Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #1

City: Williamsburg, va
college aged guy in need of experience

Hello all,
If this is in the wrong location, i'm sorry, I am new
My name is Brandon and I am a nineteen year-old sophomore in college. I am out of school in early to mid MAY. I possibly going to get my captains license for 25-100 tons as soon as school is finished up. I am looking for any sort of experience on the water. I am in Virginia, but willing to travel if it is within reason. I have been around motor boats all my life and have recently bought a 26 foot "trailer sailer" for myself. I am trustworthy, dedicated,reliable, and friendly.

Available: Mid May-early June and late June- late July

thanks everyone!
Baldwinbb036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Do you have your sea time for the license? On what type of boats did you get it? Are you considering a future career in the industry?

There are captains periodically just looking for part time crew in most areas. If you want a location with more potential jobs and a lot of industry professionals, then Newport, RI would be a good summer choice. There are several crew houses there as well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Do you have your sea time for the license? On what type of boats did you get it? Are you considering a future career in the industry?

There are captains periodically just looking for part time crew in most areas. If you want a location with more potential jobs and a lot of industry professionals, then Newport, RI would be a good summer choice. There are several crew houses there as well.

I have most of my hours, still working towards them on weekends and days I have a lighter course load. The current boat I am using is a 38 egg harbor, going for my 25 tonnage license. I’m not sure about a career in the industry yet. I want to use this summer as a small taste. I know the water is calling, but I’m not sure what it’s saying yet.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwinbb036 View Post
I have most of my hours, still working towards them on weekends and days I have a lighter course load. The current boat I am using is a 38 egg harbor, going for my 25 tonnage license. I’m not sure about a career in the industry yet. I want to use this summer as a small taste. I know the water is calling, but I’m not sure what it’s saying yet.
What is your major? Perhaps you'll decide to transfer to a Maritime school.

25 tons is a fine way to start. You have a license then and just need to upgrade it over time. My wife and I both started small with 25 ton inland as I had over 1000 days on the lake, largest boat 30', when we moved to FL. By the time I got my initial license, I did have about 75 or so days near coastal on larger boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Brandon, you're close by so head over to the docks at the VA Beach Fishing Center. There's a good chance you'll find someone there who needs help on a boat which will allow you to get your time plus up your tonnage endorsement. There's everything from sport fishing to head boats to tour boats right there.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #6

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
I don't know where your at in Virginia but you could try to hire as a mate on one of the harbor ferry services. Norfolk/Portsmouth, Baltimore etc. This would get you lots of sea time.
johnrupp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
There's a few boats in Baltimore. I know living classrooms operates the Sigsbee and lady Maryland. They will probably start to look for seasonal deck hires shortly. They run all summer, you can stay on the boat and rack up a little tonnage time. Good luck
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
There's a few boats in Baltimore. I know living classrooms operates the Sigsbee and lady Maryland. They will probably start to look for seasonal deck hires shortly. They run all summer, you can stay on the boat and rack up a little tonnage time. Good luck
Is there a way you could send me some more information about this? It sounds interesting.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Keep an eye on this, it updates weekly. It's better if you show up and can shake hands.

Tall Ships America Billet Bank

Go walk some docks whenever you get the chance.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote