Blowin' Like Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
I was in Shilshole yesterday to finish the installation of my autopilot (and the CYC Wed night chili feed!). The overnight forecast for North Sound and the San Juans was for rain and wind with gusts to 40 knots, but when I got up, it was calm w broken clouds and occasional mist. I decided NWS had blown the forecast and set out for Port Townsend.

Well, the forecast was just 12 hours late, and caught up with me about 20 minutes before arrival... Grabbed the fuel dock just inside the entrance, where I'm still pinned by the wind. Fuel guy says, "no worries, I'm not expecting a lot of demand."

We left Pender Harbour yesterday in anticipation of the blow. Not a bad ride down to Victoria. Environment Canada was calling for up to 40 knots today in the Strait of Georgia - South of Nainaimo. Pender Harbor was supposed to get over an inch of rain...

Today we remained happily at the dock in Victoria. There was a Storm Warning outside. In the harbor we had some wind and rain, but nothing noteworthy.

Jeff

As is common, there seems to be a big discrepancy between the current forecast wind and the current station reporting.

We had winds in "No Name Cove" in Tracey Arm on Wednesday! It was high tide and there were icebergs going down the channel. Told the admiral with this SW wind we maybe leaving with little notice if the bergs entered the bay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom