Been gone awhile but,,,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Did recently make it up to Patos Is. and surrounds. Got a couple of nice pics anyway. Other life events have really cut into cruising this summer and now I await the analysis of my transmission fluid as it started making some ominous noise coming back across Rosario the other day. Anyway here is a couple of nice pix. Sunset is taken looking towards Matia Is. from Clark Is. The others are Active Cove at Patos Is., San Juans, WA.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 65
Beautiful! We'd never been to Active Cove before this year - we stopped by to see if we could grab a buoy a couple weeks ago but it was a no go. There were already two sailboats bobbing around in there. There was a good swell from the north so I'm not sure we would have enjoyed it - but high on our list.

Sorry to hear about transmission trouble. What kind of an ominous sound does one make?

Rhythmic growling at cruising speed..... and at low RPM, rattling, like bad gear lash. Still smooth in and out of gear, but the noise is new so I suspect something is amiss.
We left Clark around 0900 and bucked the tide up to Patos, came around the corner and the place was empty! I was surprised, weekday however. Later that day it filled up though. We went in right at the low of the minus tide so seemed a little shallow at the close in buoy, but later a rag boat came in and grabbed it and did OK.
Its a very pretty spot. We had hoped to explore a bit having read that neat book 'The Light on the Island', by Helen Glidden, about an early family that lived there and ran the lighthouse, but there wasn't time. Maybe next year, I plan to go back.

Single engine?

If so, that must have been a nervous ride home.

It could be your damper plate. Pretty easy, relatively cheap fix. The growl indicates internal problems but the rattle really sounds like a damper plate. Good Luck.

pete

Beautiful shots! Hope the transmission is okay.

I agree w Pete.
Do you (have you) spent a lot of time idling? Like trolling for fish.
Or do you have idle rpm set too low. Not uncommon.
A lot more work than changing oil.
But a lot less that go’in to see Mike at HM.

Really good pictures. Especially the one w great comp in the middle.

Spent a couple of nights at Patos Is. last year. Very pretty and out of the way. Are you familiar with "The Light on the Island," by Helen Gliddens? In the early 1900s she lived there with her 12 siblings when her dad was the lighthouse keeper, and wrote about her many adventures. Fascinating...
Oldersalt

Spent a couple of nights at Patos Is. last year. Very pretty and out of the way. Are you familiar with "The Light on the Island," by Helen Gliddens? In the early 1900s she lived there with her 12 siblings when her dad was the lighthouse keeper, and wrote about her many adventures. Fascinating...
Oldersalt
Yes, I mentioned it in post 3, much of the impetus for going there. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom