college aged guy in need of experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldwinbb036

Hello all,
If this is in the wrong location, i'm sorry, I am new
My name is Brandon and I am a nineteen year-old sophomore in college. I am out of school in early to mid MAY. I possibly going to get my captains license for 25-100 tons as soon as school is finished up. I am looking for any sort of experience on the water. I am in Virginia, but willing to travel if it is within reason. I have been around motor boats all my life and have recently bought a 26 foot "trailer sailer" for myself. I am trustworthy, dedicated,reliable, and friendly.

Available: Mid May-early June and late June- late July

thanks everyone!

Do you have your sea time for the license? On what type of boats did you get it? Are you considering a future career in the industry?

There are captains periodically just looking for part time crew in most areas. If you want a location with more potential jobs and a lot of industry professionals, then Newport, RI would be a good summer choice. There are several crew houses there as well.

Do you have your sea time for the license? On what type of boats did you get it? Are you considering a future career in the industry?

There are captains periodically just looking for part time crew in most areas. If you want a location with more potential jobs and a lot of industry professionals, then Newport, RI would be a good summer choice. There are several crew houses there as well.

I have most of my hours, still working towards them on weekends and days I have a lighter course load. The current boat I am using is a 38 egg harbor, going for my 25 tonnage license. I’m not sure about a career in the industry yet. I want to use this summer as a small taste. I know the water is calling, but I’m not sure what it’s saying yet.

I have most of my hours, still working towards them on weekends and days I have a lighter course load. The current boat I am using is a 38 egg harbor, going for my 25 tonnage license. I’m not sure about a career in the industry yet. I want to use this summer as a small taste. I know the water is calling, but I’m not sure what it’s saying yet.

What is your major? Perhaps you'll decide to transfer to a Maritime school.

25 tons is a fine way to start. You have a license then and just need to upgrade it over time. My wife and I both started small with 25 ton inland as I had over 1000 days on the lake, largest boat 30', when we moved to FL. By the time I got my initial license, I did have about 75 or so days near coastal on larger boats.

Brandon, you're close by so head over to the docks at the VA Beach Fishing Center. There's a good chance you'll find someone there who needs help on a boat which will allow you to get your time plus up your tonnage endorsement. There's everything from sport fishing to head boats to tour boats right there.

I don't know where your at in Virginia but you could try to hire as a mate on one of the harbor ferry services. Norfolk/Portsmouth, Baltimore etc. This would get you lots of sea time.

There's a few boats in Baltimore. I know living classrooms operates the Sigsbee and lady Maryland. They will probably start to look for seasonal deck hires shortly. They run all summer, you can stay on the boat and rack up a little tonnage time. Good luck

There's a few boats in Baltimore. I know living classrooms operates the Sigsbee and lady Maryland. They will probably start to look for seasonal deck hires shortly. They run all summer, you can stay on the boat and rack up a little tonnage time. Good luck

Is there a way you could send me some more information about this? It sounds interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom