Is Anyone Cruising Right Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We recently returned from a 6 week trip up the coast and the Islands. Heading out again this week for another one. We keep to ourselves, rarely leave the boat and if we do wear a mask and practice social distancing. Spending lots of time in the water with the sea creatures which has been a good thing.

Attachments

• 2C5A2F67-19AE-4839-AEE5-649FEB4BC19B.jpeg
    2C5A2F67-19AE-4839-AEE5-649FEB4BC19B.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 67
We just got back from two weeks slowly circumnavigating Catalina from San Diego. It was fantastic. We enjoyed our new-to-us trawler immensely, and it's proven to be a perfect upgrade from our 40' Beneteau which we took to Catalina last year. Cargo included a wife, three daughters, a 75lb greyhound and three mice.

Here are a couple of pics from the leeward side and then Little Harbor on the back side of the island. First time anchoring bow & stern for us; we stayed there for three glorious days.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-08-11 at 8.15.09 AM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-11 at 8.15.09 AM.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 57
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-08-11 at 8.14.21 AM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-11 at 8.14.21 AM.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 63
Heading out tomorrow for a week-long cruise of CT and RI, both are low risk states right now. Possibly a stop somewhere in Long Island, NY as well.

We have done a few 3 and 4 day trips. A out to finish up an 8 day trip to Sucia Islands, Roche and Spencer spit

Attachments

• 20200813_190008.jpg
    20200813_190008.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200813_185615.jpg
    20200813_185615.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200810_113349.jpg
    20200810_113349.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200809_203205.jpg
    20200809_203205.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 52
Just returned to San Diego after 2 months up on our mooring at Cherry Cove on Catalina Island. Amazing how many boats came in and out of the cove during that time. Masks are required to go ashore where we went each day for a hike. Weather was good. We made a stop on the way up and back in Newport Beach which was also really nice. Ross and Juli MV Boppy's Star 58 Westbay

Cruising PacNW

Plenty of cruising going on in PacNW. Puget Sound and San Juan Islands are seeing record crowds at anchorages, marinas and parks (some with limited amenities), especially since, with the border closed, many boaters are unable to cross into BC or go up to Alaska as usual. There are also a large number of new go-fast boaters who seem unaware of boating etiquette and their own wakes

While we took time earlier in the summer to undertake some major projects, were on day #2 of cruising in the San Juans for 2 weeks, then back again next month.

(Anchored at Langley. Cruising north towards Deception Pass. Hmm - pics didn't post.)

Attachments

• 20200814_094356.jpg
    20200814_094356.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200814_113934.jpg
    20200814_113934.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 54
We decided a long weekend of cruising was called for. Apparently, a large part of our executive group of our business agreed and are along for the ride. Headed for the Dry Tortugas. Just for the scenery and perhaps look at more areas around the Keys. We've done more anchoring out in the past month or so than in our lives as we normally use marinas.

Cruising Reply

We completed our first multi-day cruise last week. We traveled slowly for 6 days exploring river towns on the Hudson River, lauching at Champlain Canal Lock 1 and then motoring south to Poughkeepsie then back.

Our boat is not a trawler, more like a living room on a raft, but it worked well. We faced tornados and the recent coastal storm, so we turned around making our adventure shorter than what it could have been, but it was a lot of fun. Glad we brought our bicycles for exploring the river towns.

Attachments

• Launch.jpg
    Launch.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Locking.jpg
    Locking.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Kingston Lighthouse.jpg
    Kingston Lighthouse.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Best First Mate.jpg
    Best First Mate.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 88
So glad to see people actually using their boat, other than visiting it in the slip.

Getting ready to head back down to Pairadice on the hard in San Carlos, MX. We will move her to the work yard to get maintenance and a few repairs done before putting her back in the water.
Bottom Job, New Zincs, New Cutless bearing, rebuilding both Thrusters, Waste tank lines and tank inspection, R&R all heat exchangers, canvas repair’s and make new fender covers.
Then a really good wash and wax job.

Then we will start the slow trip to Bara Navidad, to meet up with the Panama Posse. Hoping this Covid thing is not going to hinder going through the Canal sometime early next year.

Enjoy the cruising gang, Cheers!

We just got back from two weeks slowly circumnavigating Catalina from San Diego. It was fantastic. We enjoyed our new-to-us trawler immensely, and it's proven to be a perfect upgrade from our 40' Beneteau which we took to Catalina last year. Cargo included a wife, three daughters, a 75lb greyhound and three mice.

Here are a couple of pics from the leeward side and then Little Harbor on the back side of the island. First time anchoring bow & stern for us; we stayed there for three glorious days.

Congratulations for your new vessel. Nice pics.

Absolutely!

Been cruising since May. Florida to the Chesapeake. Up to Martha’s Vineyard and Cape Cod. Having a great time. Most of the time we are unaware of COVID. We are currently on plan C and may turn to D.

Last edited:
Just Montague Harbour so far

Schedule hampered more by upgrade & repair issues and medical appointments than by the virus but hoping for more in the next six weeks as those items clear. Staying south, however - close to home.
This interesting moonpath pic was on 31 July at about 10:30pm.
Thanks to all for pics!

