Is Anyone Cruising Right Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got done with a 10 day cruise that included 4 stops on the hook in the San Juans... weather was perfect for the PNW in September! :)

Social distancing at the Channel Islands. My sons occupation was hit hard by Covid so he will be unemployed for awhile but he has been able to spend more time on the boat with us so I am thankful for that.

Attachments

• 4A95CA99-A2A7-43A8-9656-55066F24ECA7.jpg
    4A95CA99-A2A7-43A8-9656-55066F24ECA7.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Social distancing at the Channel Islands. My sons occupation was hit hard by Covid so he will be unemployed for awhile but he has been able to spend more time on the boat with us so I am thankful for that.

Oh man. That’s stunning!

Gorgeous! Are you getting any smoke out there? Things seem to be clearing up here in San Diego.

I'm starting to plan a 3-4 week trip for October up to Santa Barbara and down through the channel islands, Santa Anas permitting...

rslifkin, thanks so very much for those great pics.
It takes a good cameraman to do justice to urban areas. :dance:

rslifkin, thanks so very much for those great pics.
It takes a good cameraman to do justice to urban areas. :dance:
The sunset pictures are easy in this case. Something about the sunsets in Oswego combined with the harbor shoreline just seems to lead to good pictures without trying. The sunsets I've seen there have all ranged from "good" to "spectacular". I've never seen a bad one.

CarDude, thanks. My trusty Drone almost went over the side on the landing after that shot.

SoCalRider: We started getting smoke at the Islands last Sunday. We were out there for about 4 weeks and the last 10 days I was solo. I arrived in LA two days ago to get some provisions. It’s nice to be plugged in and behind a breakwater for awhile. Heading back out to the Islands early next week when my wife and son can join me again. Hope your October trip goes well. Keep us posted.

SoCalRider: We started getting smoke at the Islands last Sunday. We were out there for about 4 weeks and the last 10 days I was solo. I arrived in LA two days ago to get some provisions. It’s nice to be plugged in and behind a breakwater for awhile. Heading back out to the Islands early next week when my wife and son can join me again. Hope your October trip goes well. Keep us posted.

Fantastic. Will do.

How's the cell service out that way? With my cell booster I was able to get Verizon even at Little Harbor on the back side of Catalina - no internet, but enough for phone/texts to keep my business going. Hoping I can do the same there.

Fantastic. Will do.

How's the cell service out that way? With my cell booster I was able to get Verizon even at Little Harbor on the back side of Catalina - no internet, but enough for phone/texts to keep my business going. Hoping I can do the same there.

I also have a cell booster. I can get coverage on the back side (Cat Harbor) but low data, same as you. Amazingly, we even got some texts to go through while at Santa Barbara Island.

The longer term solution for my wife who is still working is a Sateliite system, possibly this Winter.

I pulled in to Little Harbor to check it out, but It was fairly full.

I also have a cell booster. I can get coverage on the back side (Cat Harbor) but low data, same as you. Amazingly, we even got some texts to go through while at Santa Barbara Island.

The longer term solution for my wife who is still working is a Sateliite system, possibly this Winter.

I pulled in to Little Harbor to check it out, but It was fairly full.

Cool - how about around the other Channel Islands (Santa Cruz, Anacapa in particular)?

I could actually get data in Cat Harbor even without the booster, but I was on a mooring ball pretty close in at the time.

On the hook for two nights at my favorite anchorage at Cabbage Island. Nice sunset. An after picture with smoke from the US.
20200910_200407.jpg

Wifey B: No boating today. Thunderstorms and 35 mph winds and 45 mph gusts, we decided to make ourselves comfortable on land. :rofl:

Sorry to those of you on the Gulf coast that we sent 19, who became Sally, on her way and now she's headed in your direction and apparently having some kind of temper tantrum. Going to be strong CAT 1 and I'm afraid could be a CAT 2 by Louisiana. Bi.ch. :mad:

Trying to wave for 20 to stay far away from shore. Teddy, we can do without. As we can do fine without Vicky, Wilfred, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and all the other Greeks. No criticism of Greeks, just don't like them in the form of Fraternities, Sororities, or Hurricanes. :eek:

Planned to go up to Fernandina two weeks ago but they had no space because the were reworking the inside docks. Booked to go last week but had to cancel due to weather, rebooked for today.

Forecast for today is light winds but 50-60% chance of rain.

No more cancelling! The next two days look nice once lay down Sally heads off.

So we're going!

We got back from our trip into the NY canals Sunday afternoon. Totals for the trip are as follows:

8 days, 7 nights
2 water tank fills, 0 shore power hookups
28 hours on the engines, 16 on the generator
172.2 nautical miles traveled in 22 hrs, 50 minutes of moving time (doesn't count time in locks or waiting for locks)
16 locks (8 up, 8 down)

Pictures are in chronological order starting with arrival in Oswego, marked by the lighthouse. Next post will have a couple more pictures due to the 10 photo limit.

What was your starting point of your trip?

What was your starting point of your trip?

We started out in Rochester, NY. Ran down Lake Ontario to Oswego and into the canals from there. We made it as far as Brewerton and explored around the west end of Oneida Lake a bit before we started working our way back.

We started out in Rochester, NY. Ran down Lake Ontario to Oswego and into the canals from there. We made it as far as Brewerton and explored around the west end of Oneida Lake a bit before we started working our way back.

That's a decent trip. I was curious what part of the canals you were in. Last year I purchased a boat in Lake Champlain and took the canals to Albany, then down the Hudson, around Manhattan, and into Long Island Sound. Not a bad maiden voyage for us.

That's a decent trip. I was curious what part of the canals you were in. Last year I purchased a boat in Lake Champlain and took the canals to Albany, then down the Hudson, around Manhattan, and into Long Island Sound. Not a bad maiden voyage for us.

I did the Hudson, Eastern Erie Canal, and Oswego Canal last year when I first brought this boat up to Rochester from its previous home in Stamford, CT. Definitely some nice views on that trip, although we took the shortcut across the top of Manhattan to save time.

I'm sure you saved some time and money by not circling Manhattan, but and overnight in Liberty Landing and a night in the city was fun, not to mention lots of good views from the water.

I'm sure you saved some time and money by not circling Manhattan, but and overnight in Liberty Landing and a night in the city was fun, not to mention lots of good views from the water.

We weren't ready for an overnight anywhere near that soon, otherwise it would have been a consideration. As it stood, we ended up in Haverstraw the first night due to a transmission issue. Our original target that day was Castleton. That trip was unfortunately not at sightseeing pace, it was 8 - 10+ hour days of "do 17 kts anywhere we can" kind of delivery pace.

That sounds a little grueling. Granted you had a lot of miles to cover. We decide to make our trip into somewhat of a vacation and enjoy the trip. We didn't push that hard or that long and took nearly a week. Circling Manhattan, statue of liberty, etc, is worth the extra time if you have it. it was certainly a highlight of our trip.

That sounds a little grueling. Granted you had a lot of miles to cover. We decide to make our trip into somewhat of a vacation and enjoy the trip. We didn't push that hard or that long and took nearly a week. Circling Manhattan, statue of liberty, etc, is worth the extra time if you have it. it was certainly a highlight of our trip.

Nearly a week was the original plan. We were figuring 7 - 8 hour days with some time to smell the roses here and there. But we burned most of our contingency time on the transmission issue, so we just went flat out from there. When we got out of Haverstraw it was 11.5 hours straight through to Schenectady followed by a pair of 10.5 hour days. We'll re-trace more of that trip at a much more sedate pace at some point when time allows.

We just got back from a short trip to the San Juan's. Spent a few nights in Roche and one at Rosario. First trip we didn't anchor out and never even launched the dinghy. Smoke was really bad, especially for the first two days.
Nice relaxing trip regardless and good to be out on the water.

Now back to work for a while. That may be the last time we get to cruise this year as we have some family commitments for the remainder. I need to figure out winterizing since the boat will be on the hard for the winter in Anacortes. We don't get much chance of doing that down in San Diego....

Just spent a week on the north side of Long Island. Anchored in Lake Montauk and Three Mile Harbor then went across the Sound to Clinton for a rare week in a marina. The wife’s sister has COPD and is not doing well, so she wants to spend some time with her before we go south. We still have to spend a few days in Oxford MD letting our canvas guy install the snaps for the new cushions and deck box seats he made for us. Then it’s off to JAX and then Marathon for the winter.

We are 1/2 way through September and with 5 cyclonic storms working, I think we will stay up north a bit longer. That means a chilly trip south in October.

Just spent a week on the north side of Long Island. Anchored in Lake Montauk and Three Mile Harbor then went across the Sound to Clinton for a rare week in a marina. The wife’s sister has COPD and is not doing well, so she wants to spend some time with her before we go south. We still have to spend a few days in Oxford MD letting our canvas guy install the snaps for the new cushions and deck box seats he made for us. Then it’s off to JAX and then Marathon for the winter.

We are 1/2 way through September and with 5 cyclonic storms working, I think we will stay up north a bit longer. That means a chilly trip south in October.

If you have to be at a marina for a week, Cedar Island in Clinton is a good one.

Is anyone cruising right now?

Anyone cruising in the Bahamas lately? We are off on a long delayed trip and plan to stay in the Bahamas for October & November. Anyone out there? Whats it like in these Covid days?

Anyone cruising in the Bahamas lately? We are off on a long delayed trip and plan to stay in the Bahamas for October & November. Anyone out there? Whats it like in these Covid days?

Are you up to date on the testing requirements for first entry and for moving between islands?

On the hook in Tenedos Bay for a few days before the big smoke rolled in. 12-15 boats in the bay while we were there. We tucked in behind the rocks by the start of the Bold Head trail, so pretty much alone. Did the usual hikes to "the flagpole", top of Bold Head and Unwin Lake for a swim.

Smokey as can be on the way home. Of course, I had just removed my radar as I am rebuilding my aluminum mast. All I had was an anchor light on a temporary PVC pipe. PXL_20200912_025709403.jpegPXL_20200912_023649860.jpegPXL_20200911_235636128.jpegPXL_20200911_184041452.PANO.jpegPXL_20200911_221932594.PANO.jpgPXL_20200913_172910934.jpeg

Last edited:

Wifey B: With the ever changing testing requirements and things you can and can't do, most people around us are saying it's just not worth it and doing the Keys instead. :D

Here's the latest.

https://bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols/

We live 50 nm from the Bahamas and haven't been. I know some who were cruising there and others who canceled even after getting their Covid 19 tests and being ready to go. :nonono:

We're out cruising today in my fave baby and even checking out the ICW to see if we've missed anything. Just hubby and me today which is unusual. Nice out. Sure felt guilty calling Pensacola to check on people there while we're in beautiful conditions. We have nothing open in that area yet but construction in two stores was scheduled to start today and managers have been hired.

Taken yesterday on the AICW just north of the Wonderwood Bridge.

Attachments

• eagle pair.jpg
    eagle pair.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom