Coffman Cove Improvements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCook

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37-065
I stayed a few days in Coffman Cove last August, waiting for Clarence Strait to get a bit more civilized.* It was pretty basic, with very little room for transient cruisers, no power on the float, and virtually nothing available on shore.* It's a good thing I'm just a little one - my boat barely fit in on the inside of the float.

I ran into the new harbormaster, who said that there was a project underway to upgrade the floats, with a lot more room for boats, water, power, etc.

Does anyone know oif this is actually proceeding?* Or when it will be done?

-- Edited by RCook at 21:27, 2009-01-11

Richard,

Coffman Cove .. not one of our 5 star comunities. You will find some very nice and amazing people there, however. In early November we embarked for Petersburg and wound up there. As usual it took much more time to get things together .. we got away late and arrived at dark. Winds were SSE at 25 to 30 rolling under us from the stbd stern quarter. I thought as we turned slightly west we'd wind up with the seas right astern .. the wind changed and the seas changed and it was stbd stern seas all the way. By the time we rafted to a fish boat in the dark and had dinner wind was up to 45 or 50 knots. Heavy rain and wind all night and through the next day. Late in the day we went to the Riggin Shack for coffee, snacks and to smell the wet dog. If we went further north we would need to beat against the gale train to get home ..*maybe not for a week. The tide in Wrangle Narrows would keep us from getting to Petersburg till the next day. Would need to anchor out probably in a questionable place in the narrows or at St Johns Hbr. We had our boating fix and decided to go home.*
Coffman Cove is another town borne of a logging camp like Thorne Bay but*more recently .. hence it's more like a logging camp. You can always anchor in the river there in front of the floats and rafting is the norm .. no need to worry if the you tied to will*like it. I don't know whats going on up there but I may find something out. Do you really live in Utah? Are you comming up here this summer? The 1st pic is Myers Chuck ( and my desktop ) and the other is of Waggonwheel cove in Port Protection.

Eric Henning*

Attachments

• 110_110 myers chuck.jpg
    110_110 myers chuck.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 112_112  port protection.jpg
    112_112 port protection.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 92
Hi Eric,*

Nice photo of Meyers Chuck!* One of my favorite stops.* It's been years since I've been to Port Protection.

I do indeed live in Utah.* Usually spend a couple of weeks on Lake Powell each year, and some weeks or months on the coast of BC and/or SE AK - last several years the whole summer.*

I was on my way from Petersburg through Snow Passage to Thorne Bay last August when the chop got sufficiently heavy to make my Border Terrier pretty nervous, so I ducked into Coffman Cove.* Our little planing hull gets pretty bouncy in Clarence Strait at 20 knots or even less.*

Wound up stuck there for five days.* After anchoring the first night I was lucky enough to find an available slip that was barely big enough.* Three days later I was getting really low on battery power, but a 50+ foot cruiser on the outside of the float was kind enough to let me plug into their 120V power to recharge.* When the weather finally laid down I grabbed the chance and boogied (well, 6.5 knots) on down toward Ketchikan, as I needed to head for home.

In all the years I've been cruising SE AK, I have yet to stop in at Thorne Bay - maybe I should come by this summer.

Richard

-- Edited by RCook at 09:49, 2009-01-13

Hi Eric, Arctic Traveller. here. Currently sitting in Ketchikan. Coffman cove is a favorite stop for us. Upgrades to the docks? Won't that be nice? Anyway, sorry we didnt make it over for a visit last fall, but we ran out of time and weather and had to hurry to town. Have a great winter..............Arctic Traveller

Trawler training and yacht charters at www.arctictraveller.com

Hi Jeff,

How much longer will you be in the Kan ? We will be going to Ketchikan the 1st or 2nd of Feb. Wev'e been through 0 degree weather and almost 3' of snow and know you've seen worse but all is well here. Actually the weather has been nice here for a while. Didn't pickle the Willy so it's been hard ( expensive ) to keep her warm enough. I'll look you up if it works that way.

Eric Henning

Back
Top Bottom