Attachments

• 20200731_223157.jpg
    20200731_223157.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 46
Stuck in Home Port

I had a lovely six-week trip planned through the Canadian canals and Lake Champlain. Didn't happen. Maybe next year. Doing some day trips and hopefully a couple weeks out L.I. Sound in September. Anyone have any influence in keeping September storms out of L.I. Sound?

We started a slow cruise north from Brooklyn in NSW late June. Recently completed a transit from Port Stephens to Coffs Harbour, with two nights on anchor at open road steads and one night in Crowdy Head Boat Harbour. We’re staying at Coffs for about a month before heading north to Yamba. IMG_7780.jpgIMG_7781.jpgIMG_7782.jpgIMG_7783.jpgIMG_7784.jpg

Been six weeks on the boat in Georgian Bay, the boat makes a good bubble for ua as we always anchor out, have to touch shore every 10 days or so.

lots of other boats out up here, but no Americans, as the border is closed.

Rod,

Brava

Planned to start the Great Loop this summer, but settled for a trip through the Finger Lakes and western Erie Canal. Videos to be posted on YouTube.

Great.

Keep them coming for we who are homebound right now!

Absolutely. No better way to sequester yourself. Left our home Port RI 2+ weeks ago heading north. Won’t return home for another 4 weeks. Lots of folks cruising

Just finished a month in Boston and Gloucester. Had an awesome time and now returning to NY. Stay safe.

Sylphide and I made it back to our home port. We're currently tied up to the wall at Sylvan Beach on Oneida Lake. It's been a whirlwind week of family, friends, locks, sweat, fried fish, and strangers asking me what kind of sailboat this is. Planning to set off tomorrow back toward the east and the Hudson River.

My folks and my sister will be aboard for a few days. We haven't all gone on a boat trip together since 1998, I think. I'm really happy to be doing it again.

Definitely! We left Beaufort SC aboard Liberty, our Heritage 36, end of April and traveled up to the York River in the Chesapeake. Spent a couple of weeks taking care of medical appointments and then continued our trip north. We only went as far as Kittery Maine this year but spent lots of time exploring and re-exploring areas, clamming (purchase non-resident licenses) and staying active while social distancing. We left Port Washington NY yesterday and are making our way back to the Chesapeake. My husband is post transplant so he's extremely high risk. As a result, we've had to change some of our activities as we travel but regardless are loving every minute on the water (well, we might exclude the day of the tropical storm). We'll most likely stay aboard through September and October.

The San Juans in WA are busy to say the least. With the border closed all the big boats are here. Roche Harbor looked like a mini Monaco. Did I mention a lot of large boats? 10 days now in the SJIs then a week at home, then 2-3 weeks in South Puget Sound. (Sorry, can’t rotate the one shot of boats in Prevost Harbor.). Garrison Bay was equally well populated.

Attachments

• 1022CCA6-4F04-46E8-A3DA-4689D48A235E.jpeg
    1022CCA6-4F04-46E8-A3DA-4689D48A235E.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 49
  • 3AC02873-88F7-491A-A354-202372FA86EC.jpeg
    3AC02873-88F7-491A-A354-202372FA86EC.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 61DB92FB-4E3F-43D1-B755-49C127FB565C.jpeg
    61DB92FB-4E3F-43D1-B755-49C127FB565C.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 50
  • C31237E4-F2D3-49C3-9878-546EAE5B9205.jpeg
    C31237E4-F2D3-49C3-9878-546EAE5B9205.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 48
We just put in to take the week before labor day off. That'll give us 10 days on the boat. Not quite sure where we're going yet. We'll likely just wander towards Oswego and down the canal a bit and decide our plans day by day.

We haven’t gone anywhere since my son and I moved the boat from Stuart to Jacksonville in May. With covid it’s hard getting from Texas to Florida to enjoy the boat because I’m too scared to fly. Jewel and I might make the long drive in September maybe and do a cruise up the St Johns and just anchor out for a few days?

Can we swim anywhere on the St Johns or is it too dirty or alligator infested?

If you want to go swimming you may want to look at going over to Fort George River for a couple of mid week nights, then up and anchor off Cumberland for a couple of nights (the ocean beach there is fantastic), then Fernandina on the way back for a night to walk-around and have dinner.

Early morning youtube video of Fort George River with Sian walking the pooch. There are plenty of great sand bars to swim off.

https://youtu.be/f5UAvuIgUjU

Last edited:
If you want to go swimming you may want to look at going over to Fort George River for a couple of mid week nights, then up and anchor off Cumberland for a couple of nights (the ocean beach there is fantastic), then Fernandina on the way back for a night to walk-around and have dinner.

Early morning youtube video of Fort George River with Sian walking the pooch. There are plenty of great sand bars to swim off.

Oh man that looks nice with all the sandbars. Looks like a fun place to explore in the dinghy. That’s good swimming there? Clear water?

Been lazily cruising the Columbia River since 1 June. Our Canada plans are gone with the border closures so we are consoling ourselves with having enough fuel to not have to go to the fuel dock at all this year. Small bonus, but we'll take what we can get.
Besides, the PNW is an awesome cruising ground in summer. And boatin' beats workin'!

Putting our boat in Cathlamet Sunday to crude the Columbia River

Back
Top Bottom