Cruising off New Jersey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike GB32

Vessel Name
Giddy II
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 32
So, we’ve been hunkered down in the Navesink River on our way south.
As we look for a good window to head offshore to Mannasquan Inlet I was hoping that someone here might have some advice as to what to look for as far as the best wind conditions for the offshore cruise. It’s been blowing pretty strong from the Nicole remnants and we’re anxious to leave but would like to wait for a comfortable ride. I keep reading that we should avoid an east wind. Seems to me that a westerly wind would be best.

Often ran the Jersey coast even in gales as long as they were westerlies. You can hug the beach for most of the run except near the wide, non-jettied inlets where you have to go out around the shoals.

The worst is getting around Sandy Hook. If you can clear that, it's not bad all day, just those offshore jogs. You do have to wait till the swells dies down no matter which way the winds blowing if they are still large and short periods.

For a GB 32, you can also run the NJ ICW if you keep to the 3 hours before and after the high.

20 years running that coast as a commercial captain, 13 as an assistance tower.

Your G.B. is a good boat but a little small to brave big wind and waves. Personally, I would look for a head wind with seas less than two feet. No sense getting beat up out there.

pete

Often ran the Jersey coast even in gales as long as they were westerlies. You can hug the beach for most of the run except near the wide, non-jettied inlets where you have to go out around the shoals.

The worst is getting around Sandy Hook. If you can clear that, it's not bad all day, just those offshore jogs. You do have to wait till the swells dies down no matter which way the winds blowing if they are still large and short periods.

For a GB 32, you can also run the NJ ICW if you keep to the 3 hours before and after the high.

20 years running that coast as a commercial captain, 13 as an assistance tower.

On any question pertaining to the coastal waters of New Jersey, psneeld would be my go-to guru, owing to his considerable experience. My own much narrower experience of those waters squares with his - when coasting down the Jersey shore, you want moderate winds with a westerly component.

From your jumping-off point, Manasquan Inlet is not far. Be patient and choose your weather. From Manasquan you could, as psneeld suggests, run the inside route at a leisurely pace. Sounds to me like a nice trip.

Because you have to round Sandy Hook and will be exposed to westerly winds, I would also wait for a window of 5-10 kts wind for a day or two. The wind will normally blow hard NW for three days following a big low pressure area passing through. My favorite app for monitoring these winds is FishWeather in Forecast map mode. It has wind maps in 3 hour steps showing direction and speed visually on an interactive map. Good luck.

Archie's (High Wire) advice on Joisey is solid too.

From his rep as a flounder pounder.... I am surprised the feds have't made him get a commercial fishing license. :D

This is FishWeather current forecast map. It’s easy to see this is no-go.

Attachments

• CD62D79E-A09E-47D6-B56B-D622937BE38C.jpg
    CD62D79E-A09E-47D6-B56B-D622937BE38C.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 31
I view the NJ coast as one of the most problematic. That includes Hatteras, compression zones between the Caribbean islands and Bahamian rages. Problems are several.
It’s fairly shoal quite away off so using the rule waves will break if in depths <8x height what would normally be benign ocean swells can become breaking waves. Second there’s no barrier islands or the like so the fetch is the entire North Atlantic. Third just when you need them (easterlies) the inlet approaches and entrances are difficult. Especially so without recent local knowledge. To the point we avoid them all and approach this transit as Atlantic Highlands to cape may non stop. Third even this late in the season there’s fish traps exclusion zones and working trawlers out.
We think nothing of waiting for a window. Then it’s a easy pleasant trip. Did it last month for the zillionest time. Criteria
Quiet western North Atlantic for at least a few days before and during transit.
No and I mean NO east to the wind or waves. Ideally wind waves running behind you slightly. Beats are unpleasant even on power.
Tend to run 3-5nm out. Occasionally there’s a countercurrent in your direction. Usually not much but sometimes worthwhile going further out to get its lift.
Over the years have done it in various boats. 3 times in the current boat over the last year. All non stop. Your boat isn’t too small in the right window and think if you’re full leaving you should have enough range. Fuel is available in cape may. You need to do your math. Our last trip was particularly benign. Much less traffic. Flat seas. No precipitation. Pleasant in the pilot house. To save fuel ran at 7-8kts. Ran to hit cape may at sunrise. On prior boats also planned to land at cape may at sunrise even if if meant leaving in the dark. Atlantic highlands is easy to get in and out of but like sunlight for cape may.
Sometimes use cape may to just cut through and save miles if going to the C&D. Easy to do but will check AIS, radar and schedules to avoid ferries.

