Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #161
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,915
That's not cruising - that's voyaging!

Stay safe.
__________________
Advertisement

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #162
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,253
Unfortunately no more cruising for us this year. 2 weeks until winter haulout. So we'll manage 1 more weekend, then it's time to start winterizing and offloading.
__________________

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #163
Veteran Member
 
Medic's Avatar
 
City: Hilton Head, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mimi's Oasis
Vessel Model: North Pacific 49
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 80
So, other than that are you gonna be doing anything?
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #164
Member
 
City: Heritage Pointe
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Lady Luna
Vessel Model: 70’ Hatteras LRC
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 12
Nope that’s about it. Thanks all for the good wishes, really had a tough decision with this covid stuff but we thought that the safest place to be would be on a boat away from crowds.
__________________
Rocky & Renaye
m/y “Lady Luna”
“Second Star to the Right and Straight on ‘Till Morning “
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #165
Veteran Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: usa
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Nope that’s about it. Thanks all for the good wishes, really had a tough decision with this covid stuff but we thought that the safest place to be would be on a boat away from crowds.
You should post a thread & keep it updated with pictures. I know a lot of us would love to see your progress! I'm envious!
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #166
Senior Member
 
City: Warwick RI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 413
We finished up this weekend and will start the winterization tomorrow. A bunch of our large boat friends are gearing up to head south in the coming weeks. I am jealous. Maybe someday.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #167
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,298
Wifey B: Well, we're not going anywhere but still cruising every weekend. This past weekend we spent about 12 hours on the water and covered over 300 nm and ended up right where we started again.

I learned of boating as the best way ever to relieve all stress of work in 2001 when my hubby, fiancee at the time, took me our and then after we were married in June of 2001. It didn't matter how hard the day was or the week was if we could get even an hour on the water. It's like the breeze in your face blows all other thoughts away.

Today with all that's going on and the two of us actually working to keep business going and try to keep people employed. So, we can't cruise anywhere, but we can get out on the water and we do every weekend. And for us as well as our extended family which is all working with us, it washes away the stress of the week, the stress of the world. When we're on the water, we're free. It refreshes and equips us to face what we must during the next week.

I remember the first time I saw my hubby at the helm of our small boat on the lake and he was transformed. I could see it in his face, in his relaxed body. He was no longer a businessman, but a boater. The child of him emerged. Then he asked me if I wanted to try driving the boat. That was eay to answer, " yeah". I guess I thought it would feel like driving a car, but it didn't, not at all. It was exhilarating, it was beautiful, it was so sensual in that it brought all the senses into play, the smell of fresh air, the touch of it across you, the sounds of the water, the beauty of the lake. I was hooked, just as much as if it had been heroin or something but much safer. The water is our escape, our safe zone, our heaven on earth.

And one last thing, you can never explain the feeling to a non-boater. They have nothing in their experiences to compare it to as you describe it. It has to be experienced.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #168
Member
 
City: Heritage Pointe
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Lady Luna
Vessel Model: 70’ Hatteras LRC
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 12
BandB,
Well said, that feeling that you are describing is Euphoric, that’s how our sailboat got her name “Euphoria” got that great feeling every time we stepped onboard.
__________________
Rocky & Renaye
m/y “Lady Luna”
“Second Star to the Right and Straight on ‘Till Morning “
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #169
Guru
 
klee wyck's Avatar
 
City: Seattle and Blaine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 508
Fall has definitely set in, but still good cruising here in the PNW and the last few days did not disappoint.
Highlights include whales and this peaceful little board cruise with a trusty companion aboard and Klee Wyck in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Board cruise.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	109061  
__________________
Bill
klee wyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #170
Veteran Member
 
Mike Lowthian's Avatar
 
City: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Acadia ll
Vessel Model: CHB
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 85
Is anyone cruising right now?

Ahoy all. Just wrapping up a month long cruise in the Bahamas. All is well and the weather has been fine. Covid protocols are manageable but necessary. Bahamians are serious in there efforts to do the right thing. Very few cruising boats - practically none. Same for tourists.

One strange thing I noticed, between Bimini and the Berry Islands, still on the Bahama Bank in about 75 feet of water were about 19 large cruise ships anchored about a mile or less apart. Sort of a cruise ship parking lot. Guess it is a lot cheaper than some dock in Florida? Apparently has caused a lot of contraversy locally.

Stay safe & healthy all.

Mike
Mike Lowthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #171
Senior Member
 
City: Stratford
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, we're not going anywhere but still cruising every weekend. This past weekend we spent about 12 hours on the water and covered over 300 nm and ended up right where we started again.

I learned of boating as the best way ever to relieve all stress of work in 2001 when my hubby, fiancee at the time, took me our and then after we were married in June of 2001. It didn't matter how hard the day was or the week was if we could get even an hour on the water. It's like the breeze in your face blows all other thoughts away.

Today with all that's going on and the two of us actually working to keep business going and try to keep people employed. So, we can't cruise anywhere, but we can get out on the water and we do every weekend. And for us as well as our extended family which is all working with us, it washes away the stress of the week, the stress of the world. When we're on the water, we're free. It refreshes and equips us to face what we must during the next week.

I remember the first time I saw my hubby at the helm of our small boat on the lake and he was transformed. I could see it in his face, in his relaxed body. He was no longer a businessman, but a boater. The child of him emerged. Then he asked me if I wanted to try driving the boat. That was eay to answer, " yeah". I guess I thought it would feel like driving a car, but it didn't, not at all. It was exhilarating, it was beautiful, it was so sensual in that it brought all the senses into play, the smell of fresh air, the touch of it across you, the sounds of the water, the beauty of the lake. I was hooked, just as much as if it had been heroin or something but much safer. The water is our escape, our safe zone, our heaven on earth.

And one last thing, you can never explain the feeling to a non-boater. They have nothing in their experiences to compare it to as you describe it. It has to be experienced.

Reminds me of a good quote: "If you are not a boater, no explanation is possible. If you are a boater, no explanation is necessary." Thanks for the great post!
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #172
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowthian View Post
One strange thing I noticed, between Bimini and the Berry Islands, still on the Bahama Bank in about 75 feet of water were about 19 large cruise ships anchored about a mile or less apart. Sort of a cruise ship parking lot. Guess it is a lot cheaper than some dock in Florida? Apparently has caused a lot of contraversy locally.

Stay safe & healthy all.

Mike
Wifey B: We see them every time we go out any distance. They're everywhere.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×