entendre. :)

I really don’t know what you think makes a low quality human. Are you possibly talking about people of color? Seems that way, and if so, that’s disgusting.

Seems to me you pulled up to a dock next to a public park, in a city that’s majority black, and then started to complain about all the black people hanging around. [emoji849]

Why do you assume that? I think that is disgusting.

Perhaps the poster who was not impressed with the quality of the local citizenry was referring to their behavior. That's the way I interpreted his post.

I don't care what folks look like, but I do care how they behave.

Thank you!!

I get both sides.... not hard to see it all over these days...

This can get ugly quick.... as with many topics.... feelings are different than a couple paragraph posts can explain. Often down deep there's a lot of agreement... so please think twice before pursuing "agendas".

So much talk about healing...let's see some.

Last edited:
We have stayed at the Elizabeth City free docks a few times and never had an issue with the people hanging around the park. Most of the folks we met at Elizabeth City were nice and friendly.

There can be an issue though, if the wind is coming up the river directly towards the docks. This makes for a rough stay. The Pelican Marina nearby is cheap and decent.

Why do you assume that? I think that is disgusting.

Wifey B: He assumes that because the poster started with "protesters" and Cardude read that for exactly what it was. It as likely during a time of peaceful protesting over killing of black persons and simply based on the population there and the issue was a majority black group.

Now to the germane issue, it was likely also a one time event and not at all what you normally encounter there so misrepresents what once can expect in Elizabeth City. Note that there are no other negative posts regarding experiences with the residents there. :)

The people of Elizabeth City are known as very welcoming to boaters. :D

Well....ECity has been under curfew the last little bit for new "protesting".

Basically peaceful so far (still some trouble), but spinoffs from peaceful protesting go back a long way and nothing wrong with suggesting that there are safer places to visit ECity than the city park/waterfront.

Not every comment in the world has to be suspect of other motives....and of course now this drift has grown beyond the merits of the thread discussing the Swamp route...and now has finally turned "dismal". The warning was made, people objected....on both sides...and anyone thinks their additional comments are going to matter in the big scheme of things....yeah......

Back
Top Bottom