Last edited:
Most of the time I ran the Jersey coast not much further out than the ends of the jetties. Maybe a couple hundred yards. The only real shoals reaching seaward are around Little Egg and usually 2.5 miles is plenty...my usual was approach the wide inlets from your normal course then just run the 3 then the 5 fathom line around them. You can feel the surge (not dangerous as long as you aren't out in 10+ foot swells).

By hugging the coast it is a much more scenic tour (binocs are great) and you avoid any chop from the westerlies if you have them. Wait too long and the wind swings fast back to a strong sou'wester or easterlies you will fight most of the way, worsening after Atlantic City southbound. If you do encounter stronger easterlies or southwesterlies, less advantage to hugging the coast.

Good news about hugging the coast, the traps are usually pretty few and far between off Jersey and less so close in. The draggers are limited to outside the 2 mile line if I recall correctly (state regs) and you will be inside the normal tug/tow routes. You are also much closer for any assistance you might need and will usually be in cell range too.

Sure nice weather is a blessing and waiting rather than chancing it is a good idea...but if you get a day where the winds are light and only expected to pick up from the west in the afternoon....and you can make it out around the hook down to Asbury Park, even better Manasquan long before it picks up...it can be a great and easy ride down the coast.

Waiting too long in late Oct and Nov can often place you in a bad situation of facing even less perfect weather as winter approaches.

Guys- first thanks for your input. I needed to hear from someone with actual knowledge not just theoretical.
Mannasquan is as far as we’d like to go. We’d be very happy waiting for tides on the inside on the NJ ICW.
I’m looking at PredictWind, Fishweather and MarvsWeather and except for MarvsWeather (Tuesday) I don’t see a decent window for the next week.
Am I wrong for thinking that we want wind at less than 15, waves at 2’ or less and waves around 6 seconds? MarvsWeather shows those conditions on Tuesday but all other predictions differ.
What would do? Seems like I may have to find a marina to sit for a while.
B6976C69-0F1C-4CFC-8C6A-89F58712BA53.jpg

Last edited:
I’m just realizing that the MarvsWeather is for Cape May to Atlantic City. South of us.

If there are large swells left in the Atlantic, they may not be too much of an issue if the period is long enough.

Just saw one chart that had 2 foot at 8 seconds tomorrow the 15th which sounds very doable. Looks like the storm swells are gone. The winds should be less than 10 knots if you get going early. Looking like around 30 miles to Manasquan Sea Buoy.

If you do Manasquan...read up on the entrance through he first couple bridges....it gets interesting with fair current and traffic which fortunately should be minimal this time of year.

Looks like tomorrow AM is your best, maybe only window for a week. If I trusted my boat mechanically and it was sea ready, and I know I could do 6.5-7 knots minimum... I would probably make the run... just rechecking the weather in the AM and checking to make sure there are no NOTAMS preventing passage of Manasquan inlet.

At this time of year, <15 mph out of the west and 2' seas is rare. You just had a window today, according to Windy but the winds shift to the east tomorrow. I would shoot for 15 mph and out of the west but ignore the seas. If the winds are right the seas should be tolerable once you get around Sandy Hook.

Also with the winds out of the west leave at the crack of dawn and maybe move over to the Atlantic Highlands anchorage to pick up some distance/time. Even with the winds forecast to be >15 mph, you should be ok that early in the morning as it should only take an hour or so to get around Sandy Hook. After that the land will block the wind.

David

I guess my dilemma is- either I leave tomorrow while it’s looking like the sea state is good or wait until later on in the week when it looks like the wind will be out of the west.
Leaving tomorrow maybe I’ll get a bit of a push from NE wind…?
PredictWind updates in about an hour and a half. That might help me decide.

What kind of speed do you cruise?

The wind is clocking from west to north to east by tomorrow noon or so.... a quartering sea can be bad for motion sickness but not dangerous or one that beats you up when making good speed. As long as it stays closer to the 10 knots predicted you should be fine, at 15.... sure it will start towards miserable but not dangerous.

Like I posted before, getting 10 knots or less all day becomes a real challenge from now on....rounding the hook as early as possible may keep it tolerable.

It's a bit of a gamble leaving tomorrow...but it's not bad for a well found boat and crew. Keep an eye on the updates is all you can do.

I guess my dilemma is- either I leave tomorrow while it’s looking like the sea state is good or wait until later on in the week when it looks like the wind will be out of the west.
Leaving tomorrow maybe I’ll get a bit of a push from NE wind…?
PredictWind updates in about an hour and a half. That might help me decide.
So just you know I have zero experience on the east coast.

However, what I can offer is this:

Take your time. Don't be on a schedule. Wait the weather out. Be safe.

We have waited two weeks for a weather window. Be careful.

Trust me. You don’t want too much of a push from NE when southbound in the ocean. It makes a truly unforgettable passage! Keyword BROACH! BTDT

Ok. Decision made.
We’re going to grab a local slip and wait.
There’s some nasty weather coming Tuesday night into Wednesday so we would want to be at a marina anyway. Might as well be here.
After that, according to PredictWind, the wind will be from the west for days and, if the predictions hold, we’ll head south Saturday with a light west wind and hopefully calm seas.
Thank-you all for your knowledge and your time.

Looking at Windy, Wednesday afternoon the winds shift to westerlies and stay that way into Friday. They are in the 15 to 18 MPH range but if you hug the coast as PS recommended then it should not be too bad.

I would agree with your decision. Most of my transits of NJ have been on a BWB set up to cross oceans. Then would do it any time of year but still paid close attention to having a decent window. With current boat (a “B”) pay more attention. The great advantage of trawlers is that wonderful inside helm so have less reluctance to go some where in the winter. As regards wind all I want is no east component. Don’t like the boat corkscrewing. Is your boat stabilized in some fashion? If not, although it’s longer, will zigzag to avoid seas and wind on the quarter. Other option, which burns more fuel, is to speed up. GBs are semi displacement so with some experimentation you usually can find a speed through the water that gives a more pleasant ride. NJ coast is shoal way out pick distance off the coast looking to be where seas are most subdued. Nothing magical about any particular distance. If I can get away with it will go further out to avoid course corrections and do it as a straight shot.
Agree Saturday looks good. Don’t feel bad about waiting. Last trip we waited 3 days just outside Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina. That marina has a significant breakwater separating it from the bay. We anchored in 12’ inside the breakwater but outside the marina mooring field. There was a really good chop running but it was totally flat there.

I don't know the ,meaning of "shoal" after 30,000 miles of ACIW cruising and assistance towing the back waters in NJ....

But the FARTHEST offshore you have to travel along the coast once past Sandy Hook is 2.0 miles for around a mile (Little Egg Inlet) ...the vast majority of water 20 feet deep is ridiculously close and pretty consistently near the beach. Sure it isn't a straight line but even long, straight legs only take you a tad further off with slight jogs around the few larger shoal areas.

Don't believe me, look at a chart.

The point of staying close is both for a more scenic ride and avoiding the same chop you get from west winds that you would get from east winds.

The water a couple hundred yards off will be like glass compared to 3 or more miles out. Plus there is a longshore southbound current in many places that gives a little push (not near the inlets though and at Wildwood near Cape May that are affected more by tidal current in and out.

But staying put till you are comfortable is always a smart move. But when you do decide to go, call a few other assistance towing captains up and down the Jersey coast for current conditions, hazards and what they feel is your best choice.

One more thing but it may be conditions and boat dependent.... heaving from a quartering sea is annoying and can be tough to steer in and may overwhelm an autopilot...but in my experience, you gain overall speed over ground from the push, not lose it because of the yawing.

Last edited:
Matter of perspective. Use to the depth not reading so yes it’s shoal. Even compared to Maine or Mass or Naragansett bays it’s shoal. All readings going down this coast are <50’. SHOAL.
This time of year not a pretty coast. Lights at night around Atlantic City pleasant but not impressive. Look at it much like the Delaware a slog to get over with with the least amount of drama. Will hunt around for a lift and go in or out for that. Often it’s not worthwhile to do. . Otherwise just set the AP and tootle along until it’s over. In the summer find if you stay inside the working boats but outside the small recreational boats you can generally do almost the whole thing on the same course never touching the wheel and only rarely the AP. In the winter will position for the most benign ride.
Have zero interest in corkscrewing. Don’t ever want to have to put a lid on my coffee cup. Will alter course repetitively to increase comfort. Comfort is our main goal not speed nor even efficiency. Will set the slowest reasonable speed that makes sure we are done well inside our weather window and make land fall in the light. That usually means for this trip we usually leave some time in the afternoon or evening and end in the morning. Therefore usually either the admiral or I is sleeping when off watch. Quiet and absence of change ensures rest. Slogging along does that best. Most of the trip is done at night. We’re not sightseeing even in the summer. It’s unusual to see more than a 1-2’ chop even miles out with a west wind. But you’re right a mile out is generally more than sufficient for a quiet low stress transit. But have no reluctance to go further out especially during the day to avoid the small boats.
Yes there’s other places you just slog through. The Delaware comes to mind. But for us the NJ coast is one of them compared to the many gorgeous coasts alone the US and Canadian east coasts